+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAR At The World Cup

VAR At The World Cup

Not for me but it's gonna be used . Thoughts ?

My thoughts are only bad ones. TV judgements work in things like cricket where there is a natural pause between each ball, but not in football. Continuous action is the big appeal, and although these long gaps while a borderline decision is made (often inconclusive) will probably become part and parcel of the game for future generations, I'm just glad I'll only suffer the tail end of it.

Think its too soon to bring into 2018 World Cup...needs more trials IMO...I know we are only just using it here in the UK and that other countries are trialling it...But with such an important trophy like the world cup the VAR might take centre stage...Maybe they should wait until the next Euro's...

It will never be accepted while weak referee's use it for every potentially difficult decision. I can live with goal line technology but seriously question the principle of VAR as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Think its too soon to bring into 2018 World Cup...needs more trials IMO...I know we are only just using it here in the UK and that other countries are trialling it...But with such an important trophy like the world cup the VAR might take centre stage...Maybe they should wait until the next Euro's...
    Maybe they shouldn’t bother and just accept that refs are human and make mistakes.

[QUOTE=BigFatPie;38818247]Maybe they shouldn’t bother and just accept that refs are human and make mistakes.[/QUO
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Maybe they shouldn’t bother and just accept that refs are human and make mistakes.
    Spot on.

I don't think reviews should be automatic. I think it should be more like the NFL or cricket, where a coach or cricket team has so many 'challenges' available to them and must use them carefully, if at all. Plus, when they do challenge, the original decision should only be overturned if there is a clear and obvious mistake. That's supposed to be the rule in football, but in the NFL recently there has been a tendency for 'New York' to be intervening when the call is very marginal. Unless the error is obvious, the ruling on the field should stand.

With those qualifications, I'm in favour of VAR, because modern day professional football is a multi-million/billion pound business where a wrong call could cost a club a lot of money or managers and players their jobs. It just isn't good enough, if your team has just been relegated from the Premier League by an offside goal, to say "Sorry, the referee made a mistake and it'll even itself out at some point". This isn't a jolly old kickabout with jumpers for goalposts and tea and scones after the match anymore, it's a serious, professional business and technology has a part to play. I always remember Chesterfield being robbed of a hugely lucrative FA Cup final and European spot against Middlesbrough years ago because David Elleray made a shocking mistake. It wasn't good enough then, so it certainly isn't good enough now.

The whole debate is moot anyway. Technology is here, the genie is out of the bottle (whether you like him or not!) and he won't be going back in. The task now is to get the application of it right, which they will, given time. No doubt there will be one or two dodgy moments at the World Cup, but it's all part of the development process.
    Last edited by jackal2; 03-03-2018 at 10:30 PM.

I was all for VAR before I saw it in action. If it was used on an appeals basis or to right obvious wrongs it would be fine, but it’s just adding tedious waits and refereeing indecision while adding yet another level of controversy.

Balls to it.

It can be useful, but after seeing it used in the Tottenham v Rochdale game, things I don’t like about it are;

1.) Whenever a goal is scored this appears to be a match changing event so the goal is scruntised. Part of football is the joy of your team scoring a goal. Sometimes fans may miss if the offside flag when it goes up, but to have to wait knowing if it is an actual goal or not kind of takes that joy away.

2.) People in the ground have no idea what is going off, so we no longer are part of the game. How it is communicated to fans is poor.

3.) The stop start nature of using VAR. Why it takes so long to make the decision needs to be looked into. It should take a few moments to check. Plus with time added on each half will end up being maybe 50 minutes or more.

4.) Who is the ref? Does the man on the field just become a figurehead and like someone mentioned they just get complacent and go to VAR.

5.) It does not appear to remove the controversy. In fact it becomes more of a talking point, than anything else in the game.

6.) If watching on TV why can’t we hear the refs communicating with each other like they do in Rugby.

7.) The negative views of the fans and supporters and criticism of it will probably be ignored as people have said football is a multi pound industry. So it’s probably here to stay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast