+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Was it Swansea that knocked our end in?

Was it Swansea that knocked our end in?

Although the disruption to our midfield came earlier, Notts put together a very decent performance against the Alex without Yates.
    To me, from my distant perch, it looks as though the 1-8 thrashing in front of the nation has produced a traumatic harvest. No one seems to have considered that it's knocked a huge dent in Nolan's confidence as well as his players.
    Heads are well and truly down and scraping a result against the likes of Stevenage may not be enough.
    It was as miserable a night as the one against Salford and those on here who said it will be quickly forgotten couldn't be more wrong. We are badly scarred and are likely to limp to the end of the season.
    Instead of Nolan planning a promotion campaign, he now needs to start planning for 2018-19. Even, if in the unlikely event of Notts going up, the quality is not there. Shola and Steady have not got another season in them. We'd likely be straight back down.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Although the disruption to our midfield came earlier, Notts put together a very decent performance against the Alex without Yates.
    To me, from my distant perch, it looks as though the 1-8 thrashing in front of the nation has produced a traumatic harvest. No one seems to have considered that it's knocked a huge dent in Nolan's confidence as well as his players.
    Heads are well and truly down and scraping a result against the likes of Stevenage may not be enough.
    It was as miserable a night as the one against Salford and those on here who said it will be quickly forgotten couldn't be more wrong. We are badly scarred and are likely to limp to the end of the season.
    Instead of Nolan planning a promotion campaign, he now needs to start planning for 2018-19. Even, if in the unlikely event of Notts going up, the quality is not there. Shola and Steady have not got another season in them. We'd likely be straight back down.
    I think you maybe right in your thinking, it will certainly have done more harm than good no matter which way you look at it.

Losing 8-1 never does you any good, but remember we've won a game 4-1 since then, so the players are still capable. I don't think our "end" necessarily has been "knocked in", we're just going through a less impressive patch of form compared with earlier in the season and there's no reason we can't get a second wind going at some point. I think the biggest problem for us is that our key players are old players, who are struggling to provide enough zest in the depths of mid-season.

Confidence is a funny thing I can remember Notts losing 6-0 to villa in the F A cup at home arguably as bad if not worse than 8-1 away but 11 days later beat them 1-0 in div one.
    I think too many new players in the transfer window can have a unsettling effect on team spirit so could that be a contributing factor in loss of form.

Think you’re spot on about next season Sid, we really don’t have the players now to make a fist of it in L1. Of course there is always the chance Nolo will recruit well in the summer but recent business doesn’t particularly fill us with confidence.

Regarding the Swansea drubbing I’m not sure this has done for us. The rot set in after Yates was snatched from us. Nolo bagged Husin and Virtue to go with Noble and then didn’t know how to accommodate them all so jumped to 451 against Exeter. Since then illness has swept through the club resulting in many changes in first 11 personnel and any consistency we had earlier in the season had been lost.

If I was a professional footballer who got thrashed like we did on live tv I would want to do everything I can to prove to people it was just a bad day at the office and in fact i am much much better than that. Unfortunately there seems to be an element within the squad who probably wouldn’t have cared less if they got beat 20 - 1 let alone 8 - 1!

Perhaps it was when AH stopped the 'Win Bonuses'

has that been confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Think you’re spot on about next season Sid, we really don’t have the players now to make a fist of it in L1.
    If the players also think that then why would they want to win? Maybe they're hoping to guarantee themselves a contract with the club in L2 next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    has that been confirmed?
    Don't know it as a fact - just could be a reason although I don't think the players should need win bonuses, they are paid good wages to play the very best they can for the club. Perhaps there should be 'Lose half your weeks wages if you lose the match' clause!!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Don't know it as a fact - just could be a reason although I don't think the players should need win bonuses, they are paid good wages to play the very best they can for the club. Perhaps there should be 'Lose half your weeks wages if you lose the match' clause!!
    Careful now, delicate little flowers professional footballers!