+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever been to a Millers game that was subsequently expunged

Ever been to a Millers game that was subsequently expunged

from the league records?
    I've been to one... there may have been two in that particular season. Quite difficult to track down the details, as they have been expunged!

Yes, it happened when Aldershot resigned halfway through the season 91/92 and all results were expunged. So anyone completing the double over them before they left were deducted 4 points.

I was at the Aldershot away game that season, when I was living darn sarf, finished 3-0 to us. Seem to remember Tony Cunningham & Don Page up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Yes, it happened when Aldershot resigned halfway through the season 91/92 and all results were expunged. So anyone completing the double over them before they left were deducted 4 points.
    Yes, that's the team and season that I was thinking of... . I don't think that I was able to get to the home game (anybody know the score?), but I went to Aldershot for the return fixture. I think that it was fairly late in the season. We won 1-0 with a great 25-yard belter from Mark Todd, which sadly is now not on official Football League records.

The season had a happy ending for us though - we still finished runners-up in the old Division 4 (with Phil Henson as manager) and were promoted. Burnley finished top - whatever happened to them?

I went to that Aldershot away match as well but I thought it was 89 /90.
    There was a 7ft Millers fan next to me who gave me a bear hug for the goal and I've still got the bruised ribs.
    It affected us that season because i think we beat them 6-0 at home so we had 6 points (or was it 4 points in those days) and +7 goals removed from our tally. I think we still went up though

I also went to a minor cup competition at Millmoor that was abandoned due to fog. I suppose it was just replayed at a later date
    Last edited by flourbasher; 11-03-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Definitely two points for a win, and definitely 1991/2 (I've checked ).... It also had a sort of happy ending for Aldershot (now Town) eventually. They got back into the league, playing at their original ground, although they have recently been relegated to the National league

Cunningham and Page were our main strikers at the time probably played in those expunged games too. Legend had it that Cunningham had some clause in his contract which said that, if fit, he was automatically chosen for the first team. (I've no idea if that rumour was true). If I can find the programme I will check who played in the away game.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-03-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    I was at the Aldershot away game that season, when I was living darn sarf, finished 3-0 to us. Seem to remember Tony Cunningham & Don Page up front.
    Actually Perigord I think the score was 1-0 at the away game with Todd scoring. We won the home game 2-0 with Goodwin and Cunningham scoring. Shades of yesterday's unbeaten run going down the toilet, we actually won 2-1 at Burnley that season, their first defeat for 17 matches.

I have been to heaps that I wish were.

You're a Millers fan, of course you have.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    I have been to heaps that I wish were.
    You'll just have to try to expunge them from your memory (I know the feeling)- you can't do much about the football league records

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast