+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s come to this

It’s come to this

I find myself sitting here bitterly disappointed (as I always am when we lose) but having thoughts of ‘oh well, at least it was only by 2 goals’). Even sadder I would have thought long and hard about taking that result before kick off.

For a club our size, this isn’t good enough. The saving mercy is Rafa - if we didn’t have him we’d be below WBA now - I have no doubt of that. Our players aren’t good enough for this level and they’re running on fumes to keep our heads above water.

It’s going to be an exciting run in but , for us, it shouldn’t have to be. I just hope we look back at these last few games and remember it as a turning point in the clubs history: permanence in the PL, sale of the club and investment in our club to the level it deserves.

I know exactly how you feel. I remember when we use to compete with Liverpool, Spuds, Man Utd, Arsenal. . . City were some side miles below us.

Now, i'd take a 2-0 loss to them and be grateful we've kept it so low.

Sickening.

Agreed, that i also hope this is the turning point.

Much the way I feel too

Think we all feel the same,the pundits all agreed that without Rafa we would be bottom, and that we have a championship team, competing in the Premier league. When will the penny drop, if ever, with our owner. Too late now though fatman.Waiting now for the usual repost from tweedle dee and tweedle dum, "Mike has given Rafa all the support he needs financially, Rafa has bought these players, this is his team,blah,blah,blah. Thought we did ok tonight, but absolutely no attacking threat upfront, championship midfield according to Gerrard,hes not wrong.Rafa set us up with an attacking team, so that should keep some people happy,the "attackers" are just not up to it unfortunately.

It will never get any better under Ashley, it will only get worse.

if we stay up I think he'll sell and we can move forward.

If we go down, it is entirely Ashley's fault and we are absolutely fucked.

Are Brighton and Huddersfield Championship teams in the PL -or just Newcastle?

I don't know and i don't care. i'm not going to go and Google who they bought or how they improved squads they built up over a few seasons because it doesn't affect the reality of our team.

I know and care about our team and i know that Ashley has left Rafa with a squad that isn't fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    Are Brighton and Huddersfield Championship teams in the PL -or just Newcastle?
    You make a good point.

Now we compare ourseles with Huddersfield and Brighton - I’mmot having a go at you.

I’m one of those deluded Toon fans who thinks we deserve better than what we’ve got.

I agree that Ashley has under-invested in the squad for years and he is mainly responsible for where we are but blaming him might explain relegation but won't avoid it. We have to deal with the situation we've got. We need points which means we have to attack and score goals, not use 9 out of 10 of our outfield players as defenders. This applies no matter who we are playing. It's risky but we have to take risks. I don't regard it as the height of managerial brilliance to minimise defeats to preserve goal difference. We can't wait until we're one goal down before we start to attack. We're all hoping that Slimani will come good when he eventually plays but he won't score goals from a packed defence.

We played an attacking team against Liverpool and we looked ok until we got into their half,and then NOTHING,thats the problem no threat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)