+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens in Blackpool stays in Blackpool.....

What happens in Blackpool stays in Blackpool.....

...well it is the poor man's Las Vegas but what happened to the Millers there? Prior to the win in early December we were shipping almost 2.5 goals per game, had slumped to 13th in the league and were knocked out of two cup competitions by teams now staring at non-league football next season. Since then we haven't lost, are up to fourth and have only conceded 9 goals in 14 games.

So what happened? Was it all spurred on by the KM sending off at Bristol Rovers and a forced change in playing style? Was it down to PW ignoring the sage advice given by gwru and building a defensive unit around Wood? Did team morale benefit from viewing all those saucy postcards? Did we smuggle Grist's longed for defence coach back to Rotherham on the team bus?

Warne has been ignoring gwru? Strip him of his MoM award!!!

I wasn't at the Blackpool game and have just checked our team sheet for the game. It was a rather makeshift line up with Moore suspended, Potter out injured from the previous game (hasn't played since) and Frecklington out injured too. JCH started (don't tell gwru) and Mattock played in midfield (or did we play a 3-5-2 formation? Somebody will know). Possibly more significantly, Emmanuel returned from injury to replace Cummings.

The victorious Millers team was (unusually for Warney) changed for the next game, reverting to our "normal" back four, and with Yates replacing JCH. We drew 1-1 with Plymouth at home...but Wood was sent off, so we had more changes for the game after that , with Vaulks at centre back and Frecklington returning in midfield (Won 2-1 v Franchise)

Make of that what you will...
    Last edited by mikemiller; 07-03-2018 at 09:11 AM.

I think KM getting sent off was a turning point in our season. Teams had figured us and him out and our long-ball way of playing to him wasn't working anymore. Plus as soon as he knew he wouldn't be with us for the rest of the season his form dropped massively.

I think there are other contributions to our unbeaten run such as a much younger team (no frecks, potter etc), changing to having all attacking players from midfield up and I actually think Smith was a really clever signing in Jan by Warne. Everyone laughed at us, but he has been my MOTM for several games since he came to us- we wouldn't have signed him if we still had KM and even though he hasn't scored as many goals I personally think he is a better all round player for us

However no KM meant a change in team, tactics and signings and for me personally that was the turning point in the season

The performance at Blackpool was actually one of the worst of the whole season particularly in the first half. We were awful
    There were two turning points in the second half. One was when Blackpool missed a sitter to go two up. Their striker was about 15yds out, centre of pen area and no one near him. He scuffed it and i think Rodak saved easily.
    Second turning point was Warney's substitutions.
    Both of these events breathed life into the team and confidence grew. Quality was still ropey but we did enough to win against a very poor side who caved in.
    Fortunately the performances improved dramatically since the Blackpool match

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    The performance at Blackpool was actually one of the worst of the whole season particularly in the first half. We were awful
    There were two turning points in the second half. One was when Blackpool missed a sitter to go two up.
    Second turning point was Warney's substitutions.
    Both of these events breathed life into the team and confidence grew. Quality was still ropey but we did enough to win against a very poor side who caved in.
    Subs were Yates, Forde and Cummings. JCH never made another appearance in the Millers starting line-up after that game - might be significant...
    By the way - did we set off in 3-5-2 formation, or was it 4-4-2 with Mattock on the wing?
    Last edited by mikemiller; 07-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.

We had our honeymoon in Blackpool. Ufortunately she didn't stay in Blackpool

Yes 3 at the back. It didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    We had our honeymoon in Blackpool. Ufortunately she didn't stay in Blackpool
    Should have done an “Alan Bradley”

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Should have done an “Alan Bradley”
    I did, but she derailed the tram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast