+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Only Rafa and players can save us

Only Rafa and players can save us

The heading of this thread seems to be a statement of the blindingly obvious but it's clearly not obvious to many of the people who post on this board. What it means is that the time for post mortems and apportionment of blame should be left to the end of the season and the focus should be on what we can do now to avoid relegation not endlessly discussing the past. This is not an attempt to clear Ashley from blame only a statement of fact: whatever his past sins of under-investment, Ashley can't buy any players between now and the end of the season so only Rafa and our current squad can save us.

Another obvious point: to avoid relegation we need to win matches which means scoring goals which means attacking, and putting attacking players on the pitch is not enough if they are used in a defensive role. I know the following will be interpreted as yet another dig at Rafa but these points seem obvious to me:

Don't wait until we're getting beat before playing attacking football

Don't try to defend a 1-0 lead for the rest of the game

If a system isn't working, don't wait until the 80th minute to change it

Don't play a lone striker and don't play Joselu at all. Granted we should have acquired a fit striker in January, for which I don't blame Rafa, but we are where we are. If Gayle isn't fit play Ritchie, or Shelvey if fit, or even Diame or Perez as a striker but not Joselu. He freezes when he nears the goal.

I expect yet another torrent of posts saying it's all Ashley's fault for years of under-investment but the point I'm trying to make is that this diagnosis doesn't help with the immediate problem of avoiding relegation. The existing squad has to be motivated to go out and at least try to win games. What would be unforgivable would be to go down without giving it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    The heading of this thread seems to be a statement of the blindingly obvious but it's clearly not obvious to many of the people who post on this board. What it means is that the time for post mortems and apportionment of blame should be left to the end of the season and the focus should be on what we can do now to avoid relegation not endlessly discussing the past. This is not an attempt to clear Ashley from blame only a statement of fact: whatever his past sins of under-investment, Ashley can't buy any players between now and the end of the season so only Rafa and our current squad can save us.
    This is true. Spilt milk will stay spilt so we have to mop it up and move on.

Another obvious point: to avoid relegation we need to win matches which means scoring goals which means attacking, and putting attacking players on the pitch is not enough if they are used in a defensive role. I know the following will be interpreted as yet another dig at Rafa but these points seem obvious to me:
    But it's correct.
    If attacking players get put on the pitch, then use them for purpose.

Don't wait until we're getting beat before playing attacking football
    And sometimes he doesn't even do that...especially in the second half.

Don't try to defend a 1-0 lead for the rest of the game
    Or a 2-0 lead.

If a system isn't working, don't wait until the 80th minute to change it
    And even then the system generally doesn't get changed in any offensive manner.

Don't play a lone striker and don't play Joselu at all. Granted we should have acquired a fit striker in January, for which I don't blame Rafa, but we are where we are. If Gayle isn't fit play Ritchie, or Shelvey if fit, or even Diame or Perez as a striker but not Joselu. He freezes when he nears the goal.
    In a normal world when you're chasing a game it should be sensible to put on a player that can use pace against a tiring outfit. we tend to simply use anyone that can fit the criteria of a defensive forward.

I expect yet another torrent of posts saying it's all Ashley's fault for years of under-investment but the point I'm trying to make is that this diagnosis doesn't help with the immediate problem of avoiding relegation.
    The existing squad has to be motivated to go out and at least try to win games. What would be unforgivable would be to go down without giving it a go.
    That's all we can ask for. 90 minutes plus of having a go, because the name of the game is to score more than your opponent, no matter what and we certainly won't do much of that by being scared and under motivated in a forward sense...but we need to start.

Comedy Gold talking to himself again

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_KPGYKrfo

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)