+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: OT: Guaranteeing Public safety - who do you think your kidding?

I see two possible narratives here, both plausible.

1) Russia did it and did so in so obvious a fashion as to send a warning to all of their agents not to double cross Russia in the future as this will be their fate. In light of all the investigations into Trump's alleged collusion with Russia in securing an election victory (by simply making the Dem's own words public, funding his campaign, and/or using social media to discredit the Dems) it is of strategic importance to ensure that spies remain loyal. Getting Britain and possibly the EU wound up and considering counter measures (increased Nato presence in Eastern Europe, increased arms sales to Ukraine, increased interference in Syria, expulsion of ambassadors, retraction of RT news in the uk, etc) is a worthwhile price to pay to help (no guarantees!) Trump remain in office for another 2 years, possibly 6.

2) It is in a particular states interest to make it appear as if Russia is the culprit. What would they hope to achieve? Same as the list above: increased Nato presence in Eastern Europe, increased arms sales to the Ukraine, increased interference in Syria, expulsion of ambassadors, retraction of RT news in the uk. Add to that an attempt to further 'expose' Trump circumstantially as a Putin puppet. In this narrative it could be a number of actors who would be interested in securing these results - elements of the CIA and/or MI6, Ukrainian agents hoping to gain increased support in their civil war, or even Israel (Russia is throwing a monkey wrench into their middle-east designs). What would be the cost for any of these agents engaging in such a tactic? If they don't get caught, nothing at all. If they DO get caught... hmmm, would Therressa May call out the CIA, her own intelligence agency, the Israeli or Ukrainian governments? I can't be certain, but I suspect she might stick with the 'Russia did it' narrative even if she knew otherwise. Besides, could she really be exposing any of these groups at a time when her 'communist' opposition is currently polling higher than her own party? I have doubts, especially when it may circumstantially assist her re-election efforts to paint Russia as a real threat in a renewed cold war and further solidify her support for programs like Trident - an example of one issue among many that separates her from Corbyn.

With no evidence at hand to the public and little choice but to either accept or reject what our masters tell us, either narrative seems plausible to this footy fan.
    Last edited by andy6025; 14-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Cob Corbyn would agree with you.
    Are you really this stupid or did you just bunk off when it was comprehension practice at school?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Your words not mine.
    Ever heard of irony?

I've heard of Steely Dan.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910