+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AH toning down expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Of course he may have spent the funds clearing up after R.T. just a thought like.
    Same as RT did after Munto then.Too many things similar to RT when he first took over

No-one had expectations of promotion with the squad we had at the start of the season. The main person building up expectations was AH himself, and he has specifically mentioned promotion in a number of Tweets. And promotion was part of his 3 year plan, I understood, with a year's consolidation in League One before getting promoted to the Championship. Really, he makes it up as he goes along. There's more sense coming from the parody account.

In a way, AH is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Football fans (and players) are such that you need to sell them a dream if they're going to get them to attend (or sign). As one poster has said above, there's nothing wrong with setting the expectations bar high, because you never know what's possible until you try, but that doesn't mean the chairman/manager/players should be condemned if we fall a bit short or don't progress as quickly as some would like. Overall, we're having a successful season, and the only reason people are a bit frustrated at the moment is that the past couple of months haven't been as good as the early months.

To my knowledge, AH has never claimed to have oodles of money to invest, and if we've learned anything over the past few years it's not to trust those who say they have. I do wish football people generally would stop talking about 3-5 year plans, because it's all twaddle. Football is such an unpredictable game with so many variables that you can't possibly "plan" it in the way you do other businesses. If you've got mega rich owners then you can iron out some of those variables and increase your chances of getting where you want when you want, but for most clubs the only sensible choice is to make sure you live within your means and try to recruit the manager/players who, with a bit of luck thrown in, can move you gradually upwards. I think this is exactly where Notts County are at present with Hardy and Nolan, and it's okay.
    Last edited by jackal2; 24-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Latest tweets:

"Our 3 and 5 year plan didn’t have us promoted this season. This year was about consolidation, get the building blocks and infrastructure in place. But the fact we’re right up there and giving ourselves a real shot is a massive bonus. Let’s see where it takes us. Enjoy the journey"

"Laying solid foundations for the future was our prime target this year. You can’t build a magnificent structure on sand"

Bit of a change from automatics and consolidation in League 1 next year. Sounds as if reality has hit.

What I don't get is how KN got this side to perform in the second half of last season but can't replicate it this season - if he did we'd be up.

So no possible matches v Sunderland, Birmingham and still an outside chance of the inbreds racing past our ground to play Rushcliffe Rovers - how much would that hurt?
    I don’t think the public simmering of expectations is such a bad thing. It will take the pressure off the manager and players and it may actually get rid of the noose from their necks for the final 1/4 of the season and release the pressure on them.

What’s happened this season has not been boring. We raced to the top of the league after only a month and had our best start to a season in many people’s living memory. Certainly in my time as a supporter.

Then we’ve found out that for one reason and another this has not been sustainable long term, certainly since Christmas, so as our form has dropped the pressure has piled on due to position we got ourselves in and the level of expectation.

Had we been consistently around 5-10th for most of the season (which would have been much more boring) everything would be much more positive than it’s been of late.

There is still 12 games left so let’s enjoy the rest of the rollercoaster and see what happens. It’s certainly far to early to give this season up.

And so what the club is £250k better off than where he expectedly it to be? So we have money to spend?maybe we are still running at a loss? I mean it says quite clearly club losses are £250k less than expected, not that we are running a profit of £250k

Anyway if that money was available delving into the Winter transfers window probably isn’t the best way to utilise that money. Any player would cost money and isn’t guaranteed to go straight into our lineup. At our level we should just be picking up free agents in the summer.

Alan Hardy is still learning as a chairman just as Nolan is learning as a manager. It will be painful at times as both are green. If Ray Trew was still chairman we would probably be talking about this being a must win game for Nolan.…at least we have moved on from that and hopefully are in an era of stability.

Don’t have an issue with him managing his expectations, however if we were looking for a season of consolidation and laying the foundations for a 3-5 year plan of getting to the championship why didn’t the club make a decision to blood some more youth this season?

Solid foundations mean having a squad of players that can grow and develop as the club progresses. With a bit of luck one or two of them could end up making us a few quid, something Pavis managed to achieve with the likes of Draper, Johnson, Short etc.

I will be disappointed if we drop out of the playoffs by end of the season but mainly because we seem to have capitulated in classic Notts fashion.

The most important thing about this club though is it’s future and sustainability. Promotion could actually be a bad thing for us this season as we don’t really have a core squad of players that will ensure we consolidate in L1. Personally I would have been happy to see us involve some of our own younger fringe players rather than relying on being a feeder club for them lot over the river.

Also, upgrading to “premier league” changing rooms was a massive cock up in my view. Built up players ego’s unnecessarily and was a complete waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Getsmart View Post
    And so what the club is £250k better off than where he expectedly it to be? So we have money to spend?maybe we are still running at a loss? I mean it says quite clearly club losses are £250k less than expected, not that we are running a profit of £250k
    Well Getsmart, get smart. My comment was to Bridg4d_pie who alluded to the fact we hadn't got any spare and however you wish to read AH's statement, which clearly states the losses are £250k LESS than expected (I actually quoted his words so no need to use any "maybe") and thus not that we hadn't got any spare.

So it's AH's choice how to handle that situation but it is not what Bridg4d_pie said.

[QUOTE=sidders;38810470]Like your posts, Irish, but oh how I wish you'd learn that definitely does NOT have an a in it. When I was a teacher, it was among the most annoying mis-spellings along with separate NOT seperate (there's a rat in separate, I taught the kids).

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In a way, AH is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Football fans (and players) are such that you need to sell them a dream if they're going to get them to attend (or sign). As one poster has said above, there's nothing wrong with setting the expectations bar high, because you never know what's possible until you try, but that doesn't mean the chairman/manager/players should be condemned if we fall a bit short or don't progress as quickly as some would like. Overall, we're having a successful season, and the only reason people are a bit frustrated at the moment is that the past couple of months haven't been as good as the early months.

To my knowledge, AH has never claimed to have oodles of money to invest, and if we've learned anything over the past few years it's not to trust those who say they have. I do wish football people generally would stop talking about 3-5 year plans, because it's all twaddle. Football is such an unpredictable game with so many variables that you can't possibly "plan" it in the way you do other businesses. If you've got mega rich owners then you can iron out some of those variables and increase your chances of getting where you want when you want, but for most clubs the only sensible choice is to make sure you live within your means and try to recruit the manager/players who, with a bit of luck thrown in, can move you gradually upwards. I think this is exactly where Notts County are at present with Hardy and Nolan, and it's okay.
    Its Okay Dokey with me its 100% + improvement on the last regime.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Like your posts, Irish, but oh how I wish you'd learn that definitely does NOT have an a in it. When I was a teacher, it was among the most annoying mis-spellings along with separate NOT seperate (there's a rat in separate, I taught the kids).
    I think it was the hammering at Swansea and subsequent crash in form that has changed his worldview. At the time of the transfer window I believe he was still chipper.
    What's to like in his post ? maybe you could explain without boring us all to death ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast