+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T - Cheltenham day four selections

O/T - Cheltenham day four selections

Interesting Gold Cup, I backed Might Bite in the RSA last year but can't see him as value due to question marks concerning stamina and temperament. I backed Native River at 9/1 ante post after his last win, he now looks on the skinny side at 9/2, so I'll tip Definitly Red (blame the owner for the spelling sid) who is still a tempting 12/1. I've also backed Farclas in the opener on the unmissable Skybet 'money back if you lose' offer, but I've also liked Apple's Shakira for a while.

1:30 Apple's Shakira
    2:10 Flying Tiger
    2:50 Chef Des Obeaux
    3:30 Definitly Red (e/w)
    4:10 Unioniste (e/w)
    4:50 Blow By Blow
    5:30 Born Survivor

An interesting if not obviously top class Gold Cup. Agree that Might Bite is too short, especially as he is unproven on the ground and let Double Trigger get very close last time, and I'm not sure he stays that well. If I were to bet ignoring the prices I'd probably plump for Native River but am going ew on Killultagh Vic at 10s which seems decent and he is classy. Disappointing today - two poor subsitutions last night (Cuey for Balko, and Yanworth for Penhill) cost me about £3,500 in foregone returns but hey ho.

1:30 Redician (w/o Apple's Shakira)
    2:10 Moon Racer (16s ew w/o Bleu et Rouge). I know he's struggled this year but if every horse runs to their best it's between him and Ivanovich and the latter has a terrible record on the expected ground.
    2:50 Chris's Dream
    3:30 Killultagh Vic
    4:10 Foxrock
    4:50 Flawless Escape
    5:30 Don't Touch It

Forgot to put my selections in yesterday--doh! only got a forecast up in race 1 and Supasundae e/w
    Stormy Ireland
    Ben Dundee e/w
    Chef Des Obeaux
    Mite Bite---Total Recall e/w
    Foxrock
    Flawless Escape--Carter McKay e/w
    Bouvreil e/w

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Forgot to put my selections in yesterday--doh! only got a forecast up in race 1 and Supasundae e/w
    Stormy Ireland
    Ben Dundee e/w
    Chef Des Obeaux
    Mite Bite---Total Recall e/w
    Foxrock
    Flawless Escape--Carter McKay e/w
    Bouvreil e/w
    What a crap day, obviously peaked to soon

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    What a crap day, obviously peaked to soon
    Crap day? Not for me! In the opening post I tipped 7 horses and mentioned two others I had backed. From those selections I had Farclas at 9/1, Native River at 9/1, and Blow By Blow at 11/1. These threads on the 4 days of Cheltenham have proved a lot, but I won't claim they prove I'm a good tipster (although the poster who said "My advice is do not follow this guy......he has no idea what he is doing......he is a fraud, a complete joke" has been left with copious amounts of egg on his face). I have been around long enough to know that I could easily move on to Aintree and tip a string of losers. For the sake of simplicity I'll take my basic selection on each race at SP, with a tenner on win only and a fiver on the each ways. For a stake of £280 over the four days even this mug punter approach would have yielded a return of £364.62. If you factor in just one of the offers I keep banging on about (best price guarantee), that return would rise to £446.50. If you then add in other offers like free bets on losers the return rises to around the £550 mark. As I said, I wouldn't encourage anyone to follow my selections, as I frequently tip losers, but I would strongly encourage anyone who likes a bet to follow my real advice and seek out the numerous offers the bookies make. In this case that advice would have made the difference between collecting £346.62 and £550ish.

I can actually end the post with 'QED' in the proper rather than pretentious sense!

Ouch. F*****g ouch!

Good sport though

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Crap day? Not for me! In the opening post I tipped 7 horses and mentioned two others I had backed. From those selections I had Farclas at 9/1, Native River at 9/1, and Blow By Blow at 11/1. These threads on the 4 days of Cheltenham have proved a lot, but I won't claim they prove I'm a good tipster (although the poster who said "My advice is do not follow this guy......he has no idea what he is doing......he is a fraud, a complete joke" has been left with copious amounts of egg on his face). I have been around long enough to know that I could easily move on to Aintree and tip a string of losers. For the sake of simplicity I'll take my basic selection on each race at SP, with a tenner on win only and a fiver on the each ways. For a stake of £280 over the four days even this mug punter approach would have yielded a return of £364.62. If you factor in just one of the offers I keep banging on about (best price guarantee), that return would rise to £446.50. If you then add in other offers like free bets on losers the return rises to around the £550 mark. As I said, I wouldn't encourage anyone to follow my selections, as I frequently tip losers, but I would strongly encourage anyone who likes a bet to follow my real advice and seek out the numerous offers the bookies make. In this case that advice would have made the difference between collecting £346.62 and £550ish.

I can actually end the post with 'QED' in the proper rather than pretentious sense!
    Had a bad last day myself Elite but a positive week overall, actually only lost 35 quid today but even if I minus it from the entire week I'm just over 150 up so it's better than a kick in the knackers... are you up or down on last year dude?

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Had a bad last day myself Elite but a positive week overall, actually only lost 35 quid today but even if I minus it from the entire week I'm just over 150 up so it's better than a kick in the knackers... are you up or down on last year dude?
    I must be well up on last year, when I was about even as I recall. Today was very difficult with lots of long priced winners, no winning favourites with only two of them managing even a place. It's been a great festival for the Irish, although the Brits managed to save face a bit today and the big three races stayed at home. On to Aintree with very healthy betting accounts on 12th April where it will probably be milder and drier by then. If so, the Cheltenham form on heavy might not translate too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I must be well up on last year, when I was about even as I recall. Today was very difficult with lots of long priced winners, no winning favourites with only two of them managing even a place. It's been a great festival for the Irish, although the Brits managed to save face a bit today and the big three races stayed at home. On to Aintree with very healthy betting accounts on 12th April where it will probably be milder and drier by then. If so, the Cheltenham form on heavy might not translate too well.
    Today was a total bugger alright, I though on 2 occasions I had the winner sown up and then it went backwards and in a hurry! I did have 2 quid each way on Farclas and really should of stuck a damn sight more on but bottled it....but as you said now on to Aintree... now there's a place where I simply have no luck... but hey stick a few tips up here closer to the day and that will at least give me a fighting chance