+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purrington?

Purrington?

Is he being pushed out, does he want to leave Or is Warney just being too nice (play well keep shirt even if it’s not your usual position)

Just wondering why Purrington wasn’t picked when Mattock was out (natural L then still being kept out by Ihiekwe

Yes Ihiekwe might have done ok but why wouldn’t you use your LB?

The jury's out for me as far as Purrington is concerned. Although he was signed when Warne was caretaker manager it appears the decision was made on the recommendation of Jamie Johnson.
    Warne likes his full backs to get forward and that doesn't seem to be a natural part of Ben's game. Also his fitness appears to be questionable and he struggles to last the pace for 90 minutes.
    I want our young players to succeed but Ben has a lot of ground to make up to become a regular in the squad.
    I expect a decision on his future will be made one way or another in the summer.

I think he will be sent home to Peru with some marmalade sandwiches

Sent home to Peru

He played int week for the reserves. When he got fit after his injury Mattock started playing well and he shouldn't take the place from Mattock. If he plays well when needed it'll be interesting to see whether Mattock gets his shirt back straight away

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Sent home to Peru

He played int week for the reserves. When he got fit after his injury Mattock started playing well and he shouldn't take the place from Mattock. If he plays well when needed it'll be interesting to see whether Mattock gets his shirt back straight away

For the reserves in midweek Purrington had a good game at left back. In my view he had a better game than Yates had playing as striker. But Yates appears to be “liked by management” more than Purrington does

Squarish peg in roundish hole?

IMO Purrington is slow at coming forward and supporting down the left whereas Mattock is very comfortable doing just that and is one of the provides excellent balls into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    For the reserves in midweek Purrington had a good game at left back. In my view he had a better game than Yates had playing as striker. But Yates appears to be “liked by management” more than Purrington does

Squarish peg in roundish hole?
    I wonder if he was a choice of the man with the computer programme. Was Purrington on top of the list of players to invest due to his stats? we'll not know but if he keeps it up then we have 2 good left backs. Without Purrington Mattock was just strolling through games.

I like Purrington (well on what I’ve seen) thought is defending was good but he didn’t get forward enough and that could well be his downfall under Warney unless he sorts that out.

Defending and not getting forward, is that a bad thing?

I’d say in Championship maybe Purrington would do a good solid defensive job in staying back and leaving some in midfield to do their job
    Last edited by millertop; 08-03-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I like Purrington (well on what I’ve seen) thought is defending was good but he didn’t get forward enough and that could well be his downfall under Warney unless he sorts that out.

Defending and not getting forward, is that a bad thing?

I’d say in Championship maybe Purrington would do a good solid defensive job in staying back and leaving some in midfield to do their job
    Defending and not getting forward is a bad thing if that's what the manager wants you to do, which Warne clearly does.
    The question is why can't he get forward? It may be a fitness issue because he seems to struggle to last 90 minutes.

I agree with millertop. Eeek 😂 Plus when purrington was in the team early in the season it was a out of form Newell or Taylor who was sat in front of him.
    When Taylor plays infront of you you don't have chance to overlap.. also agree, two decent league 1 left backs we have..
    Imo purrington will be a better FB long term especially in the championship

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast