+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Europe Anyone

Europa League is the nightmare scenario for us, Dyche and the squad need to be working together together down Gawthorpe pre- season, not jetting off to tiny little ****-holes all over Eastern Europe. It's the last thing we want, this season as we played our 18th game, Everton were playing their 30th, we can't cope with that. If we qualify I'll be having a few quid on us to be relegated, it will wreck our season.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Europa League is the nightmare scenario for us, Dyche and the squad need to be working together together down Gawthorpe pre- season, not jetting off to tiny little ****-holes all over Eastern Europe. It's the last thing we want, this season as we played our 18th game, Everton were playing their 30th, we can't cope with that. If we qualify I'll be having a few quid on us to be relegated, it will wreck our season.
    I understand your logic but kind of strange to be saying I hope we are not that successful.

Lets just play for mid table every year.

Let do a Stoke or Southampton.

Wait--maybe not a great idea as that doesn't work for long.

Agree with Sinkov.

Here was the timetable for the early rounds for example. I have no idea at what stage we would enter the competition.

2017/18 UEFA Europa League calendar
    19/06/17: First and second qualifying round draws
    29/06/17: First qualifying round, first leg
    06/07/17: First qualifying round, second leg
    13/07/17: Second qualifying round, first leg
    14/07/17: Third qualifying round draw
    20/07/17: Second qualifying round, second leg
    27/07/17: Third qualifying round, first leg
    03/08/17: Third qualifying round, second leg

04/08/17: Play-off draw
    17/08/17: Play-off round, first leg
    24/08/17: Play-off round, second leg

Playing competitive footy in June (in a World Cup year) would not be good. And the likely opposition would not attract many punters.

And then there are the group stages. A succession of Thursday/Sunday matches, possibly long journeys to the arse end of Europe...

I would much rather have a clear run at the Prem, and an FA Cup run, next season.

We are not equipped for a European adventure - yet.

Give it a year or two.

Secretly, I bet Sean agrees.

I can't see how they could envisage playing the Europa League in June in the middle of the World Cup, but then again with EUFA and FIFA anything is possible.

The World Cup runs from 14 June to 15 July which, looking at the above schedules for the Europa League for this season could make life very interesting.
    The preliminary round first leg games are scheduled to be played on 28 June with the second leg on 5 July.
    First qualifying round first leg will be 12 July with the second leg on 19 July.
    Second qualifying round first leg will be 26 July with the second leg on 2 August
    Third qualifying round first leg will be 9 August with second leg on 16 August.
    Play-off round first leg is 23 August and second leg 30 August.
    Group stage starts on 20 September through to 13 December

To be honest I would be happy not to be participating, however, that is just my thoughts.

I hope we miss out! I think it is too big an ask of a relatively small squad but I would bet a few bob that SD thinks differently.

He would use these games as part of his pre-season and of course it would also give him a very good excuse to seriously strengthen his squad.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Can Arsenal get 9 or Leicester 18 to beat that?
    Arsenal Have some 'favourable' fixtures remaining. Hopefully the UEFA League will have a fatigue effect:

8th March - Milan Vrs Arsenal
    11th March - Arsenal Vrs Watford
    15th March - Arsenal Vrs Milan
    1st April - Arsenal Vrs Stoke
    5th April - UEFA Quarter Final 1st leg
    9th April - Arsenal vrs Stoke
    12th April - UEFA Quarter Final 2nd leg
    15th April - Newcastle Vrs Arsenal
    23rd April - Arsenal Vrs West ham
    26th April - UEFA Semi Final 1st leg
    29th April - Man Utd Vrs Arsenal
    3rd May - UEFA Semi Final 2nd leg
    5th May - Arsenal Vrs Burnley
    13th May - Huddersfield vrs Arsenal
    16th May - UEFA Final

Here’s the rules for qualification

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018..._Europa_League

It looks to me like provided England stays in the top 4 ranked countries then the Carabo cup winner takes place 6 and enters the second qualifying round. The fifth team in the league goes into the group stages. Unsure if the Cup winner (City) qualify for the CL whether the runner up Arsenal takes their place. If Arsenal win this years Europa Cup they go into the CL too.
    If a British club wins the CL then that is an additional place.
    Looks like fun!

The fact that Arsene is insisting he will see out his contract and that he is the right man to take Arsenal forward is music to my ears. At the moment he is driving them forward over a cliff. The West Ham game now becomes critical for us if we are to overhaul the Gunners. We have a poor record against the Hammers and now would be a good time to get one over on Moyes as well. They have plenty of dangerous forwards but can Barnes and Wood expose their defensive frailties?

Play the Dev squad in the europa league. Simple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)