+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lai saying bye

Lai saying bye

If reports are right & Jenkins has been told to prepare for Championship football within our means then that, in other words, is Lai saying bye
    Get my money out as much and as quick- the football waas never an interest . if not the premier league he could not care where we fall
    I said it before the Championship will be our ceiling it may not be our floor.
    That it has come to this , disinterested owner, pathetic amateurish board, disinterested players, manager hung out to dry
    Not just sad but ashamed and embarrassed

Quote Originally Posted by vikingwarriorking View Post
    If reports are right & Jenkins has been told to prepare for Championship football within our means then that, in other words, is Lai saying bye
    Get my money out as much and as quick- the football waas never an interest . if not the premier league he could not care where we fall
    I said it before the Championship will be our ceiling it may not be our floor.
    That it has come to this , disinterested owner, pathetic amateurish board, disinterested players, manager hung out to dry
    Not just sad but ashamed and embarrassed
    All total guess work mate,no one yet knows what his intentions are and I take no notice of speculation

If Lai does go I hope there is a ruling or a law that prevents him from running off with the parachute payment as that could put us right up the creek without a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    All total guess work mate,no one yet knows what his intentions are and I take no notice of speculation

That said, there's been no intent of passion from him so far, and you reap what you sow - in our case feck all, and an embarrassment of a Board, players who are disinterested, and a manager who has taken us backwards!

so whilst you can not speculate for next year, on this years showing, it's an evens bet we will continue to go down the plug hole!

Shambles of a Board! Even Mark Hughes has a bonus of around 2 million to keep the club up and we persevere with a knob to save pennies!

If.......................
    Ah, IF...... that mystical word.

So full of possibilities, so fraught with danger, and so often trotted out by people who really don't have a clue regarding the intentions of others. If it rains tomorrow I'll get wet whilst walking through the park, but if it doesn't I probably won't unless I get pushed into a pond.

I don’t have a clue what his intentions are either, but personally I’m quite glad he appears to be taking a closer interest in the club. Why wouldn’t he start to prepare for next season? You state that we’re a shambles so surely sending someone in to complete a thorough review is the right thing to do. Rather than saying goodbye, it could just as equally be a statement of intent regarding the longer term protection of his investment. Albion.

He’s already addressed some issues with the board by sacking some of its more high profile ‘earners’. Pardew will most likely be next, although I’ve a funny feeling Hammond may hang on by the skin of his teeth. Don’t quote me on that though as I’ve as much idea as your good self. But if we’re so ‘pathetic’ and ‘amateurish’ at present then surely you think the first three are a good way to start?

Do I think he paid too much for what he's bought? Yes. Do I think he's sold us short with funds thus far? No, on the advice of the board he actually sanctioned a fair old whack during the summer transfer window and spent high on wages during the January one. He said from the beginning the club was still going to be self-financed by Sky and BT money, so he hasn’t broken any promises there. Do I think that money was invested wisely? No I do not, but then I doubt it's for a want of trying on his behalf. I feel he's been very, very badly advised and let down by members of the board who adopted a very lax attitude regarding our budgets.

Is he looking to address our current failings? I’d say so as evidenced by the fore mentioned sacking of Goodman and Williams, and also with the subsequent appointment of Jenkins. The appointment of Jenkins as our CEO is controversial as he is not a ‘football man’. He loves nothing better than crunching numbers. But then our former ‘football men’ didn’t exactly do a good job did they? Will it be plain sailing next season? Probably not, but I think we'll see a much tighter ship next term which at first glance is a good thing, because we’ll need it to be.

While obviously concerned as to the future of our club I'm not going to worry about what Mr Lai does in the short to medium term. Why? Because there's nothing I can do about it, any other reasons? Because he'd be a fool of epic proportions to asset strip, and then walk away from an investment which has been overpaid for in the first instance. He’d be effectively choosing to cripple his investment group’s portfolio to a point where our club could no longer achieve optimum returns. In fairness I haven't heard of too many billionaires who think that’s good business practice.

Have you?
    Last edited by Albionic68; 15-03-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post

So full of possibilities, so fraught with danger, and so often trotted out by people who really don't have a clue regarding the intentions of others. If it rains tomorrow I'll get wet whilst walking through the park, but if it doesn't I probably won't unless I get pushed into a pond.

I don’t have a clue what his intentions are either, but personally I’m quite glad he appears to be taking a closer interest in the club. Why wouldn’t he start to prepare for next season? You state that we’re a shambles so surely sending someone in to complete a thorough review is the right thing to do. Rather than saying goodbye, it could just as equally be a statement of intent regarding the longer term protection of his investment. Albion.

He’s already addressed some issues with the board by sacking some of its more high profile ‘earners’. Pardew will most likely be next, although I’ve a funny feeling Hammond may hang on by the skin of his teeth. Don’t quote me on that though as I’ve as much idea as your good self. But if we’re so ‘pathetic’ and ‘amateurish’ at present then surely you think the first three are a good way to start?

Do I think he paid too much for what he's bought? Yes. Do I think he's sold us short with funds thus far? No, on the advice of the board he actually sanctioned a fair old whack during the summer transfer window and spent high on wages during the January one. He said from the beginning the club was still going to be self-financed by Sky and BT money, so he hasn’t broken any promises there. Do I think that money was invested wisely? No I do not, but then I doubt it's for a want of trying on his behalf. I feel he's been very, very badly advised and let down by members of the board who adopted a very lax attitude regarding our budgets.

Is he looking to address our current failings? I’d say so as evidenced by the fore mentioned sacking of Goodman and Williams, and also with the subsequent appointment of Jenkins. The appointment of Jenkins as our CEO is controversial as he is not a ‘football man’. He loves nothing better than crunching numbers. But then our former ‘football men’ didn’t exactly do a good job did they? Will it be plain sailing next season? Probably not, but I think we'll see a much tighter ship next term which at first glance is a good thing, because we’ll need it to be.

While obviously concerned as to the future of our club I'm not going to worry about what Mr Lai does in the short to medium term. Why? Because there's nothing I can do about it, any other reasons? Because he'd be a fool of epic proportions to asset strip, and then walk away from an investment which has been overpaid for in the first instance. He’d be effectively choosing to cripple his investment group’s portfolio to a point where our club could no longer achieve optimum returns. In fairness I haven't heard of too many billionaires who think that’s good business practice.

Have you?
    I think your case is well argued- and of course we do not know.
    However I think Lai realises that to be involved in a business he knows nothing about, is 3000 miles away from and is a "failedStrategy" ie a premiershipp vlub for home project leverage & that is a dead end project in his portfolio.
    I think his review is to asset strip & minimise his losses- parachute payments, player sales , reduced wage bill etc.
    If he can get out even I think he will.
    Billionaires do not flog dead horses

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post

Have you?
    Spot on!

I think your case is well argued- and of course we do not know.
    However I think Lai realises that to be involved in a business he knows nothing about, is 3000 miles away from and is a "failedStrategy" ie a premiershipp vlub for home project leverage & that is a dead end project in his portfolio.
    I think his review is to asset strip & minimise his losses- parachute payments, player sales , reduced wage bill etc.
    If he can get out even I think he will.
    Billionaires do not flog dead horses
    Valid points.

I guess we'll find out exactly what his intentions are soon enough.

All the best chap .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)