+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hawking dies.

Good morning 59/60, I have no issue with you treating Hawking with reverance, you are perfectly entitled to hold him in as much esteem as you desire. It was you who took issue with my less flattering view of him. His incredible ability he was born with, he could do nothing about it, no more than he could do anything about his disability, except to attempt to overcome it as best he could, which he did. If you wish to give him credit for an accident of birth, which also played a cruel trick on him, then fine, but in his personal life he did have control, choices and decisions to make, and in those areas of his life over which he did have control, he was a tw@t.

I respect your opinion of him, you are perfectly entitled to it, I suppose it's too much to ask that you respect mine ?

Israeli academic inspired one of Stephen Hawking’s biggest discoveries

Scientist Jacob Bekenstein, who later taught at Hebrew University for 25 years, sparred with preeminent theoretical physicist before they cooperated on black holes In the early 1970s, when the British-born Hawking had already done essential work on the cosmic gravitational fields known as black holes, he got into a disagreement with Jacob Bekenstein, then a doctoral student at Princeton. Bekenstein, the son of Polish-Jewish parents in Mexico, had Israeli citizenship and went on to teach at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem for 25 years.

In his doctoral thesis, which made waves in 1972, Bekenstein theorized that black holes had entropy, or disorder in their system, and subsequently, according to the laws of physics, a temperature. Hawking disagreed, maintaining that black holes could not radiate anything and therefore had no temperature. At a conference in France that year, Hawking gathered a few colleagues and angrily confronted Bekenstein. “These three were senior people. I was just out of my Ph.D. You worry whether you are just stupid and these guys know the truth,” Bekenstein said about the event.

But in 1974, Hawking proved Bekenstein’s idea through a complicated quantum theory calculation. At first he kept the calculation secret, afraid to admit his mistake. He eventually made his discovery public — today it is considered one of his most important achievements. Today, the entropy of a black hole is called Bekenstein-Hawking entropy, but the radiation emitted from a black hole is called Hawking-Bekenstein radiation, or often just Hawking radiation. That might seem unfair, but it’s a necessary distinction, as Bekenstein said himself. “The entropy of a black hole is called Bekenstein-Hawking entropy, which I think is fine. I wrote it down first, Hawking found the numerical value of the constant, so together we found the formula as it is today,” he said. “The radiation was really Hawking’s work. I had no idea how a black hole could radiate. Hawking brought that out very clearly. So that should be called Hawking radiation.”

Some believed Bekenstein, who wore a kippah and won Israel’s prestigious Wolf Prize in 2012, should have won the Nobel Prize for his contributions to science (the prize is not awarded posthumously). But his work and connections to Hawking live on: Hawking said he wanted the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy equation engraved on his tombstone.

Afternoon Sinkov.

Of course I respect your, and everyone else's, views.

You may well be correct, and Hawking was a tw@
    t in his personal life (although I would need more proof than listening to his divorced wife to convince me).

It is a well known trait that genius's tend to be "different" to ordinary people, and the "difference" manifests itself in different ways.

I wager that your favourite musicians, artists, authors etc may well have "different" personalities from the rest of us. But if I asked you what you thought of them, I doubt that you would describe them as tw@ts. Instead you would be celebrating their brilliant works.

My heroes include Beveridge, Beethoven, Bob Lord and Einstein. I reckon some historians could dish the dirt on all of them, but I would still remember them chiefly for their outstanding works - and I think it would be the same for you and your heroes Sinkov?

One of my heroes is Donald Trump, he deserves a medal imo for his successful efforts to get right up the noses of lefties, and inflict upon them severe cases of Trump Derangement Syndrome, but he is undoubtedly a tw@t. One of the best actors around imo, and someone I could watch all day is Steve Coogan, a prize tw@t, and even worse an obnoxious lefty prize tw@t to boot.

I could go on but you get my point I'm sure.

Aye, Sinkov. I know where you are coming from.

It seems to me that when we were young we were very rebellious. Then, probably because of family responsibilities, we became sensible.

Then, once the kids had flown the nest and we retired, we became cynical and rebellious again.

Remember the Hells Angels in the 60's and 70's? The movement seemed to disappear when they all got hitched. In the last ten years I have noticed them getting back on their bikes and back with their gangs and riding mob handed back to their old haunts. I think it is fantastic.
    Since we moved to Morecambe we see loads of them - especially during the Manx TT season, when they get the ferry from Heysham.

I'm not necessarily shoving you into that bracket Sinkov, but to say that your heroes include Trump (which I can't understand) and Coogan (I agree with you here) shows a rebellious streak.
    This is not a criticism by the way, I admire rebels - that's why I'm a Lib Dem.
    And YOU should be too

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    No-one knows why cavemen drew.
    Its just as likely that a natural formation or cloud looked very much like an animal; person or object that they recognised.
    And that inspired someone to copy it and drawing took off.
    It may have been used to explain, in drawing, something that undeveloped speech could not fully articulate.
    It may have been boredom or cooped up for long periods in caves due to bad weather.
    Cave drawings began as visualisations of their surrounds.
    For them there only was fauna and flora to copy and their own image.
    In that sense, of course, cave drawings were intimately linked to the closeness of nature. That was their practical boundary. That is what they saw; what they experienced. It doesn't make them into some sort of spiritual superman.
    Take away TV and books; electricity and light and you revert back to telling stories with either imaginary or visual illustrations (drawings)! It becomes the method you use when you take all our "improvements" away.
    A sudden disappearance of our civilisation will not turn us into spiritual wonders.
    But back to drawing. We paint today so "spiritually" using that media we are at the same point as our forefathers--no better no worse.
    We appear worse today because we are now in the billions of people and not the little tribes we once were.
    But our actions are no different.
    Cavemen fought over water holes and attacked other tribes who were weaker. It all the same old, same old--just more of it.

as you say - heeler..... being our conclusions are based on incomplete information....in that we know little of the lives of those early hunter-gatherers - - the best we can do is speculate - though we can, with confidence say that the conditions within any physical environment - help or hinder in the shaping of an individual or groups development....just as a clean knowledge within a pure nature can easily connect in harmonization to the lifeforce that flows through it all - so a clouded inward looking consciousness amongst a confused or manipulated nature, will find it's instinctive flow obstructed - causing imbalance and a feeling of loss....and leaving an empty space that will always look to be filled.

being why....I think that certain powers - those who exalted a physical/material God - realised that a connected people of unified oneness would be a danger to their controlling influence.....so deliberately thought to obstruct and replace it with the imaginary and wanting distortion of institutionalized religion - as to allow a free reign to tool the gradual draining of natures wealth and destroy the natural atttachment of man to the sacred.

Cheers.

People that follow dogma centered philosophy (dcp) believe in dogma,wrong sentiments and folish ideas,in fact all religions are dogma-centred.That is why no religion can tolerate any other religion.People that follow dcp exploit others in the name of providence for their own self interest.
    For example they claim they have been blessed a with divine revelation. They say that they had a dream in which God appeared before them and commanded to do a particular work,and on this pretext they exploit others to the full.

People that follow matter-centred philosophy (mcp) want to enjoy anything and everything for their own interest. The atom bomb is the creation of matter-centred people. In mbc, enjoyment of material objects is the main motive,as in Marxism. The proponents of mcp often resort to brute force to exploit others when it suits their purpose,as do the followers of mcp.

The followers of self-centred philosophy (scp) do everything only for self-interest, self -pleasure. In this case,as in the previous two, the psyhic radii may vary.A big radius means that one thinks about oneself in each and every sphere of life. In scp, individual selfishness is the motive ,as in capitalism.
    Dogma centred philosophies are a blending of self c p and matter c p. A blended theory is not a cult. A cult has something to do with practise- where there is no practical reflection there is no cult.

Those who follow God-centred philosophy (gcp) serve humanity and the entire living world with equal love and affection according to neo humanism. Even amongst gcp the radious may vary, but the center is God. In Gcp, God is the nucleus,and the radius is one's selfless love an devotion goes on increasing towards God.

Of these four , dogma cp are the worst. Next are matter c p, followed by self cp. Dogma cp have been responsible for the greatest blood baths in the human society, followed by mcp and scp.

Religions sometimes survive for a long time even they are full of dogmas. This is because they know how to 'twist' their teachings to deny the truth and adopt to different circumstances .Their purpose is to secure the intests of a special, priviledged class. Some religions have survived because they have associated themselves with God centred ideas,although they are not God centered.They make some dogmatic propositions about God animportantpart of their teaching,and on this basis they sentimentalize the minds of the people. These sentiments penetrate deeply into the human psyche.
    The main weapons of dcp are:

1) The propagation of stories,myths and parables to create superiority complexes.
    2) The propagation of stories,myths and parables to create inferiority complexes.
    3) The propagation of fear complex and infeariority complex amongs the people.

P R Sarkar.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Aye, Sinkov. I know where you are coming from.

It seems to me that when we were young we were very rebellious. Then, probably because of family responsibilities, we became sensible.

Then, once the kids had flown the nest and we retired, we became cynical and rebellious again.

Remember the Hells Angels in the 60's and 70's? The movement seemed to disappear when they all got hitched. In the last ten years I have noticed them getting back on their bikes and back with their gangs and riding mob handed back to their old haunts. I think it is fantastic.
    Since we moved to Morecambe we see loads of them - especially during the Manx TT season, when they get the ferry from Heysham.

I'm not necessarily shoving you into that bracket Sinkov, but to say that your heroes include Trump (which I can't understand) and Coogan (I agree with you here) shows a rebellious streak.
    This is not a criticism by the way, I admire rebels - that's why I'm a Lib Dem.
    And YOU should be too
    Morning 59/60, you point out the flaw in both the Corbyn and Remain theory that because they have garnered the youth vote, they are the future. It doesn't work like that though does it, the youth of today will grow older and change, they just don't know it yet. You can put me in the aging Hell's Angel bracket if you like, although I woudn't take a bike out in today's traffic and I can't afford a Harley, I did have a bike, long hair, and a leather jacket in the 60s, and can remember being chased down the prom at Blackpool by a group of not very pleasant mods. It surprised me how fast I could run at the prospect of a good kicking or possibly worse.

The LibDems eh, even at my age with a life long interest in politics I still don't get them, I don't know what they're for. They seem an irrelevance, a fringe party, and with Uncle Vince's latest derogatory remarks about the 17 million good and decent people who voted to leave the EU, including me, it seems that's the way they're going to stay.

Good to hear you're out and about again, how are the Wainwrights going ? I'm sure you've more sense than to be tackling any of them today.

........When we get older we read things not exactly as we want and then have to take our mate/friend Sinkov,he wrote ......

''I did have a bike, long hair, and a leather jacket in the 60s, '' Just like me, but I had shorter hair ,because the women that ran after me . I had to look the part!! ....and then...

''and can remember being chased down the prom at Blackpool by a group of not very pleasant '' See just like me! but then I read
    'MODS!'( I thought ....women!!! ) conclusion ,we all make mistakes when young! Deffinity no need to save on the shillings and pence!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)