Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I've heard all this stuff before about defence defence defence.
I'm telling you right now that something has went truly wrong .
Why?
Because never in all my time as a Newcastle United fan and supporter have I came across a mass of fans that actually champion a defensive mindset. I just haven't.
It's not up for argument. Just take what I say as my observations in life as a fan of this club.

The general consensus was to be up in arms if the team played too defensively.
The general acceptance is of a team that tries (ticks box) and a team that will attempt to score more goals than the opposition. This does not mean we have to score 7 because they wills core 6.

It simply means what it means. We score 1 and make sure they don't score.
We score 3 and make sure they don't score...or at least not more than 2.
And so on. It's called playing football how it should be played...not a chess game or a game of 10 men behind the ball because we fear you, attitude.

Rafa's proved he can change it up against anyone if he wants to.
No way in the world will I accept any fan coming up to me too many times and saying " ohhh the games are so dire...so so dire....but at least we managed to scrape a draw."

Defence is one thing but entire ground covering team work from back to front and front to back, as and when possible, is the key to creating a decent work ethic than can reap all rewards, no matter how small...and I class entertainment into that as a need and a given...not as some kind of unexpected luxury.
Read posts 9 and 10 then Ghost. Rafa's attempts to sign a decent striker have been long thwarted by Fatso so all he can do is establish as strong a defence as possible and work with what he has left for midfield and attack.

You must admit that getting Kenedy and Slimani in were a masterstroke and should pay huge dividends.

We can only imagine how superior a position we would be in if Rafa had the backing of a decent ambitious owner.