+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The immediate future: Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Don't disagree, but my business brain also tells me - why did we not buy in the January window when it was plainly obvious we needed to do so, and why gamble on an injured croc? Don't forget after releasing the youngster we were financially in credit!

My business brain also tells me why did we go for an unemployed wide boy who was less likely to succeed over the person who was sacked and had to go, albeit - he did a decent job the season before finishing 10th!
    Evening Al'.

Without meaning to be pedantic or disrespectful, your business brain isn't telling you anything.

It appears to be asking you questions, lots and lots of questions.

Why? Because you and your business brain clearly don't have a bloody clue what the answers are .

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Evening Al'.

Without meaning to be pedantic or disrespectful, your business brain isn't telling you anything.

It appears to be asking you questions, lots and lots of questions.

Why? Because you and your business brain clearly don't have a bloody clue what the answers are .
    Not sure who to believe has the best business brain baggieal or our billionaire owner. Tough one.

I think billionaire maybe an indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Not sure who to believe has the best business brain baggieal or our billionaire owner. Tough one.
    A feckin idiot would have realized prior to the Huddersfield match this clown would not turn the results around!

Under normal circumstances I'd be very much against changing managers, having already changed once this season. However, these are not normal circumstances! To give us a chance, we should have got rid after the Huddersfield defeat but to still to persist with the same situation borders on the criminal or insane, or both. It begs the question, have the board given up and are resigned to relegation? The other scenario is that they have approached other options but have been turned down. Whatever the case is, it's an absolute shambles and the club has gone from being a model that other clubs were recommended to follow to being a ' laughing stock'.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    It is a tough one because if we go down then yes we have the potential to be more competitive and possibly even win something, but then the reward for that is to get promoted back into the big money PL. So the incentive for doing well is to go back to where we say we are happy to leave!

I have been looking at the records of the Championship since it’s first season in 2004. Teams are obviously promoted into it or relegated into it (I know you know but just in case Mr Lai is reading this). Since 2004 55 different teams have played in the Championship and of those 55 only 17 have been promoted out of it at anytime, some more than once of course, including ourselves. In the same period 29 different clubs have been relegated to Division 1 (lesson for Mr Lai there is also relegation from the Championship).

8 clubs, Cardiff, Derby, Ipswich, Leeds, Nottm F, QPR, Reading and Sheff W have been in the Championship for at least 10 of the 13 seasons and Barnsley, Preston and Wolves are in their 10th season since 2004 this year the 14th season. Burnley and Watford also have had 10 years in the Championship in this period although in the PL at the moment.

All this concludes me to think there is a hardcore of Championship teams, just as there is a hardcore of teams in the PL. Relegation and promotion is usually therefore done by the other teams outside of this hardcore. The problem is against the 17 who have gone up, out of the 55, a total of 29 clubs have at some time been relegated to Division 1.

Relegation to the Championship is therefore for me a risky option. Yes we could do well but the recent past shows there are massive dangers in another relegation, immediately or in a few years tim, unless we get it right quickly. I think we do need a massive change of personnel throughout the club from top to bottom. I am far from convinced that we have the people in place behind the scenes to manage that and as we are seeing in the Championship and other leagues once a club gets on a downward slide it can take a lot to stop it going further.

I am usually a very positive person, you have to be to support our club for 60 years. However, I am struggling to be positive about a relegation to the Championship, if it happens at the end of this season, despite all that I despise about the multi millionaire fat cat culture that is the PL.
    Thats exactly it Yarm. Going down is NOT, and never will be a good thing. Mid table mediochrity is fine by me because it means we can build and grow. We just cant afford a slippery slide. This club has been totally STUPID, and failed to build on a solid mid table position. No vision and we have paid for it. Excellent stats, you cant argue with it at all. Its mouth shutting stuff. Wolves have done great but I forgot how long it took them to sort themselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Thats exactly it Yarm. Going down is NOT, and never will be a good thing. Mid table mediochrity is fine by me because it means we can build and grow. We just cant afford a slippery slide. This club has been totally STUPID, and failed to build on a solid mid table position. No vision and we have paid for it. Excellent stats, you cant argue with it at all. Its mouth shutting stuff. Wolves have done great but I forgot how long it took them to sort themselves out.
    Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Can't see where anyone has said going down is a good thing. If you are content with mid table mediocrity then that is your opinion, one I both understand and respect.
    There is one massive flaw in your arguement. In the modern day Premier League a club can't build on mid table (Leics City excepted.) All but the top 6 or 7 are simply queueing up to be relegated. It was only a matter of time before we got things wrong and it was our turn to be relegated.
    So the stats don't shut my mouth.
    Just to be clear once again. I'm not happy to be relegated but I do believe a season in the Championship gives me a better opportunity of seeing some exciting football from my team.
    What I don't get all this acceptance of it has to be doom and gloom for a near future. Let's hope I'm right.

