+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Salisbury Poisoning

Adis I agree, but the fact remains, what actual claim do these people have other than many years ago when Britain was a naval power, they occupied these lands and decided to implant British citizens there?
    Of course they have certain rights as residents. Through no fault of theirs succeeding generations have developed and built a life there. However it doesn't depart from the fact, that the original claim to the islands is not Britain's to begin with, it was taken by naval force.
    Therefore as far their rights go, the decision is not theirs to make, rather through a deal between Buenos Aires and London with proper compensation. If they were an independent country that would be different, they are an overseas territory. The final decision is not theirs but with London or Parliament. The fact that they've been there perhaps centuries doesn't hide the fact they are occupiers and as occupiers they must accept the fact a day may come, when they are asked to leave.

How many people are there? 2000 plus, perhaps 300 families. Ask the Argies to give each family a million dollars or pounds and the British Govt to build or resettle them in the UK with homes. That would be a fairer solution. Then the 2 govts negotiate a final agreement on the islands. The islanders can't always demand their cake and eat it.

And similarly another deal should be done over Gibraltar.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Adis I agree, but the fact remains, what actual claim do these people have other than many years ago when Britain was a naval power, they occupied these lands and decided to implant British citizens there?
    Of course they have certain rights as residents. Through no fault of theirs succeeding generations have developed and built a life there. However it doesn't depart from the fact, that the original claim to the islands is not Britain's to begin with, it was taken by naval force.
    Therefore as far their rights go, the decision is not theirs to make, rather through a deal between Buenos Aires and London with proper compensation. If they were an independent country that would be different, they are an overseas territory. The final decision is not theirs but with London or Parliament. The fact that they've been there perhaps centuries doesn't hide the fact they are occupiers and as occupiers they must accept the fact a day may come, when they are asked to leave.

How many people are there? 2000 plus, perhaps 300 families. Ask the Argies to give each family a million dollars or pounds and the British Govt to build or resettle them in the UK with homes. That would be a fairer solution. Then the 2 govts negotiate a final agreement on the islands. The islanders can't always demand their cake and eat it.

And similarly another deal should be done over Gibraltar.
    Sorry Romans, gonna stop you dead there. The Spanish are some of the biggest colonists ever and their clambering over Gibraltar is laughable.

Will the Spanish be removing the populations of the Canary islands, the Balearic's and those two enclaves in North Africa, they keep quiet about?
    I'll point out to you, that the Spanish quite happily handed over Gibraltar in exchange for Menorca.
    Made sense for us, as the gateway to the Med made it a brilliant naval base.
    The inhabitants have since received the best standard of living there and voted on being part of Spain in 2002.
    98.4% said, stuff you. I think I'd go with there choice.

Adi, is right. The native population has the right to decide its future.
    The minute any of them say, we're out. I'd endorse it. The same applies to Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Ok I'll leave Gibraltar out of this. Lets just debate Malvinas/Falklands. What connection does the UK have in South America?
    So they colonise a place when they were a naval power, probably the strongest there was at the time, and for good measure bring their OWN PEOPLE over and set them up there. And now use the argument, when they (our own people and descendants) decide otherwise, we'll consider.
    You put them there, you can also take them out. Using this argument, means the Palestine have no right to the West Bank after Israel outs their own people there and say hey, they don't want to leave.

The right thing to do is resettle them with due compensation, Argentina pays for the return of the island either directly to the UK or compensate each family accordingly. The former being the better one. With that money, HM's Govt pays them for the cost of their land etc and rehouses them back in the UK. Or they can take the money and go anywhere else. Or even choose to remain but under Argentine rule.

Ok I'll leave Gibraltar out of this. Lets just debate Malvinas/Falklands. What connection does the UK have in South America?
    So they colonise a place when they were a naval power, probably the strongest there was at the time, and for good measure bring their OWN PEOPLE over and set them up there. And now use the argument, when they (our own people and descendants) decide otherwise, we'll consider.
    You put them there, you can also take them out. Using this argument, means the Palestine have no right to the West Bank after Israel outs their own people there and say hey, they don't want to leave.

The right thing to do is resettle them with due compensation, Argentina pays for the return of the island either directly to the UK or compensate each family accordingly. The former being the better one. With that money, HM's Govt pays them for the cost of their land etc and rehouses them back in the UK. Or they can take the money and go anywhere else. Or even choose to remain but under Argentine rule.
    Ok, this is going to be good.
    What exactly are you arguing about? Scale?
    We discovered them. There was a tussle involving a 3 way tug, until the Argies decided they was theirs.
    Naval power or not, we settled them and the islands have an indigenous population. There never was one before.
    So you want to out them, with compensation?

Well you have set a precedent here. How far are you willing to go?

I've mentioned the Canaries/Balearic's/ North Africa.
    What about Tabita's best line (the Canadian girl friend)?
    What you lot took and did to my people is unforgivable. Will we be outing all whites in Canada/USA/Africa/Australasia with compensation?

GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The Falklands had a referendum on whether to remain british or become Argentinan. 2 (I think that was the figure) Argentinian immigrants voted Argie. The rest of the island voted Brit. That should be the end of it.

2. Hong Kong. We rented HK from China. When the lease ran out there were 2 possibilities. A) a new lease agreement or the Chinese took HK back. They chose to do the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    1. The Falklands had a referendum on whether to remain british or become Argentinan. 2 (I think that was the figure) Argentinian immigrants voted Argie. The rest of the island voted Brit. That should be the end of it.

2. Hong Kong. We rented HK from China. When the lease ran out there were 2 possibilities. A) a new lease agreement or the Chinese took HK back. They chose to do the latter.
    Just like the referendum in Crimea. Totally unbiased.

Just like the referendum in Crimea. Totally unbiased.
    Oh come on Romans, Crimea became part of the Russian empire and the Russo-Turk wars. In 1917 it was absorbed into the Soviet union.
    Under your argument, they should hand it back.

So like I said. How far do you want to go?
    Is Tabita due a Million bucks, if your argument holds water?

On the Falklands. Nobody has yet mentioned that the Islands were once under Argentine rule for a massive 12 years, I think it was. They also had a brief period as a USA "colony".

Indigenous population? Anglo-Saxon in South America are indigenous, now that's very disingenuous!

Indigenous population? Anglo-Saxon in South America are indigenous, now that's very disingenuous!
    They was the first there Romans. I don't care if its 200 years or 2000.
    So I'll say again. Will the Spanish be leaving the canaries?
    Or like the Agentinians, divulge from Spanish heritage?

The islanders could want independence in 100 years. It didn't take the Americas long.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)