+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bittersweet day

Bittersweet day

Another win and we remain top of the heap however we made no ground due to the other results
    The Wigan result was never in doubt but Shrewsbury pulled off a shock winning at Charlton(No easy thing to do)and Rotherham scoring the winner 13 minutes into extra time
    Pressure is on going into a tough encounter with Wimbledon lets hope this sickness bug has left the camp by then.

This is something that TM has been going on about forever ie we have no direct right, we have to earn it. He see’s the reality.
    There are and have been some that seem to be ‘in denial’ with this approach, and saying his comments over the other challengers is tantamount to capitulation prior to meeting them on the field.
    However, I really do not think he spends all that long ‘worrying’ over their continued points haul, as he knows full well that he cannot influence it. Apart from when we actually meet.
    He is fully focused on us, and looking to gather the maximum points as we can.
    If it’s proven enough all well and good. If it’s not, it won’t be for the want of trying.
    He is trying to make sure that if we eventually are out pointed by Wigan, Shrews etc they will have ‘earned it’.
    Such is sport (any sport).

Another way of looking at it, is Shrews are elated (as are Wigan) to get back to winning games. Then they see we won .....again.
    Then they see Rotherham (who I think will finish 2nd) get another win in the 13th min of injury time. So while their away win at Charlton was impressive, it was also a must win for them (and Wigan) and they can't slip up again. They have to do what they did yesterday, next week, and the week after etc etc ..... As they proved last week with 2 games, they can easily drop points. They have a game (the semi) in that Checkatrade thing this week, that's 2 extra games. While we can pull away in the league. Wigan hsve the FA cup then a huge pile up of games. We just need to win our games, which is what we are doing. And get points on the board. I'd much prefer them than games in hand (or extra games) at this late stage. It will be a struggle for us, as it is, to keep winning. And we have a huge squad, with quality to come in, in every position. They will both have to have the same depth & quality and they haven't. And it will show in the final push. Rotherham will just keep getting result (mainly wins) so both will neeed to be just as strong.
    Points wise we will end on about 94-97 by the end. If that means we miss out and have to go in the play offs, itd be gutting. as thst Would win you promotion in any league since the 3 point rule was brought in. If we get beaten by thst, fair enough.

In my eyes yes yesterday could have been better, I was expecting Charlton to get something.

But...... since October we have pulled back..what? 14points on Shrewsbury?

That is the long term trend.

Give us another 10 games and I'm sure after that, despite inevitable disappointing rests along the way, that trend of us outpointing them will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by backofthenet View Post
    In my eyes yes yesterday could have been better, I was expecting Charlton to get something.

But...... since October we have pulled back..what? 14points on Shrewsbury?

That is the long term trend.

Give us another 10 games and I'm sure after that, despite inevitable disappointing rests along the way, that trend of us outpointing them will continue.
    You don't learn a great deal when your team is playing well, getting the rub of the green, and getting positive results. You do learn a lot when they aren't playing at their best, yet still got 3 away points to keep you top. Generally, its the side who pick up points when they aren't playing well.
    When Shrewsbury and Wigan didn't play well recently, they lost more in 2 weeks, than we have since last October. Now they are going to keep having to play well, every single week. Nothing changed in the league this week, now its one less game to play.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)