+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Chapman's facial injury

Lee Chapman's facial injury

I was watching an Itv footy documentry on youtube yesterday, and it covered the old FL in the early 90's in the build up towards the advent of the greedy 'breakaway' Premier League.
    And it reminded me of Chap's awful fall and face injury at Tottenham's White Hart Lane ground. And unbelievably he was back playing again the following week wasnt he, after they had tried super gluing the stitches to his forehead & nose.
    Was Lee harder than most people give him credit for, because I find that brilliant that he didnt dwell on it and wanted to be back immediately. Rather than these pretentious prima donna players we see now in the Prem who would have wanted a month off probably lol.

All today's PL players are wimps and prima donnas compared.to the likes of Chapman, Batty, Hunter, and many many others. Just what the game is nowadays.

Id agree with you WTF about 'our' Norman Hunter, he didnt take many prisoners did he.
    And Ive heard it said by opposing players and fans that even Allan Clarke could dish it out if he had to. I never got to see Clarkie in his first spell with us but apparently he revolutionised us as a team when he joined in 1978.
    The Prem was never looked at as a good thing by the majority, and its got worse and worse for the whole of English footy since then.

Eeee, players these days don't know tha born do tha. Chappers got slated dint e but tell tha what - he knewt where tha bloody net was .

Tha good old days tha knows ....

aye them were the days , 2 and threpence hapenny a week to get in down at t,old scratching shed.

pissed wet through and chilled to bone , but they were proper players i tell thee , none o this 200 grand a week bollux like nowadays,

i say i said i say , INJURIES hey they dont know they born nowadays , to,ld bert trautman broke his neck int cup final for a shilling and tanner in final and still ad to pay ambulance driver to get him back to hospital after game and he were glad of it as well.

but we were happy never mind all this all seating malarchy , ah spent half of season wi somebody sat on me knee and somebody licking mi earhole , cramped like sardines in a tin we,were but not a crossed word between us , only crossed legs till we could get to bogs at full time..

after game we used to run home, rain wind snow or blow , fish and chips, 2 gallon a beer and all for under sixpence halpenny . mi old fatha used to say, any bother knock em out , ask questions later , and true to is word he were picking many a copper up off at floor before sending him home on is merry way with a firm handshake and is wallet in mi back pocket .

happy days

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybn View Post
    Eeee, players these days don't know tha born do tha. Chappers got slated dint e but tell tha what - he knewt where tha bloody net was . Tha good old days tha knows ....
    Strikers are often over looked Jimmy arent they in the so called dirty side of the game. But like you say Chappers put himself about and as far as I can remember, he DID get goals for your team.
    How many strikers now would get by if they just let clogging defenders do what they do without retaliating eh. And like Ive said, I admire Chappers for his brilliant attitude in wanting to come back straight away. Did it hurt him, yes of course. Did he let it affect his game, ohh hell no he didnt. lol

I do think players today are a lot softer than the older generation but I also think the medical staff have a lot to answer for as quite often players are told they aren't allowed to play.

Too many players are told they have this or that and then believe they can't play or they'll completely break down.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Strikers are often over looked Jimmy arent they in the so called dirty side of the game. But like you say Chappers put himself about and as far as I can remember, he DID get goals for your team.
    How many strikers now would get by if they just let clogging defenders do what they do wSithout retaliating eh. And like Ive said, I admire Chappers for his brilliant attitude in wanting to come back straight away. Did it hurt him, yes of course. Did he let it affect his game, ohh hell no he didnt. lol
    Strikers now have never had it easier with all the restrictions on defenders compared to Chapmans days and even before that.

So you all rated Chaps then did you Joel ?.
    That doest surprise me because I also admire him and that type of player that he was. Hey this makes me feel old fashioned when I post this sort of stuff lol.

chapman was good , jordan was better , but duncan ferguson of everton, in his prime was the daddy of them all , unplayable on his day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)