+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Defence

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I've heard all this stuff before about defence defence defence.
    I'm telling you right now that something has went truly wrong .
    Why?
    Because never in all my time as a Newcastle United fan and supporter have I came across a mass of fans that actually champion a defensive mindset. I just haven't.
    It's not up for argument. Just take what I say as my observations in life as a fan of this club.

The general consensus was to be up in arms if the team played too defensively.
    The general acceptance is of a team that tries (ticks box) and a team that will attempt to score more goals than the opposition. This does not mean we have to score 7 because they wills core 6.

It simply means what it means. We score 1 and make sure they don't score.
    We score 3 and make sure they don't score...or at least not more than 2.
    And so on. It's called playing football how it should be played...not a chess game or a game of 10 men behind the ball because we fear you, attitude.

Rafa's proved he can change it up against anyone if he wants to.
    No way in the world will I accept any fan coming up to me too many times and saying " ohhh the games are so dire...so so dire....but at least we managed to scrape a draw."

Defence is one thing but entire ground covering team work from back to front and front to back, as and when possible, is the key to creating a decent work ethic than can reap all rewards, no matter how small...and I class entertainment into that as a need and a given...not as some kind of unexpected luxury.
    Read posts 9 and 10 then Ghost. Rafa's attempts to sign a decent striker have been long thwarted by Fatso so all he can do is establish as strong a defence as possible and work with what he has left for midfield and attack.

You must admit that getting Kenedy and Slimani in were a masterstroke and should pay huge dividends.

We can only imagine how superior a position we would be in if Rafa had the backing of a decent ambitious owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I've heard all this stuff before about defence defence defence.
    I'm telling you right now that something has went truly wrong .
    Why?
    Because never in all my time as a Newcastle United fan and supporter have I came across a mass of fans that actually champion a defensive mindset. I just haven't.
    It's not up for argument. Just take what I say as my observations in life as a fan of this club.

The general consensus was to be up in arms if the team played too defensively.
    The general acceptance is of a team that tries (ticks box) and a team that will attempt to score more goals than the opposition. This does not mean we have to score 7 because they wills core 6.

It simply means what it means. We score 1 and make sure they don't score.
    We score 3 and make sure they don't score...or at least not more than 2.
    And so on. It's called playing football how it should be played...not a chess game or a game of 10 men behind the ball because we fear you, attitude.

Rafa's proved he can change it up against anyone if he wants to.
    No way in the world will I accept any fan coming up to me too many times and saying " ohhh the games are so dire...so so dire....but at least we managed to scrape a draw."

Defence is one thing but entire ground covering team work from back to front and front to back, as and when possible, is the key to creating a decent work ethic than can reap all rewards, no matter how small...and I class entertainment into that as a need and a given...not as some kind of unexpected luxury.
    I am being thoroughly entertained at the minute because Rafa has put our defence right and we are now much more comfortable going forward which the last few games have showed us. I am thrilled that every game we go into we have a chance of winning. Many games as of late have not been dire at all. At all. You keep going on about this defensive approach, but our approach isn't different from many other teams around us with around the same amount of points as ourselves.

Even from a critic like yourself - and it's only fair that you stick to your opinions - you must see that we've improved this season, especially after Kenedy and Dubravka have come in, and that we're trying to win the games by playing sensibly and balanced. Certainly there's a focus on not letting goals in - and why on earth wouldn't there be?

not a bad record despite most call them chimpo players

cant have it both ways can you ??

Goal difference could be a big decider for relegation.For instance WBA are 8 points from being safe but because of others having a better GD,as things stand they would need 9 points to be safe if the season ended tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    not a bad record despite most call them chimpo players

cant have it both ways can you ??
    But a bad record according to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Read posts 9 and 10 then Ghost. Rafa's attempts to sign a decent striker have been long thwarted by Fatso so all he can do is establish as strong a defence as possible and work with what he has left for midfield and attack.

You must admit that getting Kenedy and Slimani in were a masterstroke and should pay huge dividends.

We can only imagine how superior a position we would be in if Rafa had the backing of a decent ambitious owner.
    Rafa's attempts to buy a decent striker that simply doesn't get named by all those who say he was thwarted.
    Or are you on about Jorgensen for the 20 million being asked?
    Or was it the strikers at the start of the season which made him sign Joselu? If so, name the strikers.

As for Kenedy and Slimani being a masterstroke. I certainly don't see it that way.
    I'd say Kenedy is a very good loan signing but Slimani cannot be considered anything other than a flop and a waste of time and effort unless he produces something of clear note.

I genuinely hope he does and doesn't end up like Doumbia. Basically an enigma.

As for imagining how superior a position we would/could be in, is all pie in the sky.
    To be totally honest, I think Rafa could have set us up much better to take the game to many teams and done it with what he had at his disposal.

However, we can sit and argue this till the cows come home and never be able to physically prove anything.
    I think Rafa could have produced a lot more with what he had.

I believe a lot of players games were stifled.
    Mass opinion can carry a lot of wrongs that can be viewed as rights. Minority opinions will always be deemed to be wrong and against the grain for some kind of deliberate reasons, which on the whole is far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    I am being thoroughly entertained at the minute because Rafa has put our defence right and we are now much more comfortable going forward which the last few games have showed us.
    We could have always been comfortable going forward. We've proved in in many games this season in large proportions of the FIRST half of games and believe it or not, I enjoy them...but guess what?....we do not keep it up. It's as if we're the kid that throws stone at the big bad man for as long as we can get away with it but when we get chased we stay chased.

Basically a good promising game turns to a dire and baffling end.
    The biggest irritants after this are the sheer dire tactics against the better teams.

I am thrilled that every game we go into we have a chance of winning.
    I disagree.
    Not every game.
    If I thought that was the case I'd be in acceptance.
    A lot of games we go into we go into trying not to lose or trying to keep the score to a minimum against us.

Sometimes lady luck shines and we manage a win or a draw even though we've been battered.

Many games as of late have not been dire at all. At all.
    As of late they haven't been dire...you're right. It's never been too pretty but we still had a go throughout, as well as the usual defending.

You keep going on about this defensive approach, but our approach isn't different from many other teams around us with around the same amount of points as ourselves.
    People are arguing that we've been like that all season but we clearly have not or I wouldn't even be moaning on about stuff.
    As for other teams around us...I'm not interested in what they do, unless it's against us.
    We can argue this time and time again and we'll rarely agree...but each their own. It's what makes forums what they are and banter what it is, whether it's social media or in the pub, etc.

Even from a critic like yourself - and it's only fair that you stick to your opinions - you must see that we've improved this season, especially after Kenedy and Dubravka have come in, and that we're trying to win the games by playing sensibly and balanced. Certainly there's a focus on not letting goals in - and why on earth wouldn't there be?
    I do see a bit more offensive guile and confidence and do see a bit more of a balanced effort in the second halves of some games.
    I just think we could do better and kill games off and have been comfortable long before now.

However...even I would have accepted 17th and still would as long as we have a go throughout.
    I'm still waiting for a Rafa revert to Mr baffle but sincerely hoping that he is learning that this squad is far better than people give it credit for, with and without the add on loans.

A good plan B would also go a long way into helping me accept Rafa.
    As it stands I'm happy we are out of the relegation mire but I'm still not happy with how Rafa goes on.

Just my personal opinion and the opinion of a fan that wants Newcastle United at the top rather than having to whine about what goes on.

It's not too far off from people always blaming Ashley for everything when things don't go right, rather than looking at the issue at hand...just like when we appear to do well, it's all down to the Rafa genius and nothing else, I get told.

I reject that as much as people reject what I say.
    Teet for tat?....Of course...but it's a natural teet for tat and not a deliberate teet for tat just for the hell of it.
    People know my stance. Accept it or don't...but there it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)