+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Stevenage 24/02/18

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    A question for yourself and Slack......Collin seemed to take an age in the first half to kick the ball from his hands, shuffling his whole team up the field for 2 or 3 minutes each time....did it look like time~wasting to you and were the crowd getting a bit fed up with it?

The iFollow mic is in the Pavis and there seemed to be plenty of moaning at him to get a move on.
    Yeah, everyone in the Pavis around me was getting pissed off at Collin, including myself. A ridiculous way to approach a home game at 0-0.

[QUOTE=Elite_Pie;38811358]We were dire for the first 75 minutes, as bad as we've been all season, the only positives to take from the game are the 3 points and the fact we dominated once we got a lead instead of reverting to the bizarre 8-1-1 formation we played for the last 30 minutes against Carlisle. Stevenage worked some good positions, but fortunately their crossing was awful and every shot went straight at Collin.[/QUOT

We have been worse believe me. Swindon away , Barnet , Newport , all crap teams,, 1 point ! and I went to all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, everyone in the Pavis around me was getting pissed off at Collin, including myself. A ridiculous way to approach a home game at 0-0.
    Do you not understand that Collin is doing exactly what his manager is telling him to do? The reason the No.1 shirt is his and not Ross 'Tourettes' Fitsimmons, is because he does what his manager tells him to do.

If you're going to blame someone then you should be questioning Nolan about his tactics and his instructions to his goalkeeper.

As to why Nolan is asking his keeper to waste time / slow things down from kickoff - dunno - you tell me??

A question for yourself and Slack......Collin seemed to take an age in the first half to kick the ball from his hands, shuffling his whole team up the field for 2 or 3 minutes each time....did it look like time~wasting to you and were the crowd getting a bit fed up with it?
    The lack of urgency from Collin was hard to fathom (although it was for 10-15 seconds rather than "2 or 3 minutes"). A couple of times he was right to delay things as we had nothing much to aim at up front, but time wasting at 0-0 is ridiculous.

Not sure if you noticed but I sit in Pavis right on the half way line and when people started shouting at Collin to hurry up - Nolan turned around, looked pointedly at his watch and shouted back at the Pavis saying something like 'there's only 5 mins gone'

He made a point of giving Collin a big thumbs up after that whenever he kicked the ball long (which was pretty much every time except once when he threw the ball directly to a Stevenage player).

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    What a strange game that was today.

First the negatives. We were as awful as I’ve seen at any other time at home this season as lacked confidence from the start and Stevenage played football. Did anyone else think Stevenage should have got a penalty early on with a handball as clear as any you will ever see?

I felt we played too deep and our midfield was non existant. We could not pass the ball and Collin was infuriating with the amount of time he was taking and slowing the game down. Many people said the same thing at the game and on here? Why?

Apart from a few flick ons towards the goal the Stevenage keeper never had a save to make. Stevenage must have known if they played football we would let them and we did. Thankfully they were poor at creating decent chances, but too many times we backed off. At half time I would have taken the 0-0 and thought a top ten team would have been 2-0 up.

The second half we had a bit of a go after the start but then it continued in the same vein, poor by Notts. Stevenage dominated midfield and it was direct from us to Stead and Shola.

Now the positives. After the game being awful for 75 minutes Grant came on and the uplift was instant. Within a couple of minutes he scored and that then lifted confidence and we then looked like the Notts County that got to top of the league earlier in the season. The introduction of Noble replacing Husin also added some steel to midfield and was a good call by Nolan. I don’t think today’s game was one for Husin. So pleased that Shola got the 2nd as once again he was a key player on the pitch and ran himself into the ground. We were then much more confident assured and started attacking and showed why we have a good home record this season.

So in the end we won 2-0 and kept a clean sheet as well. It was big win for us and for confidence. I’m hoping the last 15 minutes was the turning point and now we will see performances that we have been used to. Also the fact that we won and others around us didn’t makes it seem much better. It just shows as well that we can be awful for 3/4 of a game and still win.

Now we need to try and improve our away form against Cheltenham and FGR before the big match against our neighbours.
    Spot on MM...weird~wasting by Collin at 0~0....Stevenage were a good passing team but failed to score despite dominating for 60 odd minutes, luckily.....Noble shored up our midfield, Grant came on with a point to prove...need to build on this ready for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The lack of urgency from Collin was hard to fathom (although it was for 10-15 seconds rather than "2 or 3 minutes"). A couple of times he was right to delay things as we had nothing much to aim at up front, but time wasting at 0-0 is ridiculous.
    Strange that several people commented on me being correct.....but you were the first to say my "2 or 3 minutes" was ott?....I will make sure I run a stopwatch next time, just for you.....jeez give me strength....grrrrrr

Strange that several people commented on me being correct.....but you were the first to say my "2 or 3 minutes" was ott?....I will make sure I run a stopwatch next time, just for you.....jeez give me strength....grrrrrr
    You have to be spot on for EP and Sid or it's 50 lashes from the spelling and precision police

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Do you not understand that Collin is doing exactly what his manager is telling him to do? The reason the No.1 shirt is his and not Ross 'Tourettes' Fitsimmons, is because he does what his manager tells him to do.

If you're going to blame someone then you should be questioning Nolan about his tactics and his instructions to his goalkeeper.

As to why Nolan is asking his keeper to waste time / slow things down from kickoff - dunno - you tell me??
    Yeah I do understand that, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I would guess Nolan, being obsessed as he is with keeping a rigid shape, wants the keeper to delay his delivery so we can get back in position. But who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah I do understand that, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I would guess Nolan, being obsessed as he is with keeping a rigid shape, wants the keeper to delay his delivery so we can get back in position. But who knows.
    Don’t have an issue with this tactic providing once he kicks the ball it actually has some kind of positive impact on the game. The Stevenage keepers kicking was far better and often put us under pressure as he managed to arrow the ball out with some intent whereas Collin seemed to be going for the highest kick with the outside of your foot world record, just terrible.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast