+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland opens its doors for the homeless

Can’t force them if they don’t want help.

Tbh I do wonder if some are genuine after it was highlighted that some are just using it for other reasons.

I did think the oldish bloke near city hall was genuine and gave him some change (wasn’t much) and then gave him some snacks later when he was still there.

There was some in Barcelona which did look a bit iffy so I avoided them

I guess if you can’t sell tickets you may as well fill the seats with homeless people

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    This is very true, i know as fact that there's homeless folk in Rotherham who have been offered accomodation and refused it. That said, this is a complex issue and some of the reasons are that they've been promised all sorts and then got nowt ultimately. I do know though that the way the media portrays the homeless as scroungers does no one any favours at all.
    That's true MMM but some of the accommodation is a frightening experience , many actually feel safer on the streets .

Pride is also a factor and many won't accept help because of that .

Never seen the amount of people living on our streets as I do now , you always saw plenty in London or the other bigger city's but not so much around here .

The safety net doesn't exist from governments and it's left to charities to find the solutions .

Shameful .

A lot of people with mental health issues are being shoved on streets or in bed sits. Benefit system have become a lot stricter and unless you have someone who understands the questions it asks you won’t get anything.

Also the new universal credit requires you to attend every week and a lot of people are turning to crime or the streets farther than signing on to the job Center parole office.

It gets on my nerves listening to big business owners on sky news complain that they didn’t make the same amount of profit as they did last year and will have to lay people off so big wigs can have the yearly surgery done on their wives.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Are there no workhouses or prisons ?

The amount of homeless should shame any government , disgraceful !!!
    Yes indeed, which makes it even more puzzling that some want to bring in refugees from outside the UK and seem confident that they can be fed, housed and watered whilst we have streets full of starving, freezing homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Cue for the right whingers to reply with welfare scroungers and charity pervert posts.
    Only you so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Only you so far.....
    Suggest you read or reread Grist's effort at sarcasm.

Maybe this should be an O/T thread now

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Suggest you read or reread Grist's effort at sarcasm.
    Not sarcasm, fact, we have lots of homeless people that local authorities can't find housing for, but magically housing can be found for Syrian refugees

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes indeed, which makes it even more puzzling that some want to bring in refugees from outside the UK and seem confident that they can be fed, housed and watered whilst we have streets full of starving, freezing homeless people.
    Just for info, we currently have a grand total of around 120,000 refugees in the UK, around 0.2% of the population.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/uk-refugees/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast