+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Invitation to Comment on Any Players in Leeds Utd Squad 2017/18.

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    The thing that does my head in right now is that when we were finishing in the bottom half every season and we didn't even hardly sniff the top half in any of those seasons, fans weren't moaning half as much as they are now, despite this season overall so far being a better effort!

For what it's worth, here's my squad keeps and ditches

Wiedwald ditch
    Lonergan ditch
    Farrell keep
    Ayling keep
    Berardi keep
    Coyle keep
    Debock keep
    Denton keep
    Jansson keep
    Cooper ditch
    Pennington ditch
    Shaughnessy keep
    Forshaw keep
    Okane ditch
    Klich ditch
    Murphy ditch
    Anita ditch
    Phillips keep
    Vieira keep
    Alioski keep
    Dallas keep
    Sacko keep
    Hernandez keep
    Saiz keep
    Lasogga keep
    Roofe ditch
    Ekuban keep
    Antonsson ditch
    Cibicki ditch
    Grot keep
    Roberts keep
    the only way sacko should be kept clive, is to take radrizaanis dog for a walk. lol

Talking

Where to start Mrs O .........

Firstly, the point about infrastructure is well made. Ultimately this is a business and the basis of any business going forward is a sound bedrock upon which strategies and aspirations can be built. Getting the infrastructure right is essential and, in our case, that includes the stadium, training facilities, pitch, floodlights, scoreboard, car parks, transport hubs, catering etc etc right down to the toilets. What we need is a stadium that away fans should be jealous of and an infrastructure and support environment that enables (indeed maybe even encourages) the players to strive to give their best performances because they WANT to be part of an impressive set-up.

For us, and many similar clubs, the scouting network, training pipeline and academy are another fundamental strand. A successful youth programme can produce a crop of (relatively inexpensive) committed talent, who will (or at least should) have an inbred sense of loyalty and affinity with the Club that has nurtured them and given them an opportunity (clearly, this will dissipate as they get older, greedier and more cynical). This was evident in the group of younger players that came through together back when we were good (the second time).

Turning briefly to our current squad. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread we lost a small group of players at the back end of last season that have not been replaced by anything like the same level of quality. In order of priority (measured against our current main weaknesses) I would suggest - Green, Bartley, Woods, Taylor and Bridcutt; if pushed, you could probably add Mowatt in too. Had we kept at least some of these, in conjunction with our 3 or 4 good new signings, we would have indeed been a force to be reckoned with.

As you say, it really all comes down to money and trying to balance ambition with pragmatism. Leeds is a one club city with a big (and potentially much bigger) fan base. If someone can get the on pitch performances right then the potential is clear. We do (and can continue) to generate significant revenues from TV Rights and with a more successful (and more entertaining) brand of football we can certainly exploit global markets to increase both presence and revenue.

Some people have suggested it's unfair to single out individual players in a quest to apportion blame - but is it really? They are pampered and extremely well paid in an industry that has an easily identifiable and quantifiable measure of success (or not). It's a results based business and if the players don't play their part in producing those results then they absolutely should be criticised and held to account. Ultimately, if they don't perform to the level required then they should be sacked; as would happen in almost any other business environment.

Therefore (with marks out of 10):

