+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin backs CL

Martin backs CL

Just on the BBC now. Says CL will remain in post even of we don't get up this season.
    Also says admin will not happen if we don't get promoted.
    Last edited by stokearab; 05-03-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Well, I'm glad to hear that admin won't happen if we don't get promoted.

As for the backing of CL, I'm thinking that it's probably a good thing. He's took on a really difficult gig, and he has struggled so far. But a revolving door of managers is not a gd thing.

If this takes the pressure off of CL, and I hope it does, he can start to think more long-term, and I've got a feeling that he could build something here if given time. He's not an egotistical man, and I think he knows that he has a BIG job on his hands. But I like the way he sounds 'up for it'. And I think - given the opportunity - he could be a good manager for United.

We'll see during the summer what transpires. CL will have to be shrewd as he will have little in the way of £.

I tell you what tho, Jim McLean had it right with looking at a player's attitude first and foremost. We need at least a couple of leaders in the dressing room. The way our players have let the heid go down in games has been a disgrace. Many examples, but the Falkirk performance and result sums it up.

Let's get back to the Dundee United of old. A stable club, shrewd in recruitment, youth development oriented, and a club that is forward thinking. We've been fire fighting for too long, trying for the 'quick fix too long.

We need to re-focus and build a team. We certainly can't afford to buy one.

Thats certainly going to give the manager a boost for sure and eases pressure on him, time will tell, but its better than ST ever come out with

Quote Originally Posted by smirky4 View Post
    Thats certainly going to give the manager a boost for sure and eases pressure on him, time will tell, but its better than ST ever come out with
    My first reaction was it's good that MM hasn't wasted any time, and good that he's backing CL publicly.
    My second reaction was that some fans don't rate CL so will not be happy. (I'm in the yet to be convinced camp)

Then I wondered if the players will be overjoyed at this - or not - and what if any reaction we will get in the upcoming games.

No issues with anything MM has said.

I know there are those on here that have written him off already and remain in their fantasy world that there is a queue of wealthy people waiting in the wings desperate to plough money into our club but there is nothing to indicate this is true.

What we do have is a successful businessman willing to let his heart rule his head and invest his money into our club. He had been successful in business and doesn’t strike me as a fool.

He has achieved more in life and in business I would guess than most of the posters on here so forgive me for having more confidence in him than I do in many of the professional critics that make a lot of noise.

He has not done anything yet and for me he will get the benefit of the doubt as our new chairman. The past is the past. Let’s move on and get behind the club.

Pinch of salt required with this comment imo. He's hardly gonna come out & say he plans to sack the manager if we don't get promoted. IF he's true to his word and still firmly believes we'll get promoted, then of course he'll have been speaking to the manager about next season. If we don't get promoted however, I fully expect the axe to fall regardless of what he has just said.

Quote Originally Posted by thefutureistangerine4 View Post
    No issues with anything MM has said.

I know there are those on here that have written him off already and remain in their fantasy world that there is a queue of wealthy people waiting in the wings desperate to plough money into our club but there is nothing to indicate this is true.

What we do have is a successful businessman willing to let his heart rule his head and invest his money into our club. He had been successful in business and doesn’t strike me as a fool.

He has achieved more in life and in business I would guess than most of the posters on here so forgive me for having more confidence in him than I do in many of the professional critics that make a lot of noise.

He has not done anything yet and for me he will get the benefit of the doubt as our new chairman. The past is the past. Let’s move on and get behind the club.
    Let’s see him do more than talk a good game before we have a w@nkfest over him. Not writing him off but reluctant to blindly believe he is the messiah and solver of all our problems.

That said I hope he succeeds, we are really needing to turn things round. I don’t mind if it takes a bit of time but we need to see incremental positive steps to claw our way back from our current predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPetric View Post
    Let’s see him do more than talk a good game before we have a w@nkfest over him. Not writing him off but reluctant to blindly believe he is the messiah and solver of all our problems.

That said I hope he succeeds, we are really needing to turn things round. I don’t mind if it takes a bit of time but we need to see incremental positive steps to claw our way back from our current predicament.
    I hardly think saying give him the benefit of the doubt is having a 'w@nkfest' over him. I don't think anybody is expecting the 'messiah' but god forbid any of us seeing a little bit of light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I fully expect the axe to fall regardless of what he has just said.
    If that were to happen my respect for MM would disappear rather quickly. We need a strong leader at the moment and doing this would be a huge sign of weakness.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)