+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the Rolling Stones...

Did the Rolling Stones...

once play at Pittodrie?

Told my ma I got tickets to see them in Edinburgh and she mentioned some chaos when tickets went on sale for a Pittodrie gig. She might be getting mixed up with some other artist (she is getting to that age) , I know they played the Capitol in '82. Stories please...

No.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO_86 View Post
    once play at Pittodrie?

Told my ma I got tickets to see them in Edinburgh and she mentioned some chaos when tickets went on sale for a Pittodrie gig. She might be getting mixed up with some other artist (she is getting to that age) , I know they played the Capitol in '82. Stories please...
    Nope.

Only "artists" who have ever played Pittodrie are Rod and Elton.

And The Stones only even played that one gig in Aberdeen, at the Capital. Gig only announced the week before, tix going like gold dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    Nope.

Only "artists" who have ever played Pittodrie are Rod and Elton.

And The Stones only even played that one gig in Aberdeen, at the Capital. Gig only announced the week before, tix going like gold dust.
    The Stones played in Aberdeen in 1964. 5/- (25p) a ticket.

I think they drew 2-2 with Lewis United.

https://scotbeat.wordpress.com/2014/...s-in-aberdeen/
    Last edited by 57vintage; 07-03-2018 at 05:00 PM.

They played the Capitol, what, early 80s?

I mind the cairry on about tickets, as I recall Northsound announced at about 11 o'clock "The Stones are playing the Capitol on *insert date here* and tickets go on sale NOW".

So if you were meandering on Union Street right there and then you were cooking.

I miss the time before t'internet.

1982. The audience was full of corporate liggers with no interest in the band. They seemed merely to need to be there, and be seen there. Tossbags.

The entire Dons squad, who’d crushed the filth 4-1 in the cup final the week before, was in the audience.

I’ve seen the Stones live in 76, 82 and 99, and they’ve never really cut it live, as they should, which is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post

I’ve seen the Stones live in 76, 82 and 99, and they’ve never really cut it live, as they should, which is disappointing.
    You are not the first person ive heard say that. I know a few folk who have seen them and said it wasnt great

I watched their Glastonbury show on the box a few years back and i thought they were slack and all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    You are not the first person ive heard say that. I know a few folk who have seen them and said it wasnt great

I watched their Glastonbury show on the box a few years back and i thought they were slack and all over the place.
    The best live bit was at Murrayfield in 1999, when Charlie's kit moved back on the main stage and this huge beast of a hydraulic bridge emerged from a trapdoor and spanned half the length of the egg-chucking pitch. Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, Chuck Leavell and Darryl Jones walked over it, on to a stage about the size of a boxing ring in the middle and played a short (8 songs?) R&B set like they would have at Klook's Kleek or the Marquee in 63.

I saw them in 1976 at the Apollo.

They were a'right but I deemed them past it auld mannies even back then.

Glasgow was a s'hithole
    The Apollo was a real s'hithole.

Enjoyed the wandering football fans though.

Best bit of the night was getting lost trying to find our minibus and our youth club leader having to ask directions from a lady of the night.
    Egged on by a bunch of 15-16 year old lads.

Same night as we saw them. Bayern v St Ettiene in the unseeded, pot luck draw Proper Mannies’ European Cup final at Hampden. Ronnie Wood announced the score fae the stage. Pubs open until 3am.

The night after Keith blew the 75-76 Heelan League title at Boroughbriggs. Boooooo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast