+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motherwell to play Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi-final

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    We're out.

That was a bad result for us tonight.

No second final this season then.
    How do you come to that conclusion? They have 4 players out, four of their best players at that. It will be a difficult game no doubt as Aberdeen are a decent side but to say we are out before a ball is kicked is way off the mark. It will be tough but it will also be tough for Aberdeen. We have faired not to bad against them this season so for me the game is in the balance. Difficult one to call.

Astonished at the negativity but not from LSM
    It’s not as thou Barcelona have been parachuted in for a guest appearance Scottish Cup semi final.
    I accept the KO shocking when Aberdeen fans have to start their journey before milk/papers delivered ... where’s the problem ?
    They're weakened thru suspension and prone to bottling on big occasions = TWO advantages
    IF we turn up we can/will take ‘em within the 90 minutes.
    As for the final lets wait and see. A Russian invasion may result it being postponed.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    How do you come to that conclusion? They have 4 players out, four of their best players at that. It will be a difficult game no doubt as Aberdeen are a decent side but to say we are out before a ball is kicked is way off the mark. It will be tough but it will also be tough for Aberdeen. We have faired not to bad against them this season so for me the game is in the balance. Difficult one to call.
    Because man for man they are better than us...AND...I've been supporting Motherwell FC long enough to know that crushing disappointments in games like this are more likely than not.

Aberdeen are no world beaters, but without Louis Moult - who destroyed them earlier on in the season - I just don't believe we will have enough in the tank to get over the line and if it goes to penalties...they will win because our Cup luck just deserts us against them. (And yes, I know, I KNOW we beat them 3-0 in the League Cup this season, I wouldn't forget that, but overall they have our number in cup competitions.

Feel free to bump this post after the game in a months time if I am proved wrong and we've won, but I don't think I will be wrong I'm afraid.

We have played Aberdeen three times already this season beating them twice 3-0 and 2-0 and losing to them 1-0 in the league at Fir Park. In every game they were at full strength so the loss of Lewis,Shinnie,Logan and McLean must surely be a worry to them. Just as much as the fact that four of the five goals we have scored against them were scored by Louis Moult who we don’t have for the semi final along with another influential player Hartley who played in all three games. Yes it will be a tough game but I see no reason why we showed fear them any more than they should fear us.

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    We have played Aberdeen three times already this season beating them twice 3-0 and 2-0 and losing to them 1-0 in the league at Fir Park. In every game they were at full strength so the loss of Lewis,Shinnie,Logan and McLean must surely be a worry to them. Just as much as the fact that four of the five goals we have scored against them were scored by Louis Moult who we don’t have for the semi final along with another influential player Hartley who played in all three games. Yes it will be a tough game but I see no reason why we showed fear them any more than they should fear us.
    Agreed. If both teams 'turn up' it could depend on a break of the ball, a mistake or a ref's decision. Mind you, there's a month to go; ourselves and/or the Dons could easily lose a couple of players through injury.
    I wouldn't, as things stand, be risking a bet on either team to win.

Because man for man they are better than us...AND...I've been supporting Motherwell FC long enough to know that crushing disappointments in games like this are more likely than not.

Aberdeen are no world beaters, but without Louis Moult - who destroyed them earlier on in the season - I just don't believe we will have enough in the tank to get over the line and if it goes to penalties...they will win because our Cup luck just deserts us against them. (And yes, I know, I KNOW we beat them 3-0 in the League Cup this season, I wouldn't forget that, but overall they have our number in cup competitions.

Feel free to bump this post after the game in a months time if I am proved wrong and we've won, but I don't think I will be wrong I'm afraid.
    I'd beg to differ ... you've been berating MFC for years - not bluddy 'supporting' us. As for your previous comment of Rangers beating Celtic in the other SF; just goes to show where your true love lies don't it?
    Last edited by sieb1886; 14-03-2018 at 11:11 PM.

(And yes, I know, I KNOW we beat them 3-0 in the League Cup this season, I wouldn't forget that, but overall they have our number in cup competitions.
    According to Soccerbase our League Cup record v them is W10 D1 L9 and in the Scottish Cup it's W4 D4 L6. So you're correct, "they have our number" by a single win but when comparing the sizes of the clubs I'd say that record speaks volumes for us.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    I'd beg to differ ... you've been berating MFC for years - not bluddy 'supporting' us. As for your previous comment of Rangers beating Celtic in the other SF; just goes to show where your true love lies don't it?
    I've been a season ticket holder for over twenty years, have spent God knows how much on club merchandise, travel to as many away matches as I possibly can and am a Well Society member...so you can rap that patter about Rangers being my "true love" right away.

I see you conveniently twisted what I said in that post you referred to in order to suit your agenda didn't you? I said it would be typical if Rangers beat Celtic after we've lost to Aberdeen as playing Rangers would present us with our best chance in a final...so it would be a missed opportunity.

So, away and take your face for a sh+te.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    I doubt the media will hype us up at all - they'll cite us being 4 key players down, which is a massive handicap.
    I'd say it's 50/50
    Had we the 4 players available, then I'd have 60/40 in Aberdeen's favour.
    could easily be extra time and penalties IMO
    We're now up to three players out so the stakes are getting alarmingly close to even in that regard!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)