+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fao Ram

fao Ram

Ram, nothing personal but you referring to United as the Shed is grinding my gears mate.

Any United fan of advancing years will tell you The Shed was the all standing terracing behind the goal at the top of the slope. The term has sometimes been used to refer to the collective group that stood there. Shed Rule/Shed on Tour/Shed on the march etc. But is has never been used to describe our club as an entity.

I stood in the Shed for years
    I watched many a game there
    I was right in line with Finn Dossings goal v Juventus there
    Among many other great Shed memories

The Shed as a place still exists but The Shed is not Dundee United.

Mon The Shed.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Ram, nothing personal but you referring to United as the Shed is grinding my gears mate.

Any United fan of advancing years will tell you The Shed was the all standing terracing behind the goal at the top of the slope. The term has sometimes been used to refer to the collective group that stood there. Shed Rule/Shed on Tour/Shed on the march etc. But is has never been used to describe our club as an entity.

I stood in the Shed for years
    I watched many a game there
    I was right in line with Finn Dossings goal v Juventus there
    Among many other great Shed memories

The Shed as a place still exists but The Shed is not Dundee United.
    Many thanks for your concern and kindly comments my friend. I do not hail from the city of Dundee but have been a United fan (to varying degrees) since season 1970/71. However, much of the Dundee United/Dundee culture is either alien to me or something that I am not too familiar with. I frequently see references to local (Dundee) footballing culture which I do not have a Scooby about. For instance, United were nicknamed 'The Arabs' a long time before it became accepted culture with myself and a small band of fellow supporters. We regarded it as a derogatory term for quite a while, and probably had even greater reservations about it than what you are expressing about my extended use of 'The Shed.'

Since our early days we colloquially referred to going up to Tannadice as going up to 'The Shed,' which I'm sure you will be familiar with. This gradually mutated to 'Going up to see the Shed' i.e. the Team, then it spread to all things United,fans included. Wasn't the official programme called 'The Shed' for a while, long before it was called the Arab? Some of that initial small band have gone to join Jerry Kerr in the DUFC Boardroom in the sky (The Shed in the sky?). A good few of my (non-United) friends to this day often ask me 'are you going up to see the Shed today,' etc. For us, few as we are, it is part of our footballing culture. The use of the term is second nature to us.

I would contest that 'Shed' has grown to have far greater DUFC related meanings than the just the origins it sprang from. Nevertheless, it is not my intention, either on this board or on any other, to cause offence of any kind to anyone, therefore I will try and limit my references to 'Shed.' Please keep in mind that I have never properly embraced the term 'Arabs,' but accept its common use amongst fellow fans. For myself, the Arabs are the Shed, in whatever DUFC context it is being used in. The term Arabs is commonly used to refer to just about anything United in much the same way as I use The Shed.

As said, I will try and keep your advice in mind. I am grateful to one recent poster who implied that no one has the monopoly over deciding who is a fan or not, or has a right to force their will on others. Nevertheless I enjoy posting on this board, but will try and keep the sensitivities of others in mind.
    Last edited by RAM1971; 04-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Ive referred to Utd as the Shed before, what's wrong with it? and why is the shed end called the shed anyway?is it named after the famous shed end at Chelsea?

Wouldn't say it's famous, maybe well known in England, only shed I knew of was at Tannadice (though knew there would be others) until the abramovich era when I found out about them having a shed in the past

At one point in history it was litterally a wooden shed and got burned doon after promotion according to my old man anyway, reckons he was there when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Ive referred to Utd as the Shed before, what's wrong with it? and why is the shed end called the shed anyway?is it named after the famous shed end at Chelsea?
    And you come on here and admit it on a public forum? Have you no shame?

I have seen objections here to our esteemed friends from up the road using the term 'Dabs,' in reference to anything relating to Dundee United FC. I have possibly heard what this term means, but have forgotten it. It seems that whoever coined the term had a speech impediment, pronouncing their Ar's for Dees? (think about it!) As a result, 'Arabs' became 'Dabs?'

Is it ok to use the expression ‘shed rule’?

Quote Originally Posted by thefutureistangerine4 View Post
    Is it ok to use the expression ‘shed rule’?

Are you referring to the section of support who in former times found sanctuary within the lean-to shelter at the west end of the ground?

I have referred to some players as "heartless" ,"feart" , "****tebags" and "pish" .............is that OK, or are there more PC things I should be calling them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)