• Wiedwald 2 - woefully inadequate, lacking in confidence, terrible with anything in the air which is evident to both team mates and opponents alike. The occasional good reaction save is not sufficient at this level (or several levels lower). Get rid.
    • Lonergan 3 - similar to Wiedwald but slightly better at dealing with crosses. Get rid.
    • Farrell - nothing to base a judgement on but should definitely been given a chance (despite a name that sounds like he should be playing lacrosse for Surrey; in itself an indication of character if he's lasted this long!). Keep.
    • Ayling 7 Always tries hard, is reasonably quick and offers something going forward. Keep
    • Berardi 7 Committed and seems to actually care (unlike many of the others). Strong and aggressive tackler and frequently plays out of position for the good of the team. If we could clone his commitment and work ethic it would benefit his team mates.
    • Coyle - Not sure?
    • Debock 5 May be worth keeping but he needs to learn how to pass (to his own team). Jury's out.
    • Denton - no basis to judge.
    • Jansson 7 - Keep.
    • Cooper 6 - Difficult call because sometimes he plays well but lacks judgement and consistency. Jury's out.
    • Pennington 4 - Looks like he should be better than he ever appears to be. Not sure if more confidence and better team mates will help him? Jury's out.
    • Shaughnessy 4 - Same as Pennington.
    • Forshaw 7 - One of few good signings. Definitely keep.
    • Okane 4 - Little to offer - not a great tackler and average to poor passing (apparently both useful attributes for a midfield player). Get rid.
    • Klich 3 - Hasn't really been given a chance which with the level of competition indicates that he must be useless. Get rid.
    • Murphy 3 - Average but not good enough at this level.
    • Anita 2 - Consistently one of our worse performers. Can't tackle, head or pass and is both ponderously slow and lazy (he rarely tracks back when he inevitably gets beaten). I'll drive him somewhere else myself.
    • Phillips 5 - very inconsistent but I suppose we've got to keep somebody. Keep but watch for improvement.
    • Vieira 5 - Has potential but very poor decsion making and passing - he might improve in a better team? A risk keep.
    • Alioski 6 - Links well with Saiz and usually puts in a lot of effort (if sometimes lacking a final product). A luxury player in a struggling team but may shine if things improve. Keep.
    • Dallas 6 - Hardworking and versatile. Never going to set the world on fire but a solid squad player. Keep.
    • Sacko 2 - Vying with Wiedwald and Anita for overall worst player. If it was only about running fast in straight lines then he could be a world beater but he has no end product. He may be suited to the Father's race at a school sports day but he is never going to make it at this level of football.
    • Hernandez 7 - One of only 2 genuinely talented and creative players. Sometimes goes missing and falls over far too easily but on occasion has at least tried to tackle back. His set piece delivery can be good but has all too often been poor this season. Keep.
    • Saiz 8 - Our best player by a country mile. We shouldn't forget that his petulance and stupidity has all but cost us a play off place but we still need him (even if he's unlikely to stay). Keep (please!).
    • Lasogga 6 - Something of a conundrum. Some games he looks like an overweight oaf but others he tries hard and creates problems for defenders. He should make more of his physicality. Nowhere near as good as Wood but Keep.
    • Roofe 5 - Flatters to deceive. Can be too lightweight and has missed a couple of potentially season defining opportunities. Jury's out but tending towards get rid.
    • Ekuban 5 - Look the part but hasn't really shown much yet. Hopefully he will improve. Keep.
    • Antonsson 4 - Never looked anything special. Get rid.
    • Cibicki 4 - Not many chances but the Newport game probably showed why. Get rid.
    • Grot 4 - Quite young so may develop. Keep for now.
    • Roberts keep - No idea.

3. Apart from that ...................... we're all good :-)
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

A real quality post UbiqueLUFC33, not saying I agreed with everything you wrote but I really enjoyed the read and it gives something to ponder.

I'm not sure many of you are getting the point - it's a team sport - and I bet with the right coaching, most of these so-called "monkeys" could do their job.

Running them down on an open message board seems very counter-productive.

But, who am I to disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I'm not sure many of you are getting the point - it's a team sport - and I bet with the right coaching, most of these so-called "monkeys" could do their job.

Running them down on an open message board seems very counter-productive.

But, who am I to disagree?
    Sweet dreams are made of this...........

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastAndy View Post
    Sweet dreams are made of this...........
    I’ll set ‘em up.

* Gets Annie’s gun *

Everybody’s looking for something.

* Scapegoats? *

Everybody’s looking for something.

* Scapegoats? *
    Would I lie to you?

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post
    Would I lie to you?
    LUFC: no matter what you do, I only want to be with you.

LUFC: no matter what you do, I only want to be with you.
    next you’ll be saying your never gonna gibpve you up, never gonna say goodbye (or is that just Marley)

• Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)