+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    With the amount of abuse he gets on here, a lot of it merited, a lot of it just another bashing by the same boring keyboard bampots I thought he was excellent against Kilmarnock.

Very solid performance alongside McKenna. Solid in the air and the tackle. Kept it simple and was always looking for a pass out of defence.

Good to see.
    You have to judge a centre back on consistency, not just his better performances. O'Connor has played some good games for us, even strung a few good performances together at times, but the wheels always seem liable to come off and it's happened too often now for it to be just the odd uncharacteristic howler. What's even worse is that he often keeps his most abysmal performances for the most important games.

Will be punching the air if he leaves at the end of the season. Otherwise I fear he will become Considine Mark 2, a guy who should be emergency back up at best yet mysteriously in the starting 11 every damn week.

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    I thought he was excellent against Kilmarnock.
    He was indeed.

Rory Fallon was also immense against HIVs once day. He quit being a footballer after probably taking the hint that he wasn't very reliable as a footballer and now runs an Ice Cream business. Thats not a joke.

At the end of the day, he will have the odd great game...but he is NOT going to improve AFC.

GET RID

Quote Originally Posted by DonVincenzo (The II) View Post
    He was indeed.

Rory Fallon was also immense against HIVs once day. He quit being a footballer after probably taking the hint that he wasn't very reliable as a footballer and now runs an Ice Cream business. Thats not a joke.

At the end of the day, he will have the odd great game...but he is NOT going to improve AFC.

GET RID
    That sums it up for me quite nicely

I've been one of O'Connor's harshest critics recently.

That being said I was at the Thistle game and he played decent enough at centre back. I wasn't at the Killie game but by all accounts he was similarly ok.

However, he has put in some honking performances especially in midfield. He strikes me as a confidence player whose head goes down when things aren't going well' He then retreats into his shell resulting in him getting even worse for the remainder of the match.

I have witnessed McLean giving him absolute pelters on more than one occasion.

I think he is probably worthy of keeping his place in the defence until Devlin is fit to replace him. Ball looks a far better option than him in central midfield.

I have been critical of our midfield play recently. However, the team does not have any sort of focal point in attack. A half decent, strong striker who can hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play. Allowing us to secure possession further up the park and allow our more attacking minded players to link up with.Rooney has never been able to do that and May isn't that type of player either.
    Last edited by kigoretrout; 15-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    His poor performances haven't really been due to where he's played, more his lack of concentration and general casual nature he can't get away with.
    This sums him up entirely.

I'm all for composure and calmness on the ball but he swans about the place as he pleases with no urgency at all. Watch when he does make a good tackle, the swagger or daft walk that follows. Look for the ball again min!!!!!!

Passing diabolical, no positional awareness, slow. Seems more like a hurler or gaelic player.

Isn't wanting to sign a new deal.....thank f@ck.

Quote Originally Posted by DonVincenzo (The II) View Post
    He was indeed.

GET RID
    Now this is the Crux. I never said he was the answer or going to be the next best centre half in Scotland. Just pointing out that he deserves a bit of credit for a very professional performance. Usually it's just negative pish about him from a guy who doesn't even attend games.

It's the glee from some who just want to criticise and have a go at the team.

Wouldn't say I'm a big fan of O'Connor but I can recognise when he deserves credit for a good performance.

He is capable of having a good game but for a team with our aspirations he is too inconsistent with too many weaknesses (passing, pace, not commanding in air for a central defender, not a good organiser from what I see, lack of awareness of runs made by opposing forwards amongst others). The fact that he has started 38 out of 39 games so far this season (almost double what he had started by this time last season) reflects that we are a poorer team this year personnel wise. For a central defender also doesn't bring a particular goal threat given he is up for pretty much every corner and free kick (1 goal this season).

I think whether he is offered and signs a new contract at the end of the season will tell me how ambitious we are to truly build a team capable of competing with Celtic/sevco.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    He is capable of having a good game but for a team with our aspirations he is too inconsistent with too many weaknesses (passing, pace, not commanding in air for a central defender, not a good organiser from what I see, lack of awareness of runs made by opposing forwards amongst others). The fact that he has started 38 out of 39 games so far this season (almost double what he had started by this time last season) reflects that we are a poorer team this year personnel wise. For a central defender also doesn't bring a particular goal threat given he is up for pretty much every corner and free kick (1 goal this season).

I think whether he is offered and signs a new contract at the end of the season will tell me how ambitious we are to truly build a team capable of competing with Celtic/sevco.
    I believe he has been offered a new contract but is waiting to the end of the season to see if anything else comes in. I will me more than happy to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by kigoretrout View Post
    I believe he has been offered a new contract but is waiting to the end of the season to see if anything else comes in. I will me more than happy to see him go.
    Unless we are not paying him much (unlikely given he came from a Championship team) I really struggle to see that we can't do better with the money we are paying him

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    Unless we are not paying him much (unlikely given he came from a Championship team) I really struggle to see that we can't do better with the money we are paying him
    Hopefully we can get Devlin fit. In my opinion he is more than decent and certainly a better option than O'Connor and much that it saddens me big Kari.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast