+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 76 League Cup final

76 League Cup final

Was just reading about the final yesterday and had a look at the team lines, now I had just turned 13 at the time and had been going to home games for 3 years, one name stood out for me that I cant put a face to, George Campbell, can anyone on here remember him, I did a quick check and noticed he had played a few games for us before he headed off to the Australian leagues.

first final, we got a bit of a doing 2nd half but held out for Basil to score the winner in extra time.
    Ally McLeod= Legend

Campbell was nicknamed Pele, **** knows why.
    He was 1970s version of Scott Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by seeyazander View Post
    Was just reading about the final yesterday and had a look at the team lines, now I had just turned 13 at the time and had been going to home games for 3 years, one name stood out for me that I cant put a face to, George Campbell, can anyone on here remember him, I did a quick check and noticed he had played a few games for us before he headed off to the Australian leagues.
    My first ever cup final.
    In the old main stand about 10 rows back from where they used to present the cup.
    I remember I was absolutely bursting for a pish as the cup was about to be presented, but was too scared to say to the old man :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    My first ever cup final.
    In the old main stand about 10 rows back from where they used to present the cup.
    I remember I was absolutely bursting for a pish as the cup was about to be presented, but was too scared to say to the old man :-)
    I was sat in the back o my old mans Vauxhall Viva with my 3 wee brothers listening to the match on an old crackling radio.
    Went into Pittodrie on the Sunday for the cup parade though.

Pele Campbell, Highlander as I recall.
    Peripheral in the first team squad from, what, 75 until 78 ish.
    Left for Australia and I dinna think ever returned.

Wee blond heided left winger, was the next big thing for about 3 seasons.
    Made his debut affa young, 16/17 ish.

Pele played for Lochaber in schools fitba and was unplayable.

He played very few games for us before going to Oz, as we still had Bumper on the left wing.

He was, rumour has it, firmly of the Heelan God-bothering tendency, but that seems to have waned, as he was pinting it up (wee) freely at the 40th anniversary lunch 17 months ago.

He said that he now owns a sports supply and coaching company in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by seeyazander View Post
    He is doing ok, one of the players from the final posted on FB a photo from the the 40th anniversary, nae the biggest but very good....Bumper was excellent though, albeit he has not aged as well as Pele.
    I did reply to chum that it was my first final, first of many trophies seen won and also the first time I had a tin of beer....(too young to drink, it came from the selllick end).....bounced aff ma heid!

SF

My first final too - in the old wooden North Stand, and I couldna believe how much it shook when Basil scored the winner! Great day all-round, even the journey in a rickety school minibus.... nae beer for me though, even though I was all of 12!!

Aye, mayhem that day right enough.

Fortunately I was in the South Stand but had a great view of the bottles going over and the minkers trying to climb the fence etc.

I don't remember Campbell at all.
    He would have had to be good to take Bumper's place

Hulldon min

That Old stand was mintal.

I was in it during the 2-0 thrashing of the English in 1974

I didn't think it was going to last the 90 minutes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast