Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
Don't hold your breath.
OK, firstly lets look at Italian politic election. It is like a lot of Europe (Germany good example) of coalition governments. No one power seems to dominate and so a government is formed by alliance. That does not necessarily mean the most popular party gets a place of power, as you well know. My point was that there has been a massive rise in National and populist opposition. They need to stop being prima donas and do the same thing. It is the EU's worst nightmare.

But why the rise?
1. Easy- immigration. As of 2017, there was 5 million foreign nationals in Italy (1 million Romanians-10% Roma). Not including the invasion from North Africa. The demographic map of Italy, showing 5 star domination, includes the bulk of the country. I'd wager this pisses most Italians off, as it does here.
The EU has come under constant fire from Italian officials, due to the lack of help from the EU. Both in redistribution and stopping the influx. The talk now is of with holding EU payments, whilst Eastern bloc countries, continue to resist having migrants forced on them( don't hold your breath). So yes, the EU has caused pain here.

2. Austerity- Euro
The loss of enthusiasm started more than a decade ago, when the lira was replaced with the single currency and prices doubled overnight. Then, more recently, Italy’s triple-dip recession and slow recovery — blamed by some on EU-imposed austerity.
Resultant 50% unemployment for the under 25's and a coughing national debt adds to the woe. The mayor of Florence once blasted Merkel.
Mr Renzi told Ms Merkel, that “you cannot say you are giving your blood to Europe” as he lamented double standards that favored German interests to the detriment of Italy on EU regulatory policy.

It's a mess and not confined to Italy. The EU has caused pain across southern Europe and the rise in opposition is there to see. Of course that is my observation only. I am not anti Europe, but I am anti EU.
Return to the Common Market, bin this political Union crap and folks across Europe will be happier.