+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, noone want to talk about VAR?

Did't we have a player down for about 15 minutes a few years back. Was it at Cardiff. Head injury. Long delay when Barks' knee got destroyed. etc etc etc all part of the game.

Arsenal v. West Ham United, 23 January 2013 - 12 minutes 58 seconds.
    Brentford away at Bristol City in 2000-01, there were about 23 minutes of stoppage time in the first-half alone after a broken leg and two other serious injuries.

Give the VAR refs a year at it and they will be getting the vast majority of calls right in a matter of seconds. Admittedly, there is always the chance of a difficult one taking longer but you can have that now when a ref wanders over to discuss an incident with his incident and nobody blarts about that............ probably as it is "part of the game".

There will be those, like Adi, who welcome the refereeing errors as talking points and things that add to the emotion of it all. My question to those is "would you rather have the talking points or those 2 penalties we were wrongly denied that would, more than likely, have given us 3 points instead of the 1 we ended up with?"

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    "would you rather have the talking points or those 2 penalties we were wrongly denied that would, more than likely, have given us 3 points instead of the 1 we ended up with?"
    I'd rather have those talking points. The imperfections are what make it exciting, and worthwhile. If it was all about 3 points, I wouldn't support Derby, I'd watch whoever was the most perfect every year. This is of course personally subjective, but Saturdays (or Wed night as it seems to be now!), is my release, to lose my **** over something that doesn't matter in a safe environment. Otherwise, I'll watch golf, which I enjoy, but not for the passion and release.

To take the discussion on a different direction for the moment:

-how long until players / managers use VAR to cheat? Why not make a referral when you're under the cosh, taking the momentum out of the opposition.

-how do you account for opinion related incidents? In cricket, you have an "umpire's call" when the technology can't be 100%. So you could have an incident, have it referred, stopping the game, then still be unsatisfied with the decision (yes this contradicts my position).

Go watch some Bundesliga or K League games with VAR and you realise it's not good.
    You never ever get back the time lost.
    Sure you might benefit but I bet in the longer run every team loses out.
    The time factor is critical in football.

Hence stop the clock when the VAR is initiated

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ‘The players/refs sleep with each other anyway’?
    Honestly, I think RL is the most ‘action packed’ sport going and it works well there.
    Wonder if Leeds fans would agree with you - and Mr. Tinkler - over that decisive and still astonishing decision against WBA which decided the title about two hundred years ago. Mind you, it was the Bremner/Revie Leeds, so that still makes me laugh and perhaps you have a point.
    My firstborn son was going to have the middle name Roy, I wonder why....and no not in memory of the world's greatest centre half
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 02-03-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    My firstborn son was going to have the middle name Roy, I wonder why....and no not in memory of the world's greatest centre half
    If you’re talking about Mr T...the aforementioned referee...I think he was called ‘Ray’.

Officially approved unanimously by the IFAB, which also comprise members from the Home Nations FAs.

Will be interesting to see the FA try to wriggle out of this, when things go tits up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)