+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRH quest to buy the freehold assets - Star article

HRH quest to buy the freehold assets - Star article

Last edited by blades58; 15-03-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Whilst I'm not jumping for joy at the prospect of our club having foreign owners who don't feel its heartbeat as Sheffielders do, it seems McCabe has decided he's gone as far on his journey with us as he can. Seems odd when we are close to returning to the top flight soon,if not this season,where he would see huge financial income streams.
    If the Prince is genuinely committed to taking us further whilst retaining our heritage and our home in S2 then que sera sera.

Interesting times ahead. HRH is an experienced football club owner who has done a five year apprentiship here. I feel less wary of him than I would of some Chinese consortium turning up and having their smiling faces photographed with red and white scarves around their necks. If he stumps up the cash, and buys King Kev out, then good for him, and (possibly) good for us too.

Personally, I'm concerned

It's now known that the Prince is embarking on a big property investment with a £200m fund to carry out an acquisition drive in partnership with some London based investment type company

This raises worrying questions for me

It seems apparent the Princes drive to purchase the assets are part of this acquisition drive

Does this means he sees the assets as merely an investment to sell on at the earliest profit making time? I would suggest so

And if so, he certainly is in it for the money only

Will he care who he sells to?

Will he care about the club, fans, heritage and history?

"Prince Abdullah will provide a “substantial” investment in Darin ahead of a £200m spending spree

Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud, the grandson of the founder of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the nephew of the former king, has joined Darin Partners as a shareholder and board member.

Following the move, Darin Partners is expected to invest around £200m in the UK in the next 12 months, more than doubling the size of the firm’s portfolio.

Although a figure for Prince Abdullah’s personal investment has not been revealed, it has been described as “substantial”.

The firm is now hunting for investment opportunities in London and is also considering investing in the regions, particularly the South East and major regional cities.

David Bell, chief executive and founder of Darin Partners, said the company was targeting properties “let to strong, stable tenants with inflation or fixed-rental uplifts” and that it was interested in investing in the UK’s burgeoning logistics sector.

“All of the team and shareholders at Darin Partners are very excited and honoured that Prince Abdullah has decided to join our shareholding board,” he said.

“We remain fully committed to providing our investors with a full-service real estate platform to source, execute and manage assets on their behalf. We believe Darin Partners’ local presence eliminates the disadvantage that our overseas shareholders and investors face when investing in the UK market.

“Our focus continues to be on buying long-dated income and building up the capital that’s paid up from the dividend.”

Accelerate acquisitions programme

Prince Abdullah’s investment in Darin Partners will allow it to accelerate its acquisition programme. Since its creation in 2015, it has acquired more than £175m of assets in the UK.

Bell added that Darin Partners, which manages UK real estate investments for family offices, funds, financial institutions and other investors from the Arab states of the Gulf, was also looking for investment opportunities in mainland Europe.
    Last edited by blades58; 15-03-2018 at 07:40 AM.

If I'm reading it right, the property investments are going to be London based, and so it would seem to rule out a purchase of SUFC as being part of this.

Its kind of inevitable that there will be change of ownership King Kev can't go on forever. If we are going to progress up the league (rather than being a perpetual decent Championship side, who's seasons finish in March...) then its going to take more dosh, and dosh is what HRH appears to have.

Quote Originally Posted by blades58 View Post
    Personally, I'm concerned

It's now known that the Prince is embarking on a big property investment with a £200m fund to carry out an acquisition drive in partnership with some London based investment type company

This raises worrying questions for me

It seems apparent the Princes drive to purchase the assets are part of this acquisition drive

Does this means he sees the assets as merely an investment to sell on at the earliest profit making time? I would suggest so
    A statement, released by United last month, confirmed Prince Abdullah was holding talks with fellow co-owner Kevin McCabe “regarding the transfer of ownership and control” in response to a process commenced by one of the Scarborough-based businessman’s companies. Although those negotiations have yet to be concluded, the terms of the agreement they signed five years ago stipulates Prince Abdullah must acquire the freehold of United’s stadium and long leaseholds covering the Copthorne Hotel, Enterprise Centre, their training ground and junior development complex in the city’s suburbs in order to become United’s sole-owner

maybe the prince is after a cheap deal for the stadium and all freehold properties and mcabe maybe is having none of it probably know the full sp after saturdays shareholders meeting

Personally, I would be much happier if we were owned by a born and bred “blade”. Failing that, some other British individual or company. I am uneasy about the prospect of total foreign control. This is nothing against HRH, because I do not know enough about him to pass judgement, but sooner or later, inevitably, his ownership will be passed to someone else.
    Because of my age, I am unlikely to see that happen, but I would like to think, even long after I have ceased to be, that Sheffield United would maintain its heritage and its place in the local community. The way football is going, there will be very few PL/FL clubs left with that affinity to the surrounding area. I would prefer United to be one of those.
    Sadly, there is nothing we supporters and minority shareholders can do, so as SBT has written above: “Que sera, sera”.
    Last edited by RonnieWaldock; 15-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    If I'm reading it right, the property investments are going to be London based, and so it would seem to rule out a purchase of SUFC as being part of this.

Its kind of inevitable that there will be change of ownership King Kev can't go on forever. If we are going to progress up the league (rather than being a perpetual decent Championship side, who's seasons finish in March...) then its going to take more dosh, and dosh is what HRH appears to have.
    Err the season's not over yet oh spotty pink one

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Err the season's not over yet oh spotty pink one
    Indeed it isn't Aya, except on the balance of probability. Even if we get in the play-offs, lets say we dump Villa out over two legs, we're going to have to beat Fulham at Wembley. Call me a pessimist if you like, but I reckon that needs more than we've got in the tank. No-one would be happier than me if we did, but I'm not daring to dream it.

My point was that we could finish in and around the mid to top half of the Championship with our current resources almost indefinately. But a real promotion push needs some proper money. This requires a.) someone with the money and b.) the daftness to want to do it. HRH would appear to be our man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast