+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts v FGR away

Thoughts v FGR away

Superb first half of FOOTball.......yes, we must have played it from the back and through the midfield a dozen times.....Collin has rolled the ball out to the new guy at least 5 times, he calmly puts his foot on it and picks a pass....it is weird to watch a team totally change the gameplan.

Toots is awesome, Dicko ok....FGR have had only one long range shot that Collin fumbled and Toots mopped up.

Our goal was a huge penno shout from quite a few Notts fans around the iFollow camera, ref waved play on...so the immense Noble calmly slammed home....queue some great Notts celebrations.

Grant is in acres of space on the left, Hewey had a glorious chance palmed around the post on 5 minutes, Stead and Aless are running the channels and chasing back.

Great game....we need another to calm my nerves but so far so good.....RIP hoofball

Second half....ohh dear, I thought we had thrown this away after a pretty comfortable first. Stead went down for what looked like a penalty, his shirt was definitely being pulled with the ball at his feet....Grant was still in acres of space down the left and Hawk was quiet but effective on the right..... when we suddenly decided to change the formation, no idea why.....Hawk went off, Aless moved from centre to right wing and Virtue took up a central role on the shoulder of Stead...our free kick in their half, ball falls to their guy on our right wing who runs the full length of the pitch with 3 Notts players chasing him....disaster, crosses it into the box for Campbell to score at the post, he ignores his own fans and comes over to the Notts fans to wind them up....weird
    A few minutes later we are suddenly on the ropes as they are flooding through midfield and absolutely smash one into the crossbar, bounces back and hits Collin and nestles in a muddy patch.....bizarre.
    I honestly thought we were going to lose the game before a great bit of build up play involving Stead, Grant and Aless fed Toots of all people on the edge of the box.....low and hard, keeper got fingers onto the shot but it went in......PHEW

We hung on a bit at the end, Virtue had one great chance to put me out of my agony, the new boy at the back took a wack to the face and came off....Bris looked solid......Shola came on for a knackered Stead who had chased literally everything, but never got into the game.

Summary, a game of two halves.....Notts were definitely the best team for the first 45 minutes, after we brought on Virtue we suddenly looked shaky, let in one goal, almost two....recovered nicely with a superb winner.

ps Dodgy Slug impression Toots.....needs more work lad.....great goal

My thoughts are that it is an excellent and much needed 3 points on the road at last, just what we needed before facing the inbreds next week. Also excellent support, full credit to each and every one of the 711 fans who made the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Superb first half of FOOTball.......yes, we must have played it from the back and through the midfield a dozen times.....Collin has rolled the ball out to the new guy at least 5 times, he calmly puts his foot on it and picks a pass....it is weird to watch a team totally change the gameplan.

Toots is awesome, Dicko ok....FGR have had only one long range shot that Collin fumbled and Toots mopped up.

Our goal was a huge penno shout from quite a few Notts fans around the iFollow camera, ref waved play on...so the immense Noble calmly slammed home....queue some great Notts celebrations.

Grant is in acres of space on the left, Hewey had a glorious chance palmed around the post on 5 minutes, Stead and Aless are running the channels and chasing back.

Great game....we need another to calm my nerves but so far so good.....RIP hoofball

Second half....ohh dear, I thought we had thrown this away after a pretty comfortable first. Stead went down for what looked like a penalty, his shirt was definitely being pulled with the ball at his feet....Grant was still in acres of space down the left and Hawk was quiet but effective on the right..... when we suddenly decided to change the formation, no idea why.....Hawk went off, Aless moved from centre to right wing and Virtue took up a central role on the shoulder of Stead...our free kick in their half, ball falls to their guy on our right wing who runs the full length of the pitch with 3 Notts players chasing him....disaster, crosses it into the box for Campbell to score at the post, he ignores his own fans and comes over to the Notts fans to wind them up....weird
    A few minutes later we are suddenly on the ropes as they are flooding through midfield and absolutely smash one into the crossbar, bounces back and hits Collin and nestles in a muddy patch.....bizarre.
    I honestly thought we were going to lose the game before a great bit of build up play involving Stead, Grant and Aless fed Toots of all people on the edge of the box.....low and hard, keeper got fingers onto the shot but it went in......PHEW

We hung on a bit at the end, Virtue had one great chance to put me out of my agony, the new boy at the back took a wack to the face and came off....Bris looked solid......Shola came on for a knackered Stead who had chased literally everything, but never got into the game.

Summary, a game of two halves.....Notts were definitely the best team for the first 45 minutes, after we brought on Virtue we suddenly looked shaky, let in one goal, almost two....recovered nicely with a superb winner.

It sounded like a game of two halves, listening on the radio. Another one where we perhaps should have put the game to bed by half time, but instead went in with just the one goal lead, and from decades watching Notts, I know that a one goal lead is never enough. It seems the luck may have returned in our favour (let's hope not temporarily) as we could have quite easily lost this one, but some good fortune returned when they hit the bar, the ball struck the keeper and didn't go in off.

