+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT - The Greatest Sporting Moments (Non-Football)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    You are so wrong there Rog, both in overstating the technology impact on USA single-seater racing (at that time it was a virtual 'spec' series which very much showcased the best drivers) and understating the technology in cycling (I can't comment on rowing)

Just to rub it in, and I'm not even going to explain this one other than to say the message isn't about the sport in question, and to admit that when this happened I have never seen so many blokes openly crying with joy apart from at Mott the Hoople's comeback gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMz33lc7Dc
    I do appreciate the level of technology in cycling, which is hugely pervasive, but you cannot get away from the fact that someone has to pedal them, unlike Scalextric cars which are self powered.

Turning to the Zanardi clip, and no questioning the guy's achievements post crash, but this rather proves my point. He lost both his legs in the crash yet, despite that disability, the car was modified such that his practice times put him in the top 10 for that race. The technology to put him in a position to achieve that must have been exceptional - almost as much as his toughness to achieve it.

One sporting moment that gave me goosebumps was before the 100m at the London paralympics, when the crowd started chanting Johnny Johnny Johnny for Johnny Peacock. I can't remember anything like it at an athletics event.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Ah the Corintian spirit RA, gotta agree with you there

My favourite is Peter Collins following team protocol (not orders) and giving up his car, and with it HIS chance of being World Drivers Champion, to a driver he considered his senior, Juan Manual Fangio, allowing HIM to become WDC.
    Going back a bit Andy...doesn’t compute with me...a) it’s motor ‘sport’...b) I was about four when he died.
    I hear Lottie Dod and WG Grace had some fine sporting moments too.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    In fact I'd say that bog snorkeling is more of a sport than American Scalextric - what sort of a sport is it when you sit down all the time and depend on technology to win, or lose, it for you? At least rowing or cycling requires manpower rather than mechanical horse power
    .... and he's roaring down the straightaway approaching the left turn, now he's accelerating down the straightaway into a left turn......

Breathe..... repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    One sporting moment that gave me goosebumps was before the 100m at the London paralympics, when the crowd started chanting Johnny Johnny Johnny for Johnny Peacock. I can't remember anything like it at an athletics event.
    the whole four weeks of the Olympics and paralympics the crowds were the 'stars' of the show - sell outs every day even in the morning sessions. Contrast with Athens where the tix were being given away in the streets of Piraeus

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Going back a bit Andy...doesn’t compute with me...a) it’s motor ‘sport’...b) I was about four when he died.
    I hear Lottie Dod and WG Grace had some fine sporting moments too.
    Ha, you old git, I wasn't even three

....but i remember the incident well and thinking, in 60 years time this gesture will be appreciated by some whilst others will sit and stare and wonder what its all about!

Perhaps Sir Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour de France might have gone down as one of these moments until a week or so ago, since when the achievement has become rather tarnished and Mr Bradley Wiggins appears, maybe unfairly, to be just another ginger again!!

My uncle took me to see some motor sport once. Oulton Park in Cheshire...Graham Hill, Jim Clark and Jack Brabham I think. God it was boring...if it had been invented in 1967 I’d have reported him to ‘Childline’.
    My, much older, cousin took me to some motor bike trialing...that was a bit more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I do appreciate the level of technology in cycling, which is hugely pervasive, but you cannot get away from the fact that someone has to pedal them, unlike Scalextric cars which are self powered.

Turning to the Zanardi clip, and no questioning the guy's achievements post crash, but this rather proves my point. He lost both his legs in the crash yet, despite that disability, the car was modified such that his practice times put him in the top 10 for that race. The technology to put him in a position to achieve that must have been exceptional - almost as much as his toughness to achieve it.
    Yes it was modified but I watched it on TV on the day and for five laps he absolutely hammered that car, cheering up a lot of sad and lonely yanks who were still coming to terms with 9/11

And now to my final 'moment' and then I'll b*gger off and do some actual work. I can sense a certain cynicism amongst y'all for motorsport, and although I love it, the fans of the sport are a strange bunch - they are divided and divisive, find it hard to 'celebrate success' and have an unfathomable disdain for the opinions of others. I've only once known the 'community' as a whole come together and celebrate something as one. It was 5th September 2012 and it wasn't even a motor race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/19493510

‘I can sense a certain cynicism amongst y’all for motorsport’...good spot Sherlock!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)