+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia and the World Cup

Russia and the World Cup

Any Notts fans going to the World Cup this summer? And if so how are they feeling about it now?
    In view of recent events I wouldn't go if I had a paid for trip. Not only will Brits be subject to violence from Russian fans but the state may well interfere in all kinds of ways. You may be detained outside stadia in lengthy searches, you may be arrested on trumped up charges. Once in the stadia you are at the mercy of the authorities.
    Why don't we have a national referendum on whether England should withdraw from the World Cup and let the entire nation decide? I reckon that with the chance to banish 7/24 football from television, many who have no interest in the game would vote 'withdraw'

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Any Notts fans going to the World Cup this summer? And if so how are they feeling about it now?
    In view of recent events I wouldn't go if I had a paid for trip. Not only will Brits be subject to violence from Russian fans but the state may well interfere in all kinds of ways. You may be detained outside stadia in lengthy searches, you may be arrested on trumped up charges. Once in the stadia you are at the mercy of the authorities.
    Why don't we have a national referendum on whether England should withdraw from the World Cup and let the entire nation decide? I reckon that with the chance to banish 7/24 football from television, many who have no interest in the game would vote 'withdraw'
    I've spent enough time writing on various threads about Russia for people to know where I stand (lovely country, great people, dangerous regime which is becoming more so in light of European / North American complacency) but I don't like to see sport mixed up with politics. There's no way we should even be considering pulling out.

Like you though Sid I also wouldn't go if you paid me. There's a lot of potential for things to go very wrong.

The worst thing about World Cups (and Euros) is the media focussing all of its' attention on England's chances, or lack of them. The most enjoyable International tournament in recent years was Euro 2008, the 1994 World Cup was an excellent one too (apart from the final) both of which England failed to qualify. England offer very little and almost always get knocked out in the group stage these days anyway, they wouldn't be missed. Germany on the other hand, if they pulled out then that would be a big deal.

It’s a disgrace Russia got it in the first place, and I wish England hadn’t qualified.

As far as I can see, what Putin is in charge of is no better than a gangster state, and he should be shunned and excluded, not hosting World Cups.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    It’s a disgrace Russia got it in the first place, and I wish England hadn’t qualified.

As far as I can see, what Putin is in charge of is no better than a gangster state, and he should be shunned and excluded, not hosting World Cups.
    All countries are protection rackets, basically. This one, Britain, is certainly no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    All countries are protection rackets, basically. This one, Britain, is certainly no exception.
    From a Hobbesian perspective you're right, and no country is above criticism, and our country's history is chequered, but I'd be very careful of creating an equivalence between the UK and Russia. As single citizens we enjoy many more freedoms and protections.

Telly and plenty of Stella, where it's safe

... it's like 1936

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... it's like 1936
    You must have a fantastic memory.

We've sent home some diplomats and no royals or politicians are going to the world cup - that'll show 'em.

What a weak and feeble response, makes you wonder who this government is actually serving.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast