+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AH toning down expectations

The only positive since Christmas is that AH may have learned to keep his twitter finger still and his mouth shut. Anyone that considers letting slip the position we held at the start of January as an acceptable par for the course really should have a sit down in a dark corner and have a quiet word with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Like your posts, Irish, but oh how I wish you'd learn that definitely does NOT have an a in it. When I was a teacher, it was among the most annoying mis-spellings along with separate NOT seperate (there's a rat in separate, I taught the kids).
    I think it was the hammering at Swansea and subsequent crash in form that has changed his worldview. At the time of the transfer window I believe he was still chipper.
    Great post sld , gets my back up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    The only positive since Christmas is that AH may have learned to keep his twitter finger still and his mouth shut.
    Agree with this bit.

Anyone that considers letting slip the position we held at the start of January as an acceptable par for the course really should have a sit down in a dark corner and have a quiet word with themselves.
    Don't agree with this bit. In fact, quite the opposite. No matter how well a team might start, it's the norm rather than the exception that you will hit a bumpy patch at some point, even if your squad is amongst the strongest in the league, and most people don't think our squad is amongst the strongest in the league. In fact, many at the start of the season thought we would do well to sneak into the play-offs. The people who need to sit down in a darkened room are the fans who let themselves get carried away (and if that includes Alan Hardy, so be it!).

The only legitimate criticism I would make is that Kevin Nolan's 4-5-1 experiments have cost us a few points, but overall he has done very well, and there aren't many managers who get it right all of the time.

What foundation even theo it was 2/0 to day that game was garbage not worth the entrance fee.

Yes all teams hit a bumpy patch but my argument is it wasn't an unexpected bumpy patch in fact it was a totally predictable bumpy patch and one that should have been prepared for. Still we are where we are, fingers crossed we can pull something out of the bag and get auto.

Yes all teams hit a bumpy patch but my argument is it wasn't an unexpected bumpy patch in fact it was a totally predictable bumpy patch and one that should have been prepared for. Still we are where we are, fingers crossed we can pull something out of the bag and get auto.
    I sincerely hope today is the turning point from our poor run of form. We were poor for large parts and lacked confidence but ultimately got the 3 points.

The positives are:

The way Grant and Noble changed the game - the midfield was too far away from the strikers for the first 70 odd minutes, their introduction changed this for the better - hopefully theses two will now kick on and start most matches.

All our remaining games are now scheduled for Saturdays which means (should we not pick up another striker - which we should be at least trying to do) then Stead and Ameobi should be able to start every match.

There are negatives but I am trying to remain positive so will leave that there.

3 and 5 year plans are a waste of time, idle spin, like it's actually going to happen. Football doesn't work like that, especially for Notts. There's only so many 5 year plans a club can have, Trew had one, as did JAH and now Hardy but we're still in league 2, not the Championship like the previous 5 year plans said we'd be now.

A next season plan would be good, as we seem to end up releasing a shed load of players every summer.

Also having some promising youngsters might help, do we have any other than Hewitt and Husin? What point is a long term plan based on loanees.
    Last edited by CmonUSexyStylishPies; 24-02-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    What foundation even theo it was 2/0 to day that game was garbage not worth the entrance fee.
    When we win, HOWEVER we win. It's always, well worth the entrance fee to me.

In terms of squad strengthening, I'm happy with Ben Hall, he looks more than capable in this league and should prove to be a good and economical signing.

Like many others I was less impressed with the signing of Mason Bennett, because I was hoping for a more proven player at this level (like Akinde), but perhaps that just wasn't affordable. Bennett getting a bad injury was a bit unlucky, because he started promisingly, but he is known to be injury prone.

All in all I thought our transfer activity was a bit underwhelming, and I was annoyed we let Curtis go to Wycombe because I think he would be a good partner for Hewitt if he's fit and well.

I wouldn't say our transfer activity has been the complete reason behind our rocky spell, but better cover for Ameobi might have helped us. Still, we live and learn, and we're one point of the automatic places. It's the kind of disappointment I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In terms of squad strengthening, I'm happy with Ben Hall, he looks more than capable in this league and should prove to be a good and economical signing.

Like many others I was less impressed with the signing of Mason Bennett, because I was hoping for a more proven player at this level (like Akinde), but perhaps that just wasn't affordable. Bennett getting a bad injury was a bit unlucky, because he started promisingly, but he is known to be injury prone.

All in all I thought our transfer activity was a bit underwhelming, and I was annoyed we let Curtis go to Wycombe because I think he would be a good partner for Hewitt if he's fit and well.

I wouldn't say our transfer activity has been the complete reason behind our rocky spell, but better cover for Ameobi might have helped us. Still, we live and learn, and we're one point of the automatic places. It's the kind of disappointment I can live with.
    The elephant in the room is the loss of Yates. Without being spectacular he did a fair bit of the basic stuff in the centre of park right and offered an extra attacking threat. Very difficult to replace and we have struggled.

Agree about Hall though, looks very assured.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast