+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team for Saturday

Team for Saturday

If nothing else, Nolan's decision to make seven changes for yesterday's match should provide him with a few interesting selection dilemmas for Saturday's big game.

I felt that overall we competed well against the most in-form side in the country, played more football than we have in recent weeks and created three very clearcut chances (missed by Forte, Virtue and Grant).

Anyway, of the seven who came into the side I thought that Husin and in particular Milsom did a good job of settling things down in midfield. It's no coincidence that when we started with our two most composed midfielders, we actually, finally played a bit of football. I've no idea why Milsom went from ending last season as deservedly double Player of the Season winner to never really being first-choice this time around. He showed why he should've played far more and should be a shoo-in for the team for the remaining games. I also thought O'Connor did well when he came on alongside him - notably the flick which created the chance for Grant - and depending on his fitness I'd be tempted to pair him with Milsom as these two set the tempo for us in the second half of last season and got us playing on the front foot.

IMO Forte did a good job in a fairly thankless task as a lone striker, and was unlucky with his chance which hit the underside of the bar (looked over the line at the time). He ran the channels and held it up well and generally did as well as you'd expect on his first start in three months. Just by having him on the pitch, we were afforded more space and time because his pace means they have to defend much deeper; when it's the usual SAS teams can defend on the halfway line with no fear and we're instantly pinned back. We're desperate for pace in the side and, until we have a better solution in the summer, I'd sooner play the one quick attacker we have. Him + Ameobi or Stead for the final five games please.

Hall has done very well since he's come in the team but I'd much sooner he play alongside Brisley than replace him, but Duffy is seemingly undroppable. Walker clearly has ability but it's hard to remember any notable moments or him really influencing any game this season; a couple of nice touches but he faded in and out again yesterday, though he was still unlucky to come off ahead of Virtue, who was absolutely terrible in all of the three positions (CM/AM/RM) he played and missed the best chance of the match when he just had to guide his header on target, as opposed to just letting the ball hit his head. We've had a lot of loanees in recent years who have been terrible here who have then gone on to do very well at a higher level, but I really don't see what Virtue's strengths are supposed to be. I wouldn't use him again.

What I'd pick on Saturday:

Fitzsimons (Collin had a good game yesterday but still feel Fitzsimons is by far the better of the two)

Tootle Hall Brisley Jones

Hewitt O'Connor Milsom Grant

Stead Forte

Subs: Collin; Duffy; Noble; Husin; Hawkridge; Alessandra; Ameobi.

What I expect:

Collin

Tootle Duffy Hall Dickinson

Hawkridge Hewitt Noble Alessandra

Ameobi Stead

Subs: Fitzsimons; Brisley; O'Connor; Husin; Virtue; Grant; Smith

What would you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    If nothing else, Nolan's decision to make seven changes for yesterday's match should provide him with a few interesting selection dilemmas for Saturday's big game.

I felt that overall we competed well against the most in-form side in the country, played more football than we have in recent weeks and created three very clearcut chances (missed by Forte, Virtue and Grant).

Anyway, of the seven who came into the side I thought that Husin and in particular Milsom did a good job of settling things down in midfield. It's no coincidence that when we started with our two most composed midfielders, we actually, finally played a bit of football. I've no idea why Milsom went from ending last season as deservedly double Player of the Season winner to never really being first-choice this time around. He showed why he should've played far more and should be a shoo-in for the team for the remaining games. I also thought O'Connor did well when he came on alongside him - notably the flick which created the chance for Grant - and depending on his fitness I'd be tempted to pair him with Milsom as these two set the tempo for us in the second half of last season and got us playing on the front foot.

IMO Forte did a good job in a fairly thankless task as a lone striker, and was unlucky with his chance which hit the underside of the bar (looked over the line at the time). He ran the channels and held it up well and generally did as well as you'd expect on his first start in three months. Just by having him on the pitch, we were afforded more space and time because his pace means they have to defend much deeper; when it's the usual SAS teams can defend on the halfway line with no fear and we're instantly pinned back. We're desperate for pace in the side and, until we have a better solution in the summer, I'd sooner play the one quick attacker we have. Him + Ameobi or Stead for the final five games please.