If we beat the Slags next week, I'll be a happy man... and a victory against them is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    If we beat the Slags next week, I'll be a happy man... and a victory against them is long overdue.
    I think 'long overdue' is an understatement! It really gets to me how we seem to save our worst performances of the season for when we play them just when we need it most. They've never looked particularly impressive against us, but we seem to hit the self destruct button and gift them the points without really making them earn them. Looking at Stagsnet tonight they seem in despair, with "Completely and utterly disappointing. Barely strung 4 or 5 passes together all game and it looks like the managerial change has knocked us for 6" being a typical comment. I think it will be down to who wants it more next week, and in the past that's been them rather than us. We know there will be 4,000+ 'diehard' Stags fans in the JS next week (although it will be the only game of the season for many of them who would struggle to name two Mansfield players if you asked them). It's about time we stood up to be counted and left them feeling that numb feeling we've felt on the short journey home.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post

I listened to the first half and it sounded an awful match mate but I suppose awful could be seen as an improvement on recent away performances! Great 3 points though.

ps, My lads game got called off at 9 this morning so I asked him if he wanted to go , " no " . Not sure if he's had enough of Notts or the M5 recently! Great turn out today by the fans , I never imagined so many would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think 'long overdue' is an understatement! It really gets to me how we seem to save our worst performances of the season for when we play them just when we need it most. They've never looked particularly impressive against us, but we seem to hit the self destruct button and gift them the points without really making them earn them. Looking at Stagsnet tonight they seem in despair, with "Completely and utterly disappointing. Barely strung 4 or 5 passes together all game and it looks like the managerial change has knocked us for 6" being a typical comment. I think it will be down to who wants it more next week, and in the past that's been them rather than us. We know there will be 4,000+ 'diehard' Stags fans in the JS next week (although it will be the only game of the season for many of them who would struggle to name two Mansfield players if you asked them). It's about time we stood up to be counted and left them feeling that numb feeling we've felt on the short journey home.
    It's a short journey for us but a long one for them.

Just seen the goals. Loved Noble's celebration , none of the usual head down rubbish against a former club. Brings me onto Tav Campbell , didn't look like he could hit a ships behind when he played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    It's a short journey for us but a long one for them.
    Aye - one of several eons and back to home games at Jurassic Park.

Just got back to London from the match.

The first thing I'd like to mention is I was well impressed with our away support. I went with a mate (not a Notts fan) who lives in Reading and as we approached I offhandedly mentioned that I expected only a hundred or so Notts fans. Instead we packed the terrace along one side of the pitch. I also expected it to piss rain on us in the uncovered terrace but shortly after kick off the skies cleared and the sun came out.

And now for the football. The first half was almost all Notts, but that said, we played a hell of a lot of hoofball. While we did manage to create a few chances from the long ball, our best asset was that FG created almost nothing at all.

Our first goal was a very confusing affair. One of our players (Stead?) went down in their box and hands were all up calling for a penalty. It appeared to me as if play had stopped and players were starting to surround the ref but then suddenly the ball was in the net. Did that count? What just happened? Yes, apparently we scored.

Second half FG were hungry and we weren't matching their pace. They scored one and then almost followed it fast with another - Campbell struck it off the bar. And then we picked up the pace and it became a really good game of football with some end to end action. We almost gave it away a few times as well as took our own chances. Even though we were the stronger team in the first half, this was far more entertaining.

Our second goal was very well taken - you could feel it coming in the set up. FG tried to pressure after that and it felt a bit tense but we hung on well.

It wasn't a pretty game. A draw wouldn't have been an outlandish result, but nor was it a crime for us to take all 3. MoM for me was Tootle particularly for an excellent challenge on a FG player that saw Tootle go to ground but keep the ball and then get up and charge half way down the field with it. Most players put in a solid effort, but I will say that we were lacking in creativity.

The refereeing was terrible. As bad tackles and rough housing went unpunished the game started to get away from him as players took it as license to go further. An incident in midfield during the second half should have seen a FG player get sent off. He literally picked up one of our players off the ground and flipped him over in full view if the referee.

All in all it was a fun day out and well worth the journey. Well done Notts on getting the 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    Just got back to London from the match.

The first thing I'd like to mention is I was well impressed with our away support. I went with a mate (not a Notts fan) who lives in Reading and as we approached I offhandedly mentioned that I expected only a hundred or so Notts fans. Instead we packed the terrace along one side of the pitch. I also expected it to piss rain on us in the uncovered terrace but shortly after kick off the skies cleared and the sun came out.

And now for the football. The first half was almost all Notts, but that said, we played a hell of a lot of hoofball. While we did manage to create a few chances from the long ball, our best asset was that FG created almost nothing at all.

Our first goal was a very confusing affair. One of our players (Stead?) went down in their box and hands were all up calling for a penalty. It appeared to me as if play had stopped and players were starting to surround the ref but then suddenly the ball was in the net. Did that count? What just happened? Yes, apparently we scored.

Second half FG were hungry and we weren't matching their pace. They scored one and then almost followed it fast with another - Campbell struck it off the bar. And then we picked up the pace and it became a really good game of football with some end to end action. We almost gave it away a few times as well as took our own chances. Even though we were the stronger team in the first half, this was far more entertaining.

Our second goal was very well taken - you could feel it coming in the set up. FG tried to pressure after that and it felt a bit tense but we hung on well.

It wasn't a pretty game. A draw wouldn't have been an outlandish result, but nor was it a crime for us to take all 3. MoM for me was Tootle particularly for an excellent challenge on a FG player that saw Tootle go to ground but keep the ball and then get up and charge half way down the field with it. Most players put in a solid effort, but I will say that we were lacking in creativity.

The refereeing was terrible. As bad tackles and rough housing went unpunished the game started to get away from him as players took it as license to go further. An incident in midfield during the second half should have seen a FG player get sent off. He literally picked up one of our players off the ground and flipped him over in full view if the referee.

All in all it was a fun day out and well worth the journey. Well done Notts on getting the 3 points.
    Cheers Andy. A good read and great to get a view from the terraces!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast