+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hawking dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    ....I think the so called big bang began around 80yrs ago heeler - but that religion (as taught as fact in schools) has since been replaced by another - an expanding vacuum of energy....causing that later hot dense state - but that could all change.

and anyway - I dont honestly know who or what was around then.....and it doesn't much concern me - but I do know something of my beginning to present...in the here and now - and can assure you that I haven't gone into some deep hypnotic regressive state - like those that do.....to discover they'd been Cleopatra's chief food tester etc.....and I dont follow any organised religion (to bind oneself) to some deviant perv of a Pope or historic bloodsoaked battles under the cross etc.
    However - there's many that do follow and worship - but I think that if they're loving, caring and sincere folk who know their own minds - then who am I to object.....just as I wouldn't have shown any disapproval to the ancient Aboriginals....for many millenia they had had their dreamtime - and their eternal creator - then along came the missionaries, but instead of learning from them - the smashed their ladder tree with the modern system of institutional belief - an attempt perhaps....to severe a more perfect link to the heavens ?

Cheers.

The Aboriginal "Dream Time" was their creation story to explain the beginning of time.

Its an OK fairy story with the "Waggle" (Serpent) creating valleys and troughs, etc.

As I say, an OK story to try and explain that which is difficult at this time to explain.

All cultures have their "Waggle". In one form or another. The Missionaries have their "Waggle" and try to put their fairy story above those of others. That is the "force majeure" of all the major religions save Judaism which expressively tries to discourage conversion.

Man has always looked to above as reason for his "punishment" (Drought, Famine).

Man believed he was singled out for this special treatment because the God(s) were unhappy with Him.

Of course animals died as well under those conditions but no-one bleeds for them.

As I say, we can not hide from the fact we believe we are "special" in the Universe.

We are not.

(To all interested )

''as if so, and there is and has always been something...then shouldn't we all going somewhere, and the only question that remains to answer is - Where ? ''

In the relationship between humans ,where there is attraction, love,,then the coming together,the two become as ONE. Even the Hebrew Old Testiment

(Deut 6-4 ) It says '' The LORD our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, ...

One, here is whole ,Oneness, everything. To the spiritual aspirant devotion leads to love and Oneness. In simple terms:

What happens when a piece of salt touches the Ocean? As soon as it touches it becomes the Ocean,it merges into the ocean,it becomes One with the Ocean. It becomes the Ocean!!! It is not Unity ,rather Unification.

A journey from unqualified conciousness through this creation to return back to qualified consciousness. What God ,if you think of it as God ,is doing is qualifiying/liberating his own Self!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Wow. I am amazed that you are using Tanya Gold to try to prove your point.

Why does that amaze you ?

Besides, if you actually read the piece you'll find it's his wife who provides the evidence that Hawking was a weapons grade tw@t in his personal life, not Tanya Gold.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept the truth about the man ?

Hawking was a leftie and a remoaner. Lots of people have a problem with these sorts of people.

Tanya Gold is a raging feminist (nothing wrong with that) who wrote the piece about a divorcee, who was having an affair with the knowledge of Hawking.
    Hawking never gave his side of the story.

If you look no further than a divorcee and a feminist for your evidence, and then decide it is "the truth", then that is up to you.

Me? I just celebrate his unbelievable talent...I have no wish to pry into his private life, unless he was acting unlawfully, which no one is suggesting.

Hawking was a leftie and a remoaner. Lots of people have a problem with these sorts of people.

I'm not really sure what relevance this has, millions of people are lefties and remoaners, whilst I might not agree with either stance, I certainly don't have a problem with it, and it makes not a jot of difference as to whether they're misogynists or not.

Tanya Gold is a raging feminist (nothing wrong with that) who wrote the piece about a divorcee, who was having an affair with the knowledge of Hawking.
    Hawking never gave his side of the story.

You know far more than I do about Tanya Gold, but feminist or not is again irrelevant. Although I'm not sure, I suspect that piece she wrote was not about a divorcee having an affair, but was a film review for the Speccy. Instead of attacking the author why not point out the inaccuracies in the piece, if there are any ? This attacking the messenger and ignoring the message seems to be a shifty trait amongst lefties, which sadly your good self does not seem immune to. Recently I put up a piece by Peter Hitchens, you simply made a derogatory remark about Hitchens, and totally ignored the points he made, now you've done it again with Gold. It's a shame, lefty that you are, I still expect better from you.

If you look no further than a divorcee and a feminist for your evidence, and then decide it is "the truth", then that is up to you.

That piece was published while Hawking was still alive, so was the book Gold refers to. If there were any lies, anything libellous in either, Hawking could, and I'm sure would, have sought redress in the courts. He didn't, so you can draw your own logical conclusions about the veracity of those accounts of his personal life, which I do.

Me? I just celebrate his unbelievable talent...I have no wish to pry into his private life, unless he was acting unlawfully, which no one is suggesting.

You can be as talented as you like, it doesn't preclude you from being a tw@t and a misogynist, which he was. It's quite Alice in Wonderland to find a lefty, and presumably a feminist, defending a misogynist. But then Alice's Wonderland and the territory lefties inhabit do seem to have a lot in common.

Have a good day mon ami, and how are the broken ribs, mending I trust ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 16-03-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    The Aboriginal "Dream Time" was their creation story to explain the beginning of time.

Its an OK fairy story with the "Waggle" (Serpent) creating valleys and troughs, etc.
    As I say, an OK story to try and explain that which is difficult at this time to explain.
    All cultures have their "Waggle". In one form or another. The Missionaries have their "Waggle" and try to put their fairy story above those of others. That is the "force majeure" of all the major religions save Judaism which expressively tries to discourage conversion.
    Man has always looked to above as reason for his "punishment" (Drought, Famine).
    Man believed he was singled out for this special treatment because the God(s) were unhappy with Him.
    Of course animals died as well under those conditions but no-one bleeds for them.
    As I say, we can not hide from the fact we believe we are "special" in the Universe.
    We are not.
    It was Dreamtime when the Aboriginal "Ancestors" made the earth - they sang it into existence and so built the songlines - but nothing could exist or was perceived - until it was sung into existence....as all was understood to be an illusion - that being very similar to how pure mind buddhism sees it.
    Can similarly return to prehistoric times with their parietal art (cave paintings)....did the caveman one day say - I think i'll paint myself striking a wooly mammoth with a spear...so man of the future can see how I did it....or was it, as it was with old Native Americans or the peoples of the Africa's etc - their closeness or oneness with the laws of nature - that thing which gave them their ability to straddle the veil and realise the power of Visualization - and how that beautiful gift of focus could assist them within this sensual sphere of life..... .

So Yes - I think we have lost sight of that "special" place.....we follow nothing - we abuse nature...war against and destroy it - and so our pictures and sound, our dreamtime - feeds us accordingly....and still we tell ourselves we know everything...but in Truth - we see and experience....so little.

Orpheus v3

A god has the power. But tell me, shall a man
    Wring the same from a slender lyre?
    His senses are awry. And there stand no temples of Apollo
    At the crossings of two heart-lines.

Song, by Your example, does not concern desire,
    Nor pursuit and attainment of its object;
    Song is - to be. Trifling for the god;
    But when shall we be? And when does He

Alter the earth and the stars in our being?
    This is not, my lad, a matter of your passions, though
    Your voice throw open your lips, - learn

To forget that you sang out. That is fleeting.
    True singing is breath of another kind.
    A breath that aims nowhere. Pneuma within the god. A zephyr.

Evening Sinkov, Evening All.

When I hear tittle tackle about a person I tend to treat it with a pinch of salt.
    I need to hear both sides of the story before I make my mind up.
    Yes, Hawking has never mentioned his personal relationships - for whatever reason - perhaps he didn't want it to descend into a slanging match, perhaps it was true.
    When relationships break down then usually at least one party starts shouting their mouth off. So I wouldn't treat the evidence of Gold as Gospel.
    Hawking was very obviously very well loved by his children, and that speaks volumes to me.

Without doubt, both parties in the marriage had a very challenging life and I am sure we can all imagine that there were times when raw emotion must have surfaced.

So when I think of Stephen Hawking I will just admire his utter brilliance, and I am sure that in years to come, the overwhelming majority will treat him with reverance, similat to Einstein, Newton et al.

And yes, my ribs are fully fettled thanks. I am back running and on the tandem!

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    It was Dreamtime when the Aboriginal "Ancestors" made the earth - they sang it into existence and so built the songlines - but nothing could exist or was perceived - until it was sung into existence....as all was understood to be an illusion - that being very similar to how pure mind buddhism sees it.
    Can similarly return to prehistoric times with their parietal art (cave paintings)....did the caveman one day say - I think i'll paint myself striking a wooly mammoth with a spear...so man of the future can see how I did it....or was it, as it was with old Native Americans or the peoples of the Africa's etc - their closeness or oneness with the laws of nature - that thing which gave them their ability to straddle the veil and realise the power of Visualization - and how that beautiful gift of focus could assist them within this sensual sphere of life..... .

So Yes - I think we have lost sight of that "special" place.....we follow nothing - we abuse nature...war against and destroy it - and so our pictures and sound, our dreamtime - feeds us accordingly....and still we tell ourselves we know everything...but in Truth - we see and experience....so little.

Orpheus v3

A god has the power. But tell me, shall a man
    Wring the same from a slender lyre?
    His senses are awry. And there stand no temples of Apollo
    At the crossings of two heart-lines.

Song, by Your example, does not concern desire,
    Nor pursuit and attainment of its object;
    Song is - to be. Trifling for the god;
    But when shall we be? And when does He

Alter the earth and the stars in our being?
    This is not, my lad, a matter of your passions, though
    Your voice throw open your lips, - learn

To forget that you sang out. That is fleeting.
    True singing is breath of another kind.
    A breath that aims nowhere. Pneuma within the god. A zephyr.

No-one knows why cavemen drew.

Its just as likely that a natural formation or cloud looked very much like an animal; person or object that they recognised.

And that inspired someone to copy it and drawing took off.

It may have been used to explain, in drawing, something that undeveloped speech could not fully articulate.

It may have been boredom or cooped up for long periods in caves due to bad weather.

Cave drawings began as visualisations of their surrounds.

For them there only was fauna and flora to copy and their own image.

In that sense, of course, cave drawings were intimately linked to the closeness of nature. That was their practical boundary. That is what they saw; what they experienced. It doesn't make them into some sort of spiritual superman.

Take away TV and books; electricity and light and you revert back to telling stories with either imaginary or visual illustrations (drawings)! It becomes the method you use when you take all our "improvements" away.

A sudden disappearance of our civilisation will not turn us into spiritual wonders.

But back to drawing. We paint today so "spiritually" using that media we are at the same point as our forefathers--no better no worse.

We appear worse today because we are now in the billions of people and not the little tribes we once were.

But our actions are no different.

Cavemen fought over water holes and attacked other tribes who were weaker. It all the same old, same old--just more of it.

Blueheeler: In this movement from the supple concsiousness through a crude stage returning back to its source, all in this Circle of Creation has equal status. The only difference is humans have a reflective consciousness,we have that ability to know who we are. Animals do not have this ability.

I am refusing to be drawn into a debate on the mystical.

However, with specific reference to Stephen Hawking I would like to add my two bobs worth.

A father.
    A husband.
    A divorcee.
    Awarded the CBE.
    He was Director of Research for Theoretical Cosmology at Cambridge University.
    Physically disabled from an early age and became known globally as "The scientist in a wheelchair".
    Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (US).
    Plenty of academic merit in there I think?

Everything about another person's likeability is subjective in my opinion, if Hawking was indeed a chauvinistic, misogynist so what?

The President of the US seems to be a proper tw@t, he lies, he is an adulterer, he is vindictive and visceral to the point of madness but I am sure someone, somewhere loves him?

Was Hawking fatally flawed or an academic genius? Like all things, only history will properly judge him.
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 17-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)