+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The eventual new Grandstand......

The eventual new Grandstand......

Dumfries deserves a quality stadium, capable of generating income 365 days of the year and it is on this cornerstone that all of us can make Queen of the South a sustainable, successful club. This cannot be achieved by a part-time club.

The above was a statement by the Torquay United Chairman assuring their fans of their ambitions. I’ve just edited the above to remind Billy Hewitson if his commitment to all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Dumfries deserves a quality stadium, capable of generating income 365 days of the year and it is on this cornerstone that all of us can make Queen of the South a sustainable, successful club. This cannot be achieved by a part-time club.

The above was a statement by the Torquay United Chairman assuring their fans of their ambitions. I’ve just edited the above to remind Billy Hewitson if his commitment to all of us!

fully agree ,and i can mind our chairman on border tv a good few years ago talking about our ambitions and how big he sees queens and where we should be as a mid table spl team ,and the new stand was mentioned then aswell ,we seem to take 1 step forward then 2 steps back ,i just laugh it off now when queens come out with talk of ambition as nothing ever moves forward in these rants ,there just a gimick to try get fans in which aint working ,we are in a catch 22 situation at queens ,possible floating fans aint willing to pay to watch queens in there current position so we are stuck with what we have ,on the flip side we try going for it and match these ambitions with risk ,which will attract more fans how many i dont know , so what we have is either go for it or dont ,by not going for it we will eventually drop attendances more and more with our ageing support ,if we do go for it we risk everything but have the chance there of getting bigger and more fans ,so both have the same risk as far as i can see ,both ways could see the end of queens ,with one of them theres a glimmer of hope .

anyways with what i see in the championship it wouldnt take much investment to get up to the spl lol the championship looks very week atm .

Exactly Francis, I have to agree with your comments. I have been wondering why there are missing generations among our attendees at home games. Do you think the cheap fees for kids is really working? I was disappointed with the attendance against Dundee United the other night, even at £5 no one was interested. To be honest, if I was going to watch a Queens game it wouldn't really be because of the price, it would be because I wanted to go. It's the away games that really get to me though, we seem to be in the same towns up and down the country far too often and this disenthralls my desire to travel so frequent. We obviously have the wrong man in charge at the moment and if we could just get someone in with that bit more enthusiasm to take us to the next level, more people would make an effort despite the price.

That old saying Money doesn't grow on trees immediately springs to mind. The building of a new stadium is completely madness unless there is a huge investment in the club which at the moment looks unlikely. The chairman and his directors have worked wonders keeping the club full time and afloat with the development of the Queens Arena but how long this will last is debatable. The Dumfries public have been disappointing in turning out to support the team and this has not on the whole been because of lack of success on the field. Getting rid of Naysmith and the constant slagging of certain players does not help and in fact aggrivates the situation. The main problem is we are thin on the ground for class players as was evident against Dundee United who have several class players on view. We haven't the money to buy class players and we have to rely on on loan players which is usually short term. We must keep our academy going and this is the way ahead. There are undoubtedly tough times ahead with a possibility of going part-time and dare I say it relegation so we must be realistic. We have however a hard core support which includes many volunteers and I remain optimistic. I admire the lads in the Supporters Liaison Committee who are working their socks off to help the club.

I do not wish to comment on the recent revelations on Social Media concerning former empoyees of Queens as hopefully this will blow over.

Come away the Queens

I recall the Modern Era book that had plans for stands to be built at the Portland and Terregles terracing. I reckon what needs to be done firstly is to rebuild the dilapidated main stand that has been there from the Sixties. Hewitson is a builder after all. In saying that, Bill Barr of Barr Construction was Ayr United's chairman and ended up rebuilding Easter Road and Rugby Park as South Ayrshire Council kept knocking back any plans that Ayr had.

I'm not sure what the current rules are for membership to the Scottish Premiership with all-seater stadiums? It was in place for 6000 seats and was then scrapped back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    That old saying Money doesn't grow on trees immediately springs to mind. The building of a new stadium is completely madness unless there is a huge investment in the club which at the moment looks unlikely. The chairman and his directors have worked wonders keeping the club full time and afloat with the development of the Queens Arena but how long this will last is debatable. The Dumfries public have been disappointing in turning out to support the team and this has not on the whole been because of lack of success on the field. Getting rid of Naysmith and the constant slagging of certain players does not help and in fact aggrivates the situation. The main problem is we are thin on the ground for class players as was evident against Dundee United who have several class players on view. We haven't the money to buy class players and we have to rely on on loan players which is usually short term. We must keep our academy going and this is the way ahead. There are undoubtedly tough times ahead with a possibility of going part-time and dare I say it relegation so we must be realistic. We have however a hard core support which includes many volunteers and I remain optimistic. I admire the lads in the Supporters Liaison Committee who are working their socks off to help the club.
    Enough points on the board to avoid the bottom two places this season but unless there is a massive clearout
    of the current squad relegation could defo be on the cards for next season as the league will include better teams imo.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 16-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.

With Ayr United favourites to go up and Ross County perhaps relegated Queens could face lengthy journeys north next season with Caley in the league too. Ayr United turned full time so there is a possibility of only Dumbarton being part-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Enough points on the board to avoid the bottom two places this season but unless there is a massive clearout
    of the current squad relegation could defo be on the cards for next season as the league will include better teams imo.
    The present squad is not good enough for the play offs but shud perhaps be good enough for a relegation fight and let’s face it Ayr or Raith are no great shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    The present squad is not good enough for the play offs but shud perhaps be good enough for a relegation fight and let’s face it Ayr or Raith are no great shakes.

i dont know about that admin ,i think we have the squad there that can make the playoffs ,our trouble this season is we shoot ourselves in the foot tactically ,we dont play to our own strengths ,and our manager has too much faith in a couple of our players ,the rest are good enough ,i suggest if we play a 3-5-2 wingback formation we defo can get there ,3 central defenders would allow a marauder from defence ie rooney ,we prob have at least one of the best wingback players in the league in marshall ,the other side we would need to be a bit more defensive minded ,and with 3 players in the central mid we have cover in both directions with thomas looking to go forward and jakobs and thomson controlling ,and uptop dobbie would have someone there as a foil he couldnt be man marked as much with another beside him which i would like lyle doing this ,so there it is .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)