+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Salisbury Poisoning

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    So, now the cat is out of the bag. They either did it, she says, or they were careless in taking care of the nerve agent.

Here is another possibility. It seems the UK has a stockpile of that very nerve agent about 7 miles from Salisbury. Might it have come from there?

Mrs May told MPs that Russia had provided "no explanation" as to how the nerve agent came to be used in the UK, describing Moscow's response as one of "sarcasm, contempt and defiance".

She said the use of a Russian-made nerve agent on UK soil amounted to the "unlawful use of force".

Hmmmmm - they asked for proof. Not an unreasonable request when accused of attempted murder. They received no proof. It also appears that small taces of the nerve agent have been retrieved from various places like their home, the restaurant, the pub, the park etc. Russia also asked for a sample so they could check if it came from them originally and, hopefully, track its journey.....they received no sample.

Basically, they have been accused tried and convicted of a crime. The prosecution has offered up zero evidence other than that the nerve agent was probably made in Russia. The defence has been given nothing to look at or investigate or even be allowed to offer a defence. Proper stitch up job and I can't think why.

It's like me selling you my AR15. You then shoot up a school. Obviously it's my fault......... Sorry, Mayhem, it don't work that way.

This case looks about as solid as Iraq's WMD..................
    Sadly - and I’m no defender of Putin - the above comments from MA are about the most sensible I’ve heard.
    At best we could be going to look very silly over all this and Mrs. May seems to be building a reputation for impetuousity. Jumped into the role of post referendum PM despite being an avowed ‘Remainer’. Couldn’t contradict herself quickly enough when the opportunity for possibly the most ill advised election of all time was called last year and now she places us at odds with Russia despite an almost complete lack of genuine evidence.
    All in all all she seems to repeatedly display a disturbing lack of both judgement and leadership in her ongoing quest for personal credibility.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-03-2018 at 04:56 PM.

It is those that invent,produce & sell AK rifles & chemical agents that are responsible and who are therefore enemies of decency & civilisation.

Usual government postering they won't actually do anything Far to many Russian oligarchs in London that don't need upsetting Plus push Putin to hard and off goes the gas tap

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I agree. However Putin has very strong card to play. The chemical cannot be specifically proven to be Russian as it was developed back in the old Soviet Union. Of course everyone knows it's the Ruskies but as his EU Ambassador said yesterday, this was made in the Soviet Union, with 16 republics, now independent nations.
    How sure can the UK prove that it was Russian, not Georgian, Kazakhstan or any other former Soviet republic. As far s Russia is concerned, 'they have destroyed all chemical weapons' to comply as a member of the organisation that deals with chemical weapons.

So whatever proof the UK has is purely conjecture. That's the Russian stance. Ms May will apparently chair an NSC meeting today and announce some form of sanctions. Which in reality won't mean much, a few embassy staff made persona non grata, some banning of Russian imports and probably banning Russian media outlets in the UK. Which of course the Russians will respond in kind and probably will see the BBC banned in Russia.
    Perhaps threatening to give Putin fellatio when they next meet, would be a more terrifying sanction.

Meanwhile another Russian ex-agent who fled the country (former Aeroflot director) was found dead.
    The simple fact of the matter is that Putin had long ago declared any Russian who tries to expose them will be branded a traitor and deserves to die like a dog.
    And there's nothing anybody can do about it. Unless the UK decides to nuke Russia. The 20 or so nuclear missiles they have ready at any 1 time could well inflict severe damage on Russia, but fail to destroy it. The Russians of course would respond with their nuclear arsenal which would make the whole Britain a desert island.

The best possible response from the UK I think should be to make the obligatory complaints and strongly worded condemnation, some token sanctions and then wait for the matter to die down. It would in the UK's better interests to engage Russia economically now that Brexit is gonna occur. Russia has resources, Britain needs trade partners and investment, while Russia needs an avenue in the West to sell their goods through.

Simply put, if the Americans can do diiddly squat after it was proven that they interfered in their elections, invaded Georgia, annexed Crimea and attacks Ukraine by proxy, what the feck can the UK do? They can bully smaller boys like Libya, send troops to Iraq and Afghanistan and probably teach some puny nations like Argentina a lesson. That's where they can play 'big fish', however when a whale like Russia tumbles into their path, the only thing they can and should do, is get the hell out of the way.
    Sorry how does everyone know its Russia. The only facts so far are that the nerve agent was of soviet union origin even those people who are supposedly experts in this sort of thing are saying that its unlikley the Russian state as the guy would be of no interest to them and liquidating an ex spy who had been exchanged would be counter productive.

Given how governments of either labour or conservative seemed to be easily persuaded by dodgy dossiers and falsehoods to wage war in iraq and try and wage war in Libya, I'd say that Corbyn's stance, in saying lets not jump to conclusions, lets work with international law and establish the facts was the more sensible and statesman like, but hey ho its seems people have very short memories and happy to accept assumptions. Not IMO a very sensible move at all.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Sorry how does everyone know its Russia. The only facts so far are that the nerve agent was of soviet union origin even those people who are supposedly experts in this sort of thing are saying that its unlikley the Russian state as the guy would be of no interest to them and liquidating an ex spy who had been exchanged would be counter productive.

Given how governments of either labour or conservative seemed to be easily persuaded by dodgy dossiers and falsehoods to wage war in iraq and try and wage war in Libya, I'd say that Corbyn's stance, in saying lets not jump to conclusions, lets work with international law and establish the facts was the more sensible and statesman like, but hey ho its seems people have very short memories and happy to accept assumptions. Not IMO a very sensible move at all.
    ...although very popular/'populist', in my travels round Europe, Russians and the Russian state are reviled by almost everyone who cares to offer an opinion - they even manage to rack off the beautiful Greeks. UK won't come out of this the winner, but sometimes making a stand is more important than the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    ...although very popular/'populist', in my travels round Europe, Russians and the Russian state are reviled by almost everyone who cares to offer an opinion - they even manage to rack off the beautiful Greeks. UK won't come out of this the winner, but sometimes making a stand is more important than the outcome
    But, as Swale has correctly pointed out, it’s always a good idea to have some evidence of what or who you are actually ‘making a stand’ against or...bit like Brexit...in support of.
    For me those little matters of detail, evidence and informed opinion are quite crucial before offering support to any ‘theory’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    But, as Swale has correctly pointed out, it’s always a good idea to have some evidence of what or who you are actually ‘making a stand’ against or...bit like Brexit...in support of.
    For me those little matters of detail, evidence and informed opinion are quite crucial before offering support to any ‘theory’.
    Mmmmmmmmmmm, how much do you trust Putin?

Airliner downed in the Ukraine. "It isn't us scream the Russians"
    Pictures appear on facebook of rebels showing off their new Russian high tech AAM battery
    Russia releases a photoshopped picture of a Ukrainian military jet shooting down the airliner.
    "IT WASN'T US THEY SCREAM" as a satellite picture of said, AAM shown crawling back over the border.

Russian athletes caught cheating by doping. "It isn't true scream the Russians" , Blaming Russianophobia.
    It's then found the Federal Security Services has instructed doping tests to be altered and no co operation with the Olympic committee.

Alexander Litvinenko was a former officer of the Russian Federal Security Service (FS and KGB, who fled from court prosecution in Russia and received political asylum in the United Kingdom.

On 1 November 2006, Litvinenko suddenly fell ill and was hospitalized. He died three weeks later, becoming the first confirmed victim of lethal polonium-210-induced acute radiation syndrome. Litvinenko's allegations about the misdeeds of the FSB and his public deathbed accusations that Russian president Vladimir Putin was behind his unusual malady resulted in worldwide media coverage.

Subsequent investigations by British authorities into the circumstances of Litvinenko's death led to serious diplomatic difficulties between the British and Russian governments. During the 2014–2015 trial the Scotland Yard representative witnessed that "the evidence suggests that the only credible explanation is in one way or another the Russian state is involved in Litvinenko's murder". Another witness stated that Dmitry Kovtun had been speaking openly about the plan to kill Litvinenko that was intended to "set an example" as a punishment for a "traitor". The main suspect in the case, a former officer of the Russian Federal Protective Service (FSO), Andrey Lugovoy, remains in Russia.

Of course the butler could have done it, in the library

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sometimes you just have to go with gut feel RA. Using a very local and very recent analogy, and without being remotely racist, when there are 'travellers' in the area offering to do tree work at discounted rates, and my way down Gypsy (sic) Lane is blocked by a lorryload of fly-tipped conifer cuttings, I didn't see who it was but I know who it was

AF I know what you mean about fly tipping in Gypsy Lane I go down there everyday a disgusting nightmare and yes we all know who it is

Trouble is with providing evidence in these matters, you will be also showing how you have gained the evidence. Better to leave them thinking ' how the hell do they know for sure, Where's our leak?'

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)