+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Leeds Utd Players Salary - Higher or Lower or ?

A Leeds Utd Players Salary - Higher or Lower or ?

As a club being a Leeds player the wages scenario has always been a problem (Ridsdale apart),certainly as long as I can remember ........

We as fans all know the solution - individual details of contract often leak out and cause unrest,not easy man- management in squads particularly at a club like ours hence basic plus add on deals to secure players of varying skill factors within an age limit.

I wouldn't really say that the 'average' professional footballer has an actual skill, yet alone a rare one.............. but they're paid the going rate regardless.
    Assumption based upon if every professional footballer had a rare skill, would it still be a rare skill as the top 100 players are pulling in £300,000 a week.Compare that to top CEO's,Bankers,Real Estate Agents and it'll be on par too with the top 100 Corporates ............

Players are role models on and off the pitch but will be payed regardless of spitting,fighting, racial disputes, private affairs brought onto the pitch, etc.Such actions does have consequence but rarely breach of contract as the clubs will require sell on fees.

They are from different nationalities, but where a player comes from shouldn't have anything to do with their salary or price.The market has a high demand for them, but the market is essentially just built upon unfair financial distributions in honesty.

So what is a fair salary to pay a Leeds United player to get us into the top six or beyond and how should it be payed - £30,000 per week inc add on's after tax ?

Or complicated arrangements of 'off shore add on's aka Wolves who are showcasing mercenaries chasing bigger bucks at bigger clubs ?

Balancing act for sure - (personally I only get payed my money for performance related results,aka no result no pay).
    Effective for me but not so it seems for Leeds United players who are on a decent wedge regardless of performance or result or indeed individual skills factor.

Of course money should not come into it but it does as our past conveyor belt will testify - So how much ?

MOT

Broadly speaking;

The market will dictate how much players will be able to demand. This is no different to any other market where there is a finite supply and an infinite (nearly!) demand, and is exacerbated by just how much money certain clubs can afford to use in order to persuade players to join their player complement.

Old adage "pay peanuts, get monkeys". Unless your in a vocational environment, where people are prepared to forgo high wages because their satisfaction comes from something that isn't driven by monetary gain, then money talks.

So the question isn't "what is a fair salary" (no matter how its paid, annually, monthly, weekly etc), nor how you incentivise performance (if the principles of doing so aren't well known and practiced we have bigger problems!). It's what do you NEED to pay players in order to persuade those of quality to join the club in the hope of creating a squad capable of promotion.

I suspect if you wanted to put any kind of monetary value on that, you'd be heading north of £30k/week, unless the base is lower, and the final figure is conditional on promotion (or at least playoffs). But how does a GK benefit from such a structure, as they are unlikely to score,(bonus per clean sheet?), or a forward, who might well score, but can't be held responsible for leaks in defence (bonus per goal), with neither being a guarantee of promotion or playoff place. Answer is the base has to be good enough to guarantee quality, so we're back to the beginning!

On the cost side WTF11 - regarding the longer contracts scenario at ER,these can often lower a players incentives to perform to a high standard consistently.Although a consistent performance is required it is hardly 'contractible' due to the complexity of tasks a player has to cope with match by match so the rewarding of the number of appearances,goals/assists etc can lead to distortions in how players earn a bonus reward.So paying high amounts (add on's) for getting into the team via incentives would most likely also increase the injury risk and such personal contracted incentives may diminish the team spirit over time.

At most mainland Europe clubs pay is two-thirds fixed and one-third variable based on the success of the team and a player playing at least 60% of first team matches.This model was introduced at Man City and has been accepted and is used by most PL clubs now and is also the Championship.

In the Football League the potential bonus add on's becomes more significant and it is not unusual to see 'bonus packages' that could potentially earn players an additional 25-50% of his basic salary - particularly if a club is promoted and the player hits all his personal add on's of shirt sales,appearances,goals,tackle contributions,goal assists and match contribution target - all analysis requirements that are contained in players contracts today not to mention International call ups and off field club activities rewards as well...........

So - players £5 million/3 year contracts appear to be the requirement for success is MY consensus after viewing all PL and Championship clubs accounts for the prior two seasons and various private info given on matters via reputable source.

But with the pressure to compete among the top clubs becoming ever more intense - can every club afford to offer its best players lower wages and the opportunity to make up the difference in performance based pay ?

At the end of the day there will always be a club willing to offer more money as we know well or at least more guaranteed money if from a league above so a calculator will determine how much the Rad appears to need .........

