+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland opens its doors for the homeless

Sunderland opens its doors for the homeless

Well done to them
    ��️ #SAFC is opening its doors to the homeless and vulnerable this weekend, providing a safe and warm environment in the bitter conditions forecast.

Not sure if it’s colder in our concourse than outside but it’s dry and there’s toilets which would mean a lot, do we have many in Rotherham? I’ve heard of a few but can’t remember seeing any.

I’ve seen them in Sheffield though

Fair play to them.
    Could we do the same ?

There is a guy who sits near the train station i also give him some change .After our away trips from the bridge he always ask how we went on .He was there after the Oxford match as well freezing outside and there he was at in it .I still cannot get my head a round this is allowed to happen yet we send millions to other countries to help them .Also walking through town 2 or 3 other homeless people can be seen around the Nat west bank area on the corner . Newcastle has a massive homeless population also ,its a shame.

Cue for the right whingers to reply with welfare scroungers and charity pervert posts.

Are there no workhouses or prisons ?

The amount of homeless should shame any government , disgraceful !!!
    Last edited by animallittle3; 02-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Yes leave them out there and 'decrease the surplus population'.

I went to an event about a year ago and one of the speakers was the leader of Leeds City Council.
    He stated that LCC only recognised 9 people as being homeless even though there were many many more on the streets.
    He said that a lot of homeless people were offered accommodation but it was refused so they aren't counted
    Professional beggars bussed in from Manchester was also mentioned, again not counted.
    I think he also said some had mental problems and again these weren't counted presumably because if they didn't have these problems they wouldn't choose to be on the streets - bit bizarre that one

Obviously his was a very biased opinion and it needs a bit of balance to the argument.
    It's a complex social problem this one.

Just what you want in a council leader, a two hat.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I went to an event about a year ago and one of the speakers was the leader of Leeds City Council.
    He stated that LCC only recognised 9 people as being homeless even though there were many many more on the streets.
    He said that a lot of homeless people were offered accommodation but it was refused so they aren't counted
    Professional beggars bussed in from Manchester was also mentioned, again not counted.
    I think he also said some had mental problems and again these weren't counted presumably because if they didn't have these problems they wouldn't choose to be on the streets - bit bizarre that one

Obviously his was a very biased opinion and it needs a bit of balance to the argument.
    It's a complex social problem this one.
    This is very true, i know as fact that there's homeless folk in Rotherham who have been offered accomodation and refused it. That said, this is a complex issue and some of the reasons are that they've been promised all sorts and then got nowt ultimately. I do know though that the way the media portrays the homeless as scroungers does no one any favours at all.

Anyone who sleeps out in this weather needs help whatever the reasons behind it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast