+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Cheltenham Festival Day 1 selections

OT - Cheltenham Festival Day 1 selections

At last, the greatest sporting event on earth* will begin tomorrow. The prediction of it starting on heavy ground has added a new dimension to the puzzle, but as usual this is betting dreamland as the bookies are bending over backwards with some great offers to attract new custom. This is where the shrewd punter will steam in balls deep. A quick example is Skybet's 'free bet refund on all losers' in the first race, and Paddy Power's 'free bet refund on all losers if the favourite wins' on all races tomorrow. There are several others, and I've browsed them all and taken advantage of most. Just make sure you read the T&Cs as some have limits on when the free bets can be reimbursed. I've probably got 20+ bets on tomorrow, but here is a quick summary of my thoughts:

1:30 Kalashnikov
    2:10 Saint Calvados
    2:50 Cogry (e/w)
    3:30 Elgin (a horse I part own e/w)
    4:10 La Bague Au Roi (betting without Apple's Jade)
    4:50 Sizing Tennessee (one for seriouspie)
    5:30 Mister Whitaker (e/w)

* For the pedants that's just my personal opinion. I realise there are people who actually like things such as Ice Hockey.

1:30 Kalashnikov (bit worried about the neutralising ground)
    2:10 Footpad
    2:50 Gold Present (ew)
    3:30 Wicklow Brave (betting without Buveur D'Air)
    4:50 Ms Parfois ew (in contrast to the 1:30 would like it to be in a swimming pool, and by 4:50 it just might be)
    5:30 Barney Dwan ew

All piled together in a frankly ridiculous each way trebles and upwards.

I don't normally have much success at Cheltenham but gone for:

1:30. Getabird (6/4)
    2:10. Footpath (11/10)
    2:50. Gold Present (6/1)
    3:30. Faugheen (6/1)
    4:10. Apple's Jade (4/7)
    4:50. Just Duty (7/2)
    5:30. Any second now (6/1)

As someone who works for a bookies, I should know more.

I fancy a few hot favourites on day one but can't back those at the short prices so here goes.

Claimantakinforgan e/w 14/1 --5 places 1/4 odds with bet 365
    Foot pad
    Yala Enki e/w 12/1---5 places 1/4 odds with 365
    Melon without the favourite. 13/2
    Jer's Girl without the favourite--9/2
    Rathvinden
    De Plotting Shed----- Ballyhill e/w 18/1--- 1/4 odds 5 places bet 365

1/Kalashnikov
    2/SaintCalvados
    3/Coo Star Sivola
    4/B d`air
    5/Lets Dance
    6/Keeper Hill(e/w)
    7/Testify (e/w)

Been staying in the Cotswolds since the FGR game and its only just stopped raining last night.

Could be some big priced winners today as the going will surely be heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    At last, the greatest sporting event on earth* will begin tomorrow. The prediction of it starting on heavy ground has added a new dimension to the puzzle, but as usual this is betting dreamland as the bookies are bending over backwards with some great offers to attract new custom. This is where the shrewd punter will steam in balls deep. A quick example is Skybet's 'free bet refund on all losers' in the first race, and Paddy Power's 'free bet refund on all losers if the favourite wins' on all races tomorrow. There are several others, and I've browsed them all and taken advantage of most. Just make sure you read the T&Cs as some have limits on when the free bets can be reimbursed. I've probably got 20+ bets on tomorrow, but here is a quick summary of my thoughts:

* For the pedants that's just my personal opinion. I realise there are people who actually like things such as Ice Hockey.
    NHL Stanley cup finals not bad EP but my own personal choice would be the 1st day of a Sydney Test match ..... Members area of course but my dream would be a weeks holiday staying at the Boston Park Plaza and pulling in a World series game between the Sox and the Yankees at Fenway Park.

Back to your sport. I can't get hold of Steph and Julie's already at Cheltenham so have no 'inside thoughts' to pass on. I'm going to see Steph when she gets back on other business, but my own thoughts are that now Alan's gone and the girls have the horses, the stable will slowly fade away over the next few years.

Anyway enjoy your trip.

Eventually, a very nice profit on day one and if I might be allowed to blow my own trumpet, a perfect example to disprove the 'betting is a mug's game' theory. The offers from the bookies made it hard to lose today - a good example being the first race. By being selective with the promotions, I backed 3 horses in the race. One was the 9/1 winner , one was the close second, one was unplaced. Only the horse that was second was a losing bet. I made a nice profit on the winner, and got a free bet refund on the unplaced horse. I backed the winner of the last at 10/1 last night, and even though it shortened to 13/2 at the off I was paid out at 10/1 due to the 'best odds guaranteed' offer. All I can say is thank you to the real mugs for enabling the bookies to make these offers .

Eventually, a very nice profit on day one and if I might be allowed to blow my own trumpet, a perfect example to disprove the 'betting is a mug's game' theory. The offers from the bookies made it hard to lose today - a good example being the first race. By being selective with the promotions, I backed 3 horses in the race. One was the 9/1 winner , one was the close second, one was unplaced. Only the horse that was second was a losing bet. I made a nice profit on the winner, and got a free bet refund on the unplaced horse. I backed the winner of the last at 10/1 last night, and even though it shortened to 13/2 at the off I was paid out at 10/1 due to the 'best odds guaranteed' offer. All I can say is thank you to the real mugs for enabling the bookies to make these offers .
    Yes a good day for me also, 2 outright winners plus one without the favourite and an e/w place in the first, very pleased.

* For the pedants that's just my personal opinion. I realise there are people who actually like things such as Ice Hockey.[/QUOTE]

1:30 Kalashnikov......result 1st Summerville Boy 9/1
    2:10 Saint Calvados...result Footpad 5~6
    2:50 Cogry (e/w)....result Coo Star Sivola 5~1
    3:30 Elgin (a horse I part own e/w)...result Buvier Dair 4~6
    4:10 La Bague Au Roi (betting without Apple's Jade) ....result Benie Des Dieux
    4:50 Sizing Tennessee (one for seriouspie)...3rd at 8~1.....woopie...the closest that you have gotten so far
    5:30 Mister Whitaker (e/w)...1st at 13~2.....your only winner?

Anyone following your tips needs to be certified

You picked only one winner.......you are a fraud.....a joke.....a laughing stock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast