+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The immediate future: Why not?

The immediate future: Why not?

Whether is from the perspective of our owner or my own I just can't agree with all the certaintity of doom and gloom surrounding our great club's near future.

Foreign owners buy Premier League primarily for the kudos of owning an English football team from the league that is a hugely successful world wide brand. For Lai I would think the Premier League is everything and so he will have a massive motivation to get us back quickly both for the kudos and to protect his investment. Talk of asset stripping, fire sales, ground sales, Coventry & Portsmouth parallels are imo ridiculous and unnecessarily pessimistic at this time. If we did struggle for a couple of seasons in the Championship then I would be concerned about Lai losing interest. But why assume that, why not assume we can rebuild and have a couple of exciting seasons?

For me staying in the Prem is not everything as what it guarantees is season of just trying to stay up. We would finish between 10th and 20th with 30-45 points. In the Championship could finish anywhere between 1st and 24th and have 45-100 points. Some on here seem convinced it would be 20th or worse but why assume the worst? Get rid of deadwood, bring in a young manager commited to attacking football, introduce some of our supposedly excellent academy players into the first team and the 2018/19 season will potentially be an exciting one and the football better than what I have witnessed for the past few seasons of watching other teams have most of the ball.

I have already booked up most of March April and May weekends for this year as I know I won't be missing anything from my team. But next season I hope to nothing booked up in case I miss the match we clinch the Championship or automatic or a play off place or a visit to Wembley. I am sure there are those of thinking more likely a relegation 6 pointer. Well you live in your world and leave me happy in the expectation of an interesting season.

So COYB put a smile back on a few faces.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Whether is from the perspective of our owner or my own I just can't agree with all the certaintity of doom and gloom surrounding our great club's near future.

Foreign owners buy Premier League primarily for the kudos of owning an English football team from the league that is a hugely successful world wide brand. For Lai I would think the Premier League is everything and so he will have a massive motivation to get us back quickly both for the kudos and to protect his investment. Talk of asset stripping, fire sales, ground sales, Coventry & Portsmouth parallels are imo ridiculous and unnecessarily pessimistic at this time. If we did struggle for a couple of seasons in the Championship then I would be concerned about Lai losing interest. But why assume that, why not assume we can rebuild and have a couple of exciting seasons?

For me staying in the Prem is not everything as what it guarantees is season of just trying to stay up. We would finish between 10th and 20th with 30-45 points. In the Championship could finish anywhere between 1st and 24th and have 45-100 points. Some on here seem convinced it would be 20th or worse but why assume the worst? Get rid of deadwood, bring in a young manager commited to attacking football, introduce some of our supposedly excellent academy players into the first team and the 2018/19 season will potentially be an exciting one and the football better than what I have witnessed for the past few seasons of watching other teams have most of the ball.

I have already booked up most of March April and May weekends for this year as I know I won't be missing anything from my team. But next season I hope to nothing booked up in case I miss the match we clinch the Championship or automatic or a play off place or a visit to Wembley. I am sure there are those of thinking more likely a relegation 6 pointer. Well you live in your world and leave me happy in the expectation of an interesting season.

So COYB put a smile back on a few faces.
    Completely agree with all of this,

I'm a glass half full type of supporter anyway, but the last 12 months have been painful viewing.

*IF* we restructure properly, get a young progressive manager in. Get rid of our overpaid deadwood, keep the solid pro's and integrate some good young players with a couple of decent signings we actually have a chance of winning something next season. We have a chance to start again and play some decent football.

Jenkins, or whoever is making the big decisions have a huge summer ahead of them...

Start off by hiring a good manager. I don't think he'd come to us, but someone I've admired is Gary Rowett. If not him, then someone in his mould. A young and hungry, up and coming manager please.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Completely agree with all of this,

I'm a glass half full type of supporter anyway, but the last 12 months have been painful viewing.

*IF* we restructure properly, get a young progressive manager in. Get rid of our overpaid deadwood, keep the solid pro's and integrate some good young players with a couple of decent signings we actually have a chance of winning something next season. We have a chance to start again and play some decent football.

Jenkins, or whoever is making the big decisions have a huge summer ahead of them...

Start off by hiring a good manager. I don't think he'd come to us, but someone I've admired is Gary Rowett. If not him, then someone in his mould. A young and hungry, up and coming manager please.

lesser talent whether it's work, school or a football environment means less competition and the more likely you have of winning things. I would like to be at the top of anything to really compete, but understand not everyone thinks the same way. Some junior football teams where there'a an A and a B team for example would rather have two mixed teams of abilities as opposed to one strong team and one weaker team, which pleases some but does not please those kids who have the talent to be at the top or stretched.

So whatever floats your boat as no real answer. I would rather be at the top in footballing terms albeit, seeing the team struggle in the top league. I do understand though, those who get more of a thrill from the excitement of the championship and better tasting pies at Bolton, Barnsley etc at a better price. But not for me though!

If I wanted more attacking football, better tasting pies and lager, I would rather watch non league than be happier in a league lower than the Premiership, although yes I will still go, but certainly it does zero for me.

So Premiership every time............................

I know things are a little grim at the moment. But it isn’t all bad. Went to watch my 6year old granddaughter play in a schools football tournament today. Not fully sure how it was organised and there was a loose interpretation of the laws of the game. Nevertheless the kids absolutely loved it. They were incredibly keen and full of noise and excitement both when playing and watching. A great experience. Who said football isn’t fun any more! Up the Baggies!!

Nothing wrong with lower league football. Ill be going to watch my local team, Folkestone Invicta, play tonight in the Bostik Premier. I go along to most games, stand there for about two hours getting absolutely frozen but still enjoy it. Get a lot of pleasure deriding the officials and every misplaced pass but still come away enjoying it. As you said Q, football can still be fun irrespective of the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Nothing wrong with lower league football. Ill be going to watch my local team, Folkestone Invicta, play tonight in the Bostik Premier. I go along to most games, stand there for about two hours getting absolutely frozen but still enjoy it. Get a lot of pleasure deriding the officials and every misplaced pass but still come away enjoying it. As you said Q, football can still be fun irrespective of the standard.

Whilst, I don't think the championship will be fun watching West Brom there again - less quality - poorer stadiums etc etc, I agree watching a local non league team is good fun - easier to get to - not as bothered about the result - pints/hot dogs and easier to take the kids. That said - non league football is not cheap as an adult can be charged anything from £10 to £15

Stick with it TB....I'll get me coat....

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Whilst, I don't think the championship will be fun watching West Brom there again - less quality - poorer stadiums etc etc, I agree watching a local non league team is good fun - easier to get to - not as bothered about the result - pints/hot dogs and easier to take the kids. That said - non league football is not cheap as an adult can be charged anything from £10 to £15
    Get away with a senoir citizen now Al, only costing £7. Gone are the days when I used to crawl through the hole in the fence though!

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    I know things are a little grim at the moment. But it isn’t all bad. Went to watch my 6year old granddaughter play in a schools football tournament today. Not fully sure how it was organised and there was a loose interpretation of the laws of the game. Nevertheless the kids absolutely loved it. They were incredibly keen and full of noise and excitement both when playing and watching. A great experience. Who said football isn’t fun any more! Up the Baggies!!
    They absolutely love it don't they?

I agree things are not that bad sports wise, after all, the cricket season starts next month...

Get away with a senoir citizen now Al, only costing £7. Gone are the days when I used to crawl through the hole in the fence though!

Ha Ha - bargain! Pardew should be managing a non league side...................... Then again Livermore and a few others such as Rondon would be found out if they played even at that level!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)