Can't see where anyone has said going down is a good thing. If you are content with mid table mediocrity then that is your opinion, one I both understand and respect.
    There is one massive flaw in your arguement. In the modern day Premier League a club can't build on mid table (Leics City excepted.) All but the top 6 or 7 are simply queueing up to be relegated. It was only a matter of time before we got things wrong and it was our turn to be relegated.
    Just to be clear once again. I'm not happy to be relegated but I do believe a season in the Championship gives me a better opportunity of seeing some exciting football from my team.
    What I don't get all this acceptance of it has to be doom and gloom for a near future. Let's hope I'm right.

It will be doom and gloom if Rondon is still around as the goal posts in the championship are still the same size. Two games a week would also knacker some of our squad out. Livermore will be Russia bound in the Summer thinking of his options but hope he tries to rob a cab whilst there, so he does not come back! At least Chadli won't have to think of any pre-season hills as he no doubt, will still be in the physio room of another premiership club!

I see Odemgreedie is back for the charity match wearing our beloved stripes - any chance anyone can offer him a brown envelope so he can polish his boots to come back for the championship. Just a thought but at least he knew you stuck the ball in between the two white posts. So Salomon if you are reading - "meter la pelota entre los dos postes blancos que tu madre folla"

Pardew still believes and this belief has ignited further with the exciting news that Robson Kanu might be making a come back this Saturday! On that note Blood - increase your ticket price to £30 as it might be a sell out
    Last edited by baggieal; 08-03-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    It is a tough one because if we go down then yes we have the potential to be more competitive and possibly even win something, but then the reward for that is to get promoted back into the big money PL. So the incentive for doing well is to go back to where we say we are happy to leave!

I have been looking at the records of the Championship since it’s first season in 2004. Teams are obviously promoted into it or relegated into it (I know you know but just in case Mr Lai is reading this). Since 2004 55 different teams have played in the Championship and of those 55 only 17 have been promoted out of it at anytime, some more than once of course, including ourselves. In the same period 29 different clubs have been relegated to Division 1 (lesson for Mr Lai there is also relegation from the Championship).

8 clubs, Cardiff, Derby, Ipswich, Leeds, Nottm F, QPR, Reading and Sheff W have been in the Championship for at least 10 of the 13 seasons and Barnsley, Preston and Wolves are in their 10th season since 2004 this year the 14th season. Burnley and Watford also have had 10 years in the Championship in this period although in the PL at the moment.

All this concludes me to think there is a hardcore of Championship teams, just as there is a hardcore of teams in the PL. Relegation and promotion is usually therefore done by the other teams outside of this hardcore. The problem is against the 17 who have gone up, out of the 55, a total of 29 clubs have at some time been relegated to Division 1.

Relegation to the Championship is therefore for me a risky option. Yes we could do well but the recent past shows there are massive dangers in another relegation, immediately or in a few years tim, unless we get it right quickly. I think we do need a massive change of personnel throughout the club from top to bottom. I am far from convinced that we have the people in place behind the scenes to manage that and as we are seeing in the Championship and other leagues once a club gets on a downward slide it can take a lot to stop it going further.

I am usually a very positive person, you have to be to support our club for 60 years. However, I am struggling to be positive about a relegation to the Championship, if it happens at the end of this season, despite all that I despise about the multi millionaire fat cat culture that is the PL.
    Outside of the acknowledged biggest 7 in the Prem the 2 teams that have been longest in the division just happen to be the same 2 teams at the bottom of the Prem right now.
    Like I said queueing up to be relegated.

It is relying on hope thats for sure, but wolves 10 seasons to come back and thats ok? not mouth shutting? You just said one season in the championship? It took wolves 10, why do you think after we lose the spine of our team and HOPEFULLY get a manager who does something we will be back in one season? It is largely doom and gloom. Mid table prem is obviously better than a league lower.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)