+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good name, good name!

So nobody remembers Devils Corner or Mafia Corner? I followed every single lump going into our new stadium, I was so excited. What short memories eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    I'm much too young to remember ' The Golden Cup ' as well you know Archie.
    From a distant memory it was where the new traffic lights are now, on the dual-carriageway, a Butchers shop next to it, then a 'sass' shop and the Moulders a bit further up towards Millmoor.
    Thought Golden Cup was roughly weer petrol station is(above moulders), sass shop was deffo across road between moulders and Queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Thought Golden Cup was roughly weer petrol station is(above moulders), sass shop was deffo across road between moulders and Queens.
    Yes, I think that the Golden Cup was roughly where the petrol garage is. I was too young to have an alcoholic beverage in there. It was a pub with a narrow frontage, but went quite a way back inside. I did stand in the passageway having a lemonade and a bag of crisps that my dad got me though. There was a sweet shop on the corner of the road across from the bowling alley/Tiffany's, where the traffic lights are now. (Then corner of Brinsworth Street?). I think that the original New York Tavern building is now inside Boothy's scrapyard)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 02-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    So nobody remembers Devils Corner or Mafia Corner? I followed every single lump going into our new stadium, I was so excited. What short memories eh.
    I liked the names the builders gave the corners although for the life of me can no longer remember the names of the other two. Unfortunately they didn't stick.
    Didn't like the stadium name at first, thought The Foundry would have been a great name for it, but now I like it and can't imagine it being called anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Hi CT,

All our ground needs now is a footbridge over the river so we can get to the ground quicker from New York Tavern.....& get back there quicker to celebrate.
    A bridge over the railway line would allow access for away fans.....not going to happen anytime soon so get used to it.
    "
    Yes, we need our own version of the "Brooklyn Bridge" now.... doesn't need to be quite as big though

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    And old New York street in which the stadium is named after is? It’s just an old name of a district of the old town attached to Masborough so that holds no water either.
    Don’t think that entirely true. The York connection comes via the land owned by the church ie what’s now the diocese of York. So the land has a York connection and New York in the USA has settler connections being originally a Dutch colony called New Amsterdam, it was renamed New York in honour of the duke if York after the British captured the town.

So really our New York has a slightly stronger connection to York than the USA New York has. It’s entirely possible that church records called our area New York before the Dutch settled in New Amsterdam/New York, so maybe we’re the original New York

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Don’t think that entirely true. The York connection comes via the land owned by the church ie what’s now the diocese of York. So the land has a York connection and New York in the USA has settler connections being originally a Dutch colony called New Amsterdam, it was renamed New York in honour of the duke if York after the British captured the town.

So really our New York has a slightly stronger connection to York than the USA New York has. It’s entirely possible that church records called our area New York before the Dutch settled in New Amsterdam/New York, so maybe we’re the original New York
    Well I never, thanks for that Grist.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234