Hall has done very well since he's come in the team but I'd much sooner he play alongside Brisley than replace him, but Duffy is seemingly undroppable. Walker clearly has ability but it's hard to remember any notable moments or him really influencing any game this season; a couple of nice touches but he faded in and out again yesterday, though he was still unlucky to come off ahead of Virtue, who was absolutely terrible in all of the three positions (CM/AM/RM) he played and missed the best chance of the match when he just had to guide his header on target, as opposed to just letting the ball hit his head. We've had a lot of loanees in recent years who have been terrible here who have then gone on to do very well at a higher level, but I really don't see what Virtue's strengths are supposed to be. I wouldn't use him again.

Fitzsimons (Collin had a good game yesterday but still feel Fitzsimons is by far the better of the two)

Stead Forte

What I expect:

Collin

Ameobi Stead

What would you pick?
    I would pick the same as you with, wonder how many would have travelled to Accrington knowing the team Nolan selected before hand. Just hope he doesn't select Virtue and Walker again this season even has subs!

Collin

Tootle
    Hall
    Brisley
    Jones

Hawkridge (sub for Alessandra ~ 60/70 mins)
    Hewitt
    Husin (sub for O'Connor depending on fitness)
    Grant

Forte
    Ameobe
    (Sub for Stead depending on which one having least impact)

Collin

Tootle
    Brisley (won't happen, this will be Duffy)
    Hall
    Jones

Hewitt
    Milsom
    Husin/Noble

Grant - Give him the 10 role he desires, let him roam and see what happens

Forte
    Ameobi/Stead (with the other coming off the bench)

Full backs can provide the width while Hewitt and Milsom sit deep when needed, creative players like Grant and Husin or Noble can make things happen through the middle and jobs a good'n

Thinking about it, it will be interesting to see if Jones starts against Coventry after the absolute mare he had at their place opening day...

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post

Stead Forte

What I expect:

Collin

Ameobi Stead

What would you pick?
    I agree with you, but KN will probably bring back all of his big boot merchants..

I would like to see a 4-3-3 of
    Collins
    Toots, Hall, Duffy, Jones
    Milsom, Hewitt, O’Connor
    Grant, Stead, Alles

If we are up against it we can easily go 5 in midfield but I would want Grant and Alles to provide support to Stead by literally being in and around him. Not 20-30 yards away.
    I would demand that the ball goes into Stead’s feet and not 3000ft above him. Despite what some think I don’t see him as a target man.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I would like to see a 4-3-3 of
    Collins
    Toots, Hall, Duffy, Jones
    Milsom, Hewitt, O’Connor
    Grant, Stead, Alles

If we are up against it we can easily go 5 in midfield but I would want Grant and Alles to provide support to Stead by literally being in and around him. Not 20-30 yards away.
    I would demand that the ball goes into Stead’s feet and not 3000ft above him. Despite what some think I don’t see him as a target man.
    I'd say most people would agree that Stead isn't a good targetman despite his height, he's much better when the ball is played to his feet. I actually think the group of players that we have would be quite well suited to a passing game, keeping it on the floor and the few times we've done it this season we've usually looked dangerous before resorting back to the more direct approach.

You can't really win at Notts though, any backwards passing so we keep possession the crowd goes mad, which in turn p*sses off Nolan quite visibly and it seems to be getting worse and worse as the season goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Collin

Tootle
    Brisley (won't happen, this will be Duffy)
    Hall
    Jones

Hewitt
    Milsom
    Husin/Noble

Grant - Give him the 10 role he desires, let him roam and see what happens

Forte
    Ameobi/Stead (with the other coming off the bench)

Full backs can provide the width while Hewitt and Milsom sit deep when needed, creative players like Grant and Husin or Noble can make things happen through the middle and jobs a good'n

Thinking about it, it will be interesting to see if Jones starts against Coventry after the absolute mare he had at their place opening day...
    I really like that team Del... would love to see Grant in a free role behind the front 2... Jones is a must instead of Dickinson and apart from the Coventry game I cant remember him having a bad game all season... now Hawkridge... nowhere near the team please KN.. Forte deserves another go, ran himself ragged against Stanley and would look good with Stead/Ameobi beside him