+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Preparing for the Championship

Preparing for the Championship

Fair to say, we're going down now. Whilst I'd like to stay hopeful (I'm one of the most optimistic), I can't see us winning 6 of our last 10 games and staying up and I'm not sure we deserve to either.

So, now is a great time to have a fresh start for next season. Keep the players who we know are up for a fight and mix it with some good youngsters, we could have a good season next year in the Championship.

Got me thinking about players who will stay and those who will go, thought I would share my thoughts and see if you all agree...

Players who will stay:

Foster
    Dawson
    Hegazi (depends on how good a world cup he has)
    Gibbs
    Nyom
    Field
    Leko
    McClean
    JRod
    Brunt
    McCauley
    Yacob
    Burke
    Morrison

Players who won't stay (In my opinion):

Livermore
    Chadli
    Barry
    Evans
    Krychowiak
    Rondon
    Sturridge
    Phillips

It got me thinking, how much will we actually miss those players who are going?

Evans is a quality player, but this year he's not been at the level we know he can play at and we've actually won more times without him in the side than with him. Livermore is consistently one of our worst performers. Chadli is injured all the time, Barry is on a 1 year deal and won't fancy the championship anyway. I like Rondon, but he has been guilty of missing guilt edged chances this season. Sturridge and Krychowiak are on big, big money. Phillips has his good days, but also has his terrible ones and put in one of the worst performances I've seen from a Baggies player v Southampton at home.

It's fair to say some of our high earners are actually the dead wood in this team and relegation gives us the chance to clear the decks and blood some of the youngsters alongside some of the solid old pro's who care about the club like Brunt and Morrison. It could actually give the younger players a chance to improve and have a run in the side. I've been impressed with Field this season. Leko can beat a player and has skill, you could say the same for Burke although I know both need to hone their technical ability, maybe a level down is the place to do it. And with a couple of solid additions, it could breathe a new lease of life into us.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Fair to say, we're going down now. Whilst I'd like to stay hopeful (I'm one of the most optimistic), I can't see us winning 6 of our last 10 games and staying up and I'm not sure we deserve to either.

So, now is a great time to have a fresh start for next season. Keep the players who we know are up for a fight and mix it with some good youngsters, we could have a good season next year in the Championship.

Got me thinking about players who will stay and those who will go, thought I would share my thoughts and see if you all agree...

Players who will stay:

Foster
    Dawson
    Hegazi (depends on how good a world cup he has)
    Gibbs
    Nyom
    Field
    Leko
    McClean
    JRod
    Brunt
    McCauley
    Yacob
    Burke
    Morrison

Players who won't stay (In my opinion):

Livermore
    Chadli
    Barry
    Evans
    Krychowiak
    Rondon
    Sturridge
    Phillips

It got me thinking, how much will we actually miss those players who are going?

Evans is a quality player, but this year he's not been at the level we know he can play at and we've actually won more times without him in the side than with him. Livermore is consistently one of our worst performers. Chadli is injured all the time, Barry is on a 1 year deal and won't fancy the championship anyway. I like Rondon, but he has been guilty of missing guilt edged chances this season. Sturridge and Krychowiak are on big, big money. Phillips has his good days, but also has his terrible ones and put in one of the worst performances I've seen from a Baggies player v Southampton at home.

It's fair to say some of our high earners are actually the dead wood in this team and relegation gives us the chance to clear the decks and blood some of the youngsters alongside some of the solid old pro's who care about the club like Brunt and Morrison. It could actually give the younger players a chance to improve and have a run in the side. I've been impressed with Field this season. Leko can beat a player and has skill, you could say the same for Burke although I know both need to hone their technical ability, maybe a level down is the place to do it. And with a couple of solid additions, it could breathe a new lease of life into us.
    Think Rondon will stay if we want him to and Philips? Can't see anyone coming in for him when we drop that'll be 3 relegations on his CV.he's a jonah

I don't think you're too wrong '53. However, I think McLean might go, possibly to Celtic, and Rondon and Phillips might stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I don't think you're too wrong '53. However, I think McLean might go, possibly to Celtic, and Rondon and Phillips might stay.
    I think Rondon is a cert to go,

Perhaps Mclean and Phillips could be switched on that list though,

Do you mean Phillips to Celtic and McLean to stay or just Phillips to go and McLean to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Do you mean Phillips to Celtic and McLean to stay or just Phillips to go and McLean to stay?
    I mean, I think McClean will stay and Phillips will go,

But I wouldn't be surprised if that was switched around the other way...to any team

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)