+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a team

What a team

Outstanding.

Yip, cap doffed once again. What we lack in quality, we make up for in character and that has given us our second cup run of the season.

I actually thought we were utter pish today and couldn't see us scoring for the life of me until that absolute corker from McHugh, a goal fit to win any match. But as I've said a million times, I don't care if we play poorly, if we win then that matters not a jot and especially so in the Cup.

Well done Robinson and thank you for giving us ANOTHER cup run. God we wait years for one and then two come along in the one season!

I actually had my initial thoughts drafted in my head as I was sure we were going to lose. Glad to be wrong!

They were along the lines that - even in a poor defeat - Robinson deserves tremendous credit. We have a rag taggle squad, befitting our status in the game, but - allowing for the odd obvious off day etc - he gets 100%, even 110% out of what he has available.

I think our strengths are clear. We will grind out wins against the dross and give those better than us a real challenge, sometimes successfully, if they are not at their best and willing to match us physically. But for all the effort in the world there are still limitations. Once Hearts got their foot on it in the second half we were chasing shadows and lucky to stay in it.

Crucially, however, we didn't give the game away. Pressure often leads to mistakes and for all we scarcely cleared our 18-yard-box - certainly not in control of the ball - we didn't throw them the goal that the balance of play probably merited. Do that and you're in with a chance of sneaking it through a mistake/wonderstrike of your own and we came good...

So major hat-tip Stephen Robinson. Our cup record, especially compared to the six years before is absolutely mind-boggling. You'd have got laughed out the bookies if you'd asked for odds on us beating six SPL sides out seven, never mind how and who.

The only thing we could actually ask for more this season is winning the cup...surely not?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    They were along the lines that - even in a poor defeat - Robinson deserves tremendous credit. We have a rag taggle squad, befitting our status in the game, but - allowing for the odd obvious off day etc - he gets 100%, even 110% out of what he has available.
    A tad harsh but I agree about Robinson's achievements. Well done to him and the management team. Over the piece we just deserved the win. We were the better side in the first half and were unlucky not to score an earlier goal when Cadden's effort was ruled ineligible. Yes the Hearts keeper got one hand on the ball but its open to debate as to whether it was under his control. Not one protest from the Hearts players it has to be said. Hearts changes things at half time and deservedly equalised through a silly penalty. They then bossed the second half with the crucial exception of the final 10 minutes. McHugh's wonder strike was enough to see us over the line and another Hampden visit beckons. A great day to be a Well fan. Our treasurer will be more than happy.

I thought we played well and controlled the game throughout the first half. Second half we allowed Hearts to much space, especially Naismith, who was Hearst most dangerous player. We came back into it in the last 15 minutes and McHugh scored an absolute screamer. We were deserved winners in my view. We have another great chance of a Hampden final yet again.

I thought Robinsons substitutions were spot on though didnt think so at the time. Cifti was rightly hooked but was a brave decision to take Tait off but it gave us some impetus in the last 15 mins.

Thought we got the result we deserved on our first half display today and thought half time score flattered “Jambos”. After losing goal in second half we seemed to fall out of the game for a long spell,IMO this was due to Jambos substitute at start of second half who seemed to have a free role to wonder wherever he wanted in the middle of the park spraying passes here there and everywhere. Once we made our changes to counteract this I felt we caused them more problems than they caused us. Two other things I have a problem with today was the standard of the referee who I thought was atrocious and the reported attendance. The ref? lost control from the first kick of the ball booking our players for their first dubious tackle but was willing to let Berra,Naismith and Lafferty to name three get away with murder. The attendance figure given today if you believe it and accept Jambos had nearly 5000 fans then our home support was below 3000 which I don’t accept.

sure looked like a lot of empty seats except for the hearts end

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    Thought we got the result we deserved on our first half display today and thought half time score flattered “Jambos”. After losing goal in second half we seemed to fall out of the game for a long spell,IMO this was due to Jambos substitute at start of second half who seemed to have a free role to wonder wherever he wanted in the middle of the park spraying passes here there and everywhere. Once we made our changes to counteract this I felt we caused them more problems than they caused us. Two other things I have a problem with today was the standard of the referee who I thought was atrocious and the reported attendance. The ref? lost control from the first kick of the ball booking our players for their first dubious tackle but was willing to let Berra,Naismith and Lafferty to name three get away with murder. The attendance figure given today if you believe it and accept Jambos had nearly 5000 fans then our home support was below 3000 which I don’t accept.
    I think the figures are correct. In normal games sections M F and C in the east stand are full. They were half empty today and the Cooper Stand was as sparsely populated as you are likely to see all season. Poor Poor home turn out

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    A tad harsh but I agree about Robinson's achievements. Well done to him and the management team. Over the piece we just deserved the win. We were the better side in the first half and were unlucky not to score an earlier goal when Cadden's effort was ruled ineligible. Yes the Hearts keeper got one hand on the ball but its open to debate as to whether it was under his control. Not one protest from the Hearts players it has to be said. Hearts changes things at half time and deservedly equalised through a silly penalty. They then bossed the second half with the crucial exception of the final 10 minutes. McHugh's wonder strike was enough to see us over the line and another Hampden visit beckons. A great day to be a Well fan. Our treasurer will be more than happy.
    Perhaps a tad but certainly no more...there's more than one in our squad who can barely play football at all.

I don't mean that as a major criticism btw, though obviously it sounds nasty. It's just the inevitable fact of being a small club - as witnessed again by the shocking home support yesterday - with extremely limited potential.

The disallowed goal was marginally correct I thought...the keeper was incredibly lucky but the rule is clear that the ball being trapped between a hand and the ground is under control, even if only by fluke half a second before the attacker plays it. Players rarely know the full rules of football so I wouldn't put much stock in their reaction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)