ALAW - MOT

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    On the cost side WTF11 - regarding the longer contracts scenario at ER,these can often lower a players incentives to perform to a high standard consistently.Although a consistent performance is required it is hardly 'contractible' due to the complexity of tasks a player has to cope with match by match so the rewarding of the number of appearances,goals/assists etc can lead to distortions in how players earn a bonus reward.So paying high amounts (add on's) for getting into the team via incentives would most likely also increase the injury risk and such personal contracted incentives may diminish the team spirit over time.

At most mainland Europe clubs pay is two-thirds fixed and one-third variable based on the success of the team and a player playing at least 60% of first team matches.This model was introduced at Man City and has been accepted and is used by most PL clubs now and is also the Championship.

In the Football League the potential bonus add on's becomes more significant and it is not unusual to see 'bonus packages' that could potentially earn players an additional 25-50% of his basic salary - particularly if a club is promoted and the player hits all his personal add on's of shirt sales,appearances,goals,tackle contributions,goal assists and match contribution target - all analysis requirements that are contained in players contracts today not to mention International call ups and off field club activities rewards as well...........

So - players £5 million/3 year contracts appear to be the requirement for success is MY consensus after viewing all PL and Championship clubs accounts for the prior two seasons and various private info given on matters via reputable source.

But with the pressure to compete among the top clubs becoming ever more intense - can every club afford to offer its best players lower wages and the opportunity to make up the difference in performance based pay ?

At the end of the day there will always be a club willing to offer more money as we know well or at least more guaranteed money if from a league above so a calculator will determine how much the Rad appears to need .........

ALAW - MOT
    there is a very good section in The Numbers Game on the correlation between level of wages and succcess which is well researched - suggest you look at that.

two indirectly loosely connected points; not sure I would say what players are worth but more what is the going rate. Hard to say many (and many would say any) sports person is worth (depending how you define/use the word) more than a million pounds per year using ordinary criteria applicable to the majority of the population.

The tv sponsorship deals for the IPL are quite interesting. If the grounds are less than full then the teams
    get less money I think on a tapering scale as a result tickets are cheap or free to encourage attendance. Wish more of that was seem in our leagues.

This book The Numbers Game ...... I ordered it and still not had chance to read it as husband took it to read and then gave it to my son to read who then passed it on to my elder son and ......... so not bloody sure when my 'numbers up' to read it.

Regarding attendances/salaries....... I learned early on that it is very tough to sell tickets if there is not an emotional connection between the Band/Performer and its fan base. The Rad knew before he walked in that tickets would sell so now he'll have to adopt a differing approach if tickets do not sell.

In football - Building this fan bond is not necessarily about winning games, it is more about putting your fans interest first while creating a memorable experience every time they walk through your doors. Over time this is recognised and appreciated - the Rad is obviously well aware that while creating a stronger bond in that a larger fan base will buy tickets through the wins and losses a team ethic of putting in a performance every time is crucial and and in this respect he has my sympathy and backing with regard to his recent comments.

He's invested and implemented new expensive media oriented fan structures,via heavy marketing techniques giving supporters tools to share the events on offer and tailored his messages to different groups of fans.

This week he has publicly made an emotional connection to Leeds fans after digesting given direct fans information of various 'out pouring' over players performances and how he will address matters after seeking all legal clarification over financing issues with knowledge not dissimilar to below team building strategies below............

Experienced players pay demands .......... season 17/18 .....

Championship - PL - French La Ligue 1

Championship - I noticed Snoddy at Villa is pulling in £40,000 per week & John Terry £60,000 per week - both been well rewarded despite age.......https://sillyseason.com/salary/aston...alaries-99599/

PL Everton - Experienced players well rewarded ...........https://sillyseason.com/salary/evert...laries-101493/

French Ligue 1 - At the other end of spectrum PSG clever use of 'tax advantage' complexity shows how experienced players basic salaries aka Wolves stylecan be effective............https://sillyseason.com/football/eur...alaries-69048/

Repossess the book Mrs O - I suspect you will find it fascinating.

St Pauli in Germany is an interesting with a very close fan bond.

far more than 15 grand a week mrs o , if you want to get players who will get us out of this league .

wages are only part of the problem though, because radrizaani knows that only too well by now , bringing lasogga here was desperation tactics, because he would not go out and pay top dollar for a quality striker , he would not replace bartley , he made cooper captain and put him on a four year deal lol , the writing was on the wall then .

a lack of ambiton and investment from the top results in failiure like we have seen this season , promotion will only be achieved by an owner who realises that you have to speculate to accumulate .

another season like we have witnessed this season , will only result in one thing happening, another takeover , his five year plan is pure fantasy now , unless major investment is ploughed in to the team. many fans already know that wont happen and saiz and jansson will both be gone, before the season starts in august, because 15 grand a week although silly money in the real world .
    is absolutely nothing if you are wanting to keep and get you quality players who can get this club promotion .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)