+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Scapegoat

Current Scapegoat

Some fans seem to have moved on from Duffy and the latest is Adam Collin and how useless he is, one Twitter used even called him the worst goalkeeper he has ever seen for Notts County.

Many seem in favour of Fitzsimons playing instead so someone on Twitter had had a look at the stats for this season.

Just League Games:

League & Cup Games:

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Some fans seem to have moved on from Duffy and the latest is Adam Collin and how useless he is, one Twitter used even called him the worst goalkeeper he has ever seen for Notts County.

Many seem in favour of Fitzsimons playing instead so someone on Twitter had had a look at the stats for this season.

Just League Games:

League & Cup Games:
    It would be good to see action stats as opposed to just match stats.

For example, on Saturday Collin kept a clean sheet but had one shot to save that was straight at him. However you dress it up his all round play does not inspire confidence at present. Not that he should be made a scapegoat for anything mind. He is what he is - a league two goalkeeper.

It’s not just that he’s cr4p, he’s unfortunately coming across a bit arrogant towards Notts fans as well. He posted a pic of himself on twitter catching a cross on Saturday with the words to the effect of “when you pluck crosses out of the air just for fun”. It was probably the only cross he actually claimed and I actually retweeted him reminding him that that was actually his job.

He’s not a scapegoat necessarily just someone who seems to have found a way of winding up a number of fans and is feeling the backlash of that. I hate professional footballers self promoting themselves on social media, it really winds me up, like I said it’s their job and they are very lucky to have a job that many would love but can only dream of.

He didn’t really look fully fit when he was forced to come back from his injury, and then had 8 goals put past him. It’s not surprising he’s a little low on confidence. Still rate him higher than Fitzsimons.

Maybe playing the same back four for more than five minutes might help?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    He didn’t really look fully fit when he was forced to come back from his injury, and then had 8 goals put past him. It’s not surprising he’s a little low on confidence. Still rate him higher than Fitzsimons.

Maybe playing the same back four for more than five minutes might help?
    He seemed to be playing to Nolan's semaphore signals and taking his time to get rid of the ball, why Nolly would want this is beyond me unless it was to wind up the Stevenage players but why would it do that? There could be some purpose to a slow boot out but it's not as if a goalie could pick out an individual player among a bunch all watching the ball drop. A throw out to a defender is different but very rarely does Collin do that, instructions?

I'm going round in circles here so I'll pack it in now.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    He seemed to be playing to Nolan's semaphore signals and taking his time to get rid of the ball, why Nolly would want this is beyond me unless it was to wind up the Stevenage players but why would it do that? There could be some purpose to a slow boot out but it's not as if a goalie could pick out an individual player among a bunch all watching the ball drop. A throw out to a defender is different but very rarely does Collin do that, instructions?

I'm going round in circles here so I'll pack it in now.
    Why is his distribution even still a talking point? Both keepers distribute the ball exactly the same as they do what they are told to do by the manager. Adam Collin is the first keeper I've seen at Meadow Lane since Kasper Schmeichel that actually has a decent long throw that he has used a few times too but he still gets moaned at for following instructions.

Fair enough moaning at Kevin Nolan for it but moaning at the GK for following instructions seems mad to me, he's also a hell of a lot better at commanding his area than Fitz ever was, you could probably count the crosses Fitz dealt with on one hand whereas Collin usually deals with a few a game.

"His all round play doesn't inspire confidence"? Compared to what exactly MapperleyPie? Pindroch looked like he was in a constant state of trying not to sh*t his pants whenever he's played and the only time Fitzsimons moves off his line is to walk back down the tunnel. I'd much rather have a GK in goal that is confident coming for crosses and punching them or catching them to get the pressure off the defenders than someone who lets it bounce in the 6 yard box and hope for the best.

It's been a while since NCM's elected an imaginary scapegoat. Maybe a trophy presentation to Adam Collin pre match?

I think he’s a decent keeper.
    His distribution could be better but his shot stopping atones for that.
    We shouldn’t have any scapegoats this season but if I had to choose one it would be the keeper that kicked a player up the arse and cost us the game!

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I think he’s a decent keeper.
    His distribution could be better but his shot stopping atones for that.
    We shouldn’t have any scapegoats this season but if I had to choose one it would be the keeper that kicked a player up the arse and cost us the game!
    We'd have been 3rd as well. Top marks Ross.

I don't think Adam Collin is the best goalkeeper we've had, but he's not the worst either. I often think he's a beat slow reacting to situations, but he mostly seems to get there in time to avoid any obvious howlers. He had a shaky start to the season but settled in well before getting injured, and his return seems to be following the same pattern.

I thought Fitzsimons did very well as his replacement and looks sharper in his reactions, but unfortunately that included being too fast to kick his opponent up the backside!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast