+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Defence

Our Defence

has only conceded 40 goals this season. Only bettered by Citeh, Manure, Liverpool, Spuds, Chelski and Burnley and we have conceded less than Arsenal.

Just an honest stat to let the detractors of Rafa's defensive work get their teeth into.

Yeh but that means nothing because we sat back and we're ultra defensive against City and Liverpool. . . everybody knows we should of gone gung-ho attack against them

A good stat and does show the work that is being done.

But we have only scored 30 so there lies the problem. Let in more goals than you score and you are up the creek without a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMag View Post
    But we have only scored 30 so there lies the problem. Let in more goals than you score and you are up the creek without a paddle.
    Oh 100%. Which is why Rafa wanted a striker in the summer and yet ended up with Joselu.

But Pat's point still stands that our defence has actually been pretty solid and when we have lost we've at least not been tonked, hence our goal difference being only -10 at minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Oh 100%. Which is why Rafa wanted a striker in the summer and yet ended up with Joselu.

But Pat's point still stands that our defence has actually been pretty solid and when we have lost we've at least not been tonked, hence our goal difference being only -10 at minute.
    That's my point Jammy. Our defence has improved,yes, but if we do not produce goals at the other end it means little.

Rafa has done a great job with the material he has and that -10 goal difference is far superior to most of our competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMag View Post
    That's my point Jammy. Our defence has improved,yes, but if we do not produce goals at the other end it means little.

Rafa has done a great job with the material he has and that -10 goal difference is far superior to most of our competitors.
    So i think we're agreeing from different angles?

If you can keep clean sheets you're always in with a chance of nicking or fluking a goal to take three points, so getting the defence sorted is always the priority at any club. It's the difference between Man City this season and Man City last season, much more than the goals they're scoring. In fact, I think they're only scoring more this season because they've got a more solid foundation to work off. For us, we just need a little bit more quality in the final third - strikers who have pace, stamina and can read the game to run into the space behind the defence so that they fit Rafa's approach. I think if it's Aguero and Salah picking up the ball in the final third instead of Gayle and Joselu/Ayoze, we get 20 more goals a season. You only have to look at the last match and see the chances Gayle squandered - 2 golden opportunities where his touch or his shooting/decision-making let him down (and he actually had a good game by the standards we set ourselves). With some added quality, we will pick up points much more easily.

I've heard all this stuff before about defence defence defence.
    I'm telling you right now that something has went truly wrong .
    Why?
    Because never in all my time as a Newcastle United fan and supporter have I came across a mass of fans that actually champion a defensive mindset. I just haven't.
    It's not up for argument. Just take what I say as my observations in life as a fan of this club.

The general consensus was to be up in arms if the team played too defensively.
    The general acceptance is of a team that tries (ticks box) and a team that will attempt to score more goals than the opposition. This does not mean we have to score 7 because they wills core 6.

It simply means what it means. We score 1 and make sure they don't score.
    We score 3 and make sure they don't score...or at least not more than 2.
    And so on. It's called playing football how it should be played...not a chess game or a game of 10 men behind the ball because we fear you, attitude.

Rafa's proved he can change it up against anyone if he wants to.
    No way in the world will I accept any fan coming up to me too many times and saying " ohhh the games are so dire...so so dire....but at least we managed to scrape a draw."

Defence is one thing but entire ground covering team work from back to front and front to back, as and when possible, is the key to creating a decent work ethic than can reap all rewards, no matter how small...and I class entertainment into that as a need and a given...not as some kind of unexpected luxury.

Andy weve known for a very long time that a proven goalscorer or even 2 were an absolute must,but we never managed to "get them over the line" again.If we do stay up then this needs to be sorted in the summer. Once again we will all be saying, im sure, that we need to sign a proven striker, but will we?or will we have the same fiasco weve had at every window. We have to hope the the fat controller eventually sees sense, and gets outa town. If this doesn't happen, Rafa leaves, and we are well and truly shafted.

staying up this season was our main target.

to achieve this, due to the lack of attacking options we had / have a solid defence was absolutely paramount.

we needed a new goalkeeper before the season started and didn't get one, Dummett and lascelles both had lengthy injuries, so.quite obviously performances suffered.

since Dummett and lascelles both returned we have looked absolutely solid at the back.
    we also have a new goalkeeper and performances (surprise surprise) are improving.

Rafa also tried to sign kenedy in the summer, he has made a big difference, low and behold we are attacking more (fancy that?).

what a pity we couldn't sign the striker he wanted.

so Rafa concentrates on his squad strengths and creates a solid foundation, meaning only two or three changes are required to move on next season....

well done to our new solid defence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)