+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OT - The Greatest Sporting Moments (Non-Football)

Let us not forget today's excellent performance by New Zealand bowlers in reducing England to 27-9. Sadly a sparkling last wicket partnership of 31 spoiled the opportunity for England to achieve their lowest ever Test innings score.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Let us not forget today's excellent performance by New Zealand bowlers in reducing England to 27-9. Sadly a sparkling last wicket partnership of 31 spoiled the opportunity for England to achieve their lowest ever Test innings score.
    Indeed, this will go down in history and be talked about in decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just thought of another great moment which is actually the culmination of 5 successive Olympics.

The man, Sir Steve Redgrave.

The sport Rowing.

The achievement, Gold medals at FIVE successive Olympics in an endurance event. An incedible performance.

The achievement looks even more astounding when you consider that he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1992 and in 1997 he was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus type 2.
    True champion and Olympian.

21 years after he lost the title to Ali and at age 46, George Foreman regains the heavyweight title in a major upset and truly one the sport's iconic moments

My favourite jockey of all time, Lester Piggott winning a record 28th Classic - the 1984 St Leger aboard Commanche Run. And holding 2 other great jockeys of the time, Steve Cauthen and Walter Swinburn. Swinburn dies in a freak accident 2years ago aged 55.

A dastardly act. Cornelius Horan, a defrocked priest, attacked race leader, Vanderlei de Lima, who was in sight of victory with 7 km to go. The incident allowed Stefano Baldini and an American to overtake him and secure the top 2 podium places. Nevertheless, de Lima showed great courage to continue and did enough to win the bronze medal. He also was awarded the Baron Pierre de Courbetin Medal for sportsmanship and had the honour of lighting the cauldron at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post

A dastardly act. Cornelius Horan, a defrocked priest, attacked race leader, Vanderlei de Lima, who was in sight of victory with 7 km to go. The incident allowed Stefano Baldini and an American to overtake him and secure the top 2 podium places. Nevertheless, de Lima showed great courage to continue and did enough to win the bronze medal. He also was awarded the Baron Pierre de Courbetin Medal for sportsmanship and had the honour of lighting the cauldron at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
    Here's a brace that show excellence in their respective and very closely linked (one grew from the other) sports. They sit together in a chapter of a book I'm writing , chapter called 'Poetry and prose', I'm sure you can work out which is which.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgisAfjxgs

I'll spare you the 3000 words of bo**ocks I've written for the book, but a bit of trivia about each:

Edwards' try has lasted 45 years as the best try of all time, but it nearly didn't last ten minutes as such - an even better move saw John Bevan tackled right on the try line, and a few minutes later John Dawes touched down a gorgeous move which was disallowed for a forward pass. watch the first 4.54 of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMd7PQavavw

And tell me you've seen better

Like the Edwards try, the Elway 'drive' was 97 yards but of course took way longer in elapsed time. When the Cleveland Browns scored what they thought was the winning touchdown with 37 seconds of gametime left, the team and their fans went bonkers. Apart from two of the Browns' more seasoned players, who just sat silently, in thought. When asked later (in a interview I saw then but can't find now) why they didn't celebrate, one responded that they knew they hadn't won anything while Elway had the ball

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)