+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: When did it become a thing?

When did it become a thing?

When did it become a thing for the strikers to start standing in front of the goalkeepers when they are trying to kick the ball?
    It seems a bit of a dick move and both goalkeepers and sets of fans seem to get annoyed by it but has been happening more and more often.

I can only think it stops them from putting the ball on the floor to waste time or kick it further, other than that it seems a waste of time and energy.

I think there are two main factors behind this.

Firstly, any scout watching our matches will know that Collins distribution when he kicks out of his hands is bang average at best so the opposition will want him to be forced into this state as much as possible.

Secondly, the tweaks to the offside rule in recent years mean that if the ball comes back towards that goal immediately the attacking player is not going to be automatically flagged offside. In fact if there is a willing runner he can form part of the attack in a further 'phase of play'.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    When did it become a thing for the strikers to start standing in front of the goalkeepers when they are trying to kick the ball?
    It seems a bit of a dick move and both goalkeepers and sets of fans seem to get annoyed by it but has been happening more and more often.

I can only think it stops them from putting the ball on the floor to waste time or kick it further, other than that it seems a waste of time and energy.
    I think its worked well for Cambridge against us at least three times in the past few years?

But most teams seem to be doing it now, including us, so it isn't a tactic designed because Collin has bad kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    But most teams seem to be doing it now, including us, so it isn't a tactic designed because Collin has bad kicking.
    https://youtu.be/Gn6THb-R0VM

It used to be a thing back in the day. I seem to remember Hateley scoring like that once.

I think Shola probably does it so he can have a bit of a break and still look like he's performing a job for the team. The Stevenage player that was doing it should've had a word from the ref, they're not allowed to keep moving in front of the keeper to try and actually block a kick, I'm sure Lee Hughes got booked